Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A new recruit? (Read 1827 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
A new recruit?
Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:34pm

We met up with friends yesterday at their little summer cottage, situated on an island and right next to the sea, and, as well as being surrounded by beautiful forest, has an amazing pebble beach. I, having thought that this was a possibility knowing what the coast of Finland can be like, had brought a fair few slings and the one guy there was really intrigued by the idea of slinging. A few distance shots out into the water was impressive enough that he wanted to have a go. We ended up slinging for quite a while and it was made extra fun when I stood up a wooden plank as a target. He got pretty good at Greek fairly quickly so I gifted him the sling I had given him to use. I am now down a seatbelt sling from vetryan (might have to inquire about a replacement... damn good sling and my coat pocket is feeling kind of empty), but I got a video today showing he was practising this morning and pulled off a very nice Greek style shot. A future Team Finnlandia member? Maybe Cheesy I've tried to get a few people interested in slinging, but it's never stuck. Maybe this time I've finally hooked someone.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: A new recruit?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:47pm

That's awesome!
I give most of my slings away like that hahaha
I also often include a sling when a client buys a collar or leash for their dog.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:51pm

Very cool. One person at a time my man. I’ve been lucky enough to get a couple people into slinging. One, a friend from Cali, I kind of helped get into slinging and mushroom hunting.

I believe he’s had some success hunting with it which makes me pretty happy. Always good seeing others find an appreciation for something which means so much to you.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:57pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:51pm:
Always good seeing others find an appreciation for something which means so much to you.

Exactly. I've mentioned it before but that was the best thing about the international in Mallorca. For the first time I was around people that actually knew about and enjoyed slinging. It would be an absolute dream to have a club started up over here, but it also seems a little intimidating and I have no time as it is. Perhaps some day sooner rather than later. Finding a good place to meet up would be the most difficult aspect I think.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 5:07pm

Kick wrote on Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:57pm:
It would be an absolute dream to have a club started up

I have been slinging at a local baseball field a lot recently. I've been thinking about making a sign the says "(TOWN) Slinging Club" and just putting it up when I'm practicing, because I've had about 3 or 4 people ask me about it while i'm slinging, but no one wanted to try it yet. I'm thinking if I put out a sign, maybe I can get some of the younger baseball players to try it. It would be great to get a bunch of youngin' s interested in slinging early, i'd imagine they'd be really good by their adulthood.

A baseball field is a pretty good place to practice. There are several pitching bullpens with wooden board backstops that are perfect for bouncing back lacrosse balls. I can sling from 24 m and just use one ball (until it ultimately cracks).

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 5:36pm

That's a pretty genius idea Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 7:59pm

I love slinging with a hard backstop, I feel like that’s when I sling the best

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 10:09pm

That's great Kick!  If he keeps it up, you should tell him to join the forum.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:10am

That’s great Kick!

As far as joining the forum... definitely invite them.  I honestly think we would have a lot more active forum members if the forum didn’t look like it was still optimized for dial-up Internet access.

I know it’s going to be a huge pain, but one of these days, the forum should migrate to a newer platform. It’ll never be easier. It only gets more difficult. The longer we go, the more great content will have to be moved or lost, but I think we are missing out on potential members by sticking with the old system.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 6:54am

Forums are already an ''outdated'' format so I think as it is is very very fine indeed

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:08pm

Reddit is little more than a giant group of forums.  Forums themselves are definitely not out of style.  This one just has terrible search features, out-dated graphics and iconography, and poor security.

I will admit that the old look is part of the charm, but if we ever plan to upgrade, it's not going to be easier down the road.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:20pm

Thats great. Hopefully he will definitely keep at it. Of course i can send out more, maybe do a trade at some point if you are interested.  I usually carry a few different for this very reason.  I give away so many seat belt slings. To alot of people i meet, and with every order on my etsy shop. I believe that the seat belt slings are almost the gateway for most people to get into slinging.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:23pm

They make for perfect beginner slings as they really hold the ammo. It was a small beach we were slinging on so I didn't fancy handing him a split pouch Cheesy A trade could be cool but I don't have anything good to trade... yet! I'm partway through making some slings which could be good enough to trade Cheesy

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:38pm

If its just a few seat belt slings. I dont need much on trade, but i can always send a few. I usually give beginners a seat belt sling, just in case they manage to lose it, by throwing it into the water, or woods. Lol

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:58pm

Well done, Kick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)