Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
All about Lucid Dreaming (Read 2648 times)
NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

All about Lucid Dreaming
Jul 23rd, 2020 at 12:23am

Lucid dreaming is the act of knowing that your dreaming, while dreaming. Simple right?
Once you realize you are dreaming, you can do anything you want with no limits. And I mean NO limits.

You could fly to the moon, turn the ground into macaroni and cheese, teleport to Narnia,
Finally hit 10 for 10 stone casts from 30 feet
Or anything fictional like that!!! Wink

In my lucid dreams, I often fly around, eat food, talk to fictional characters, and use superpowers (teleporting, time travel, etc.)

Do you guys have any experience with lucid dreaming?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: All about Lucid Dreaming
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 12:41am

My dreams can be varied, I wouldn’t say I’m aware I’m dreaming most of the time but I have had small instances where I have, most of the time I wake up soon after I realise it’s a dream.

Weirdest dream I had lately I actually died. Was hit by lightning and felt the life come out of me. I didn’t wake up straight away. Every other dream I ever recall I wake up as I would die, like falling and hitting the ground.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 2:41am

Just knowing I'm dreaming doesn't always give me control.  My Uncle Rick suggested that if I want to gain control of a dream all I have to do is look at my hands.  This sounded odd and unlikely to me and I didn't think I'd ever remember to do that during a dream.  Within a night or two I was having a dream about a drill sergeant giving me a really hard time.  I remembered what my uncle told me and looked at my hands.  I looked at the drill sergeant and told him that he'd look better in a pink tutu.  Sure enough at that instant he was wearing one. That took the wind out of his sails.  Then I decided to really test it and said that the room would look better with a pink elephant in it.  Marching into the room came the most beautifully bejeweled full sized pink elephant you ever saw. 
    The next time I remembered to look at my hands during a disturbing dream the results were more spotty.  It sort of worked but not exactly.  I find it hard to remember to look at my hands during my dreams these  days. 
    Tough they haven't happened for many years I also am prone to sleep paralysis episodes.  Basically you know you're asleep with your eyes opened and you can't do a damned thing about it.  You can see whatever your eyes are pointing at in the room but you can't move. If you try to move everything starts shaking.  The harder you try to move the more violent the shaking.  At first they were profoundly unpleasant but eventually I learned to tolerate them at least usually.  For a good portion of my life I thought my sleep paralysis was my own special version of insanity and never mentioned to anyone.  They I made contact with a doctor online from California who had done a study on it.  I was very relieved to know that it wasn't just me.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:27am

I have always wanted to lucid dream but have never managed it. I have quite vivid dreams fairly often but I haven't had control of them. I hadn't any truly terrible nightmares since I was a kid until really recently (last week I think) when I dreamt my dad fell down the stairs. It doesn't sound all that horrifying in the light of day but during the nightmare it was absolutely terrible. Woke up hyper-ventilating and everything.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:41am

I never had a full on lucid dream but have always wanted to. I did come close one night when I was in the state between dreaming and waking and I felt myself slipping into the dream world but without losing consciousness. I felt a buzzing around me and saw colors that seemed to buzz and beat rhythmically. I began changing it at will which was cool. Then it was over and I never could regain even that much control. Some day I’ll need to look into it more.

IP Logged

NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:54am

Morphy wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:41am:
I never had a full on lucid dream but have always wanted to. I did come close one night when I was in the state between dreaming and waking and I felt myself slipping into the dream world but without losing consciousness. I felt a buzzing around me and saw colors that seemed to buzz and beat rhythmically. I began changing it at will which was cool. Then it was over and I never could regain even that much control. Some day I’ll need to look into it more.

Sounds like a lucid dream if I've ever seen one!
There are some pretty beginner friendly techniques to learn to have lucid dreams more often, too.

IP Logged

NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:56am

Rat Man wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 2:41am:
  For a good portion of my life I thought my sleep paralysis was my own special version of insanity and never mentioned to anyone.  They I made contact with a doctor online from California who had done a study on it.  I was very relieved to know that it wasn't just me. 

You can actually stop sleep paralysis by breathing heavily and irregularly  Grin It sends a signal to your body that something is wrong, and it wakes you up

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 12:47pm

I think I've experienced lucid dreaming on a couple occasions, but after waking up I couldn't remember if I was in control of the dream, or just dreaming that I was.  I also usually don't retain information from dreams for very long.  Once I wake up, pretty much everything is gone after about minute unless I make an effort to keep thinking about something.

@Rat Man - I'll try to remember that 'look at your hands' thing.  That sounds pretty cool if it works.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:17pm

NimNom wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:56am:
Rat Man wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 2:41am:
  For a good portion of my life I thought my sleep paralysis was my own special version of insanity and never mentioned to anyone.  They I made contact with a doctor online from California who had done a study on it.  I was very relieved to know that it wasn't just me. 

You can actually stop sleep paralysis by breathing heavily and irregularly  Grin It sends a signal to your body that something is wrong, and it wakes you up

I'll have to try that.  I discovered on my own another method of waking myself up... wiggling my toes.  The only problem is that from the sleep paralysis state it's difficult to tell if I'm actually wiggling my toes or dreaming of doing it.  If I'm  dreaming I'm doing it then of course it doesn't work but quite often it does. 
    On another tangent, I've read that the shaking one experiences when  trying to move while in a sleep paralysis state is actually the beginning of an out of body experience.  If you can force yourself beyond the extremely unpleasant shaking you'll supposedly become an astral projection of yourself. I've read about this in several sources but I think that before I believe it completely I'll have to experience it for myself.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 10:41am

Always wanted to, but i have ptsd that happened 11 years ago,( nothing to do with my military service) and i dont dream very often. Very rarely do i dream, but when i do its usually nightmares.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 2:13am

Somehow I remembered to look at my hands and it worked Cheesy For a tiny bit anyway. I had had a beer earlier and alcohol always, without fail, messes with my dreams and my sleep so I'm not sure if it helped me or was the reason it was so short. I didn't really get a chance to do anything before my mind wandered back into dreaming regularly.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:18am

The first time I had a sleep paralysis episode after being married I almost scared my poor late wife Marie to death.  This was a profoundly unpleasant episode and I wanted out of it.  While still sound asleep and after some ghastly moaning I managed to tell Marie to "Wake me up!"  Of course being asleep it came out all mumbly and zombie-like.  She was holding my hands and I remember her almost crushing them in her terror.  But at least she did wake me up.  She told me that she thought it was her father who had recently died trying to reach her.  There were a handful of other times I asked her to wake me up from the sleep paralysis state.  Though she never really got used to it, after the first time it ceased to terrify her.  I asked daughter Kate to wake me up once too.  She's strange an thought it was cool. It's probably been at least twenty years since I've had a sleep paralysis spell.  I don't really miss them at all. 
    One thing I did notice over the years.  Sleep paralysis is much more likely to happen if you're fatigued or burned out when you go to bed.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 9:46pm

The few times I've experienced lucid dreaming it was very pleasant.  I wish I could do it more often.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 3:49pm

Ya it's usually about things I have to face. It's not usually very fun.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 4:12pm

I read a little about lucid dreaming once and one of the things they were saying to do was get into the habit of every 15 minutes reach out and touch a wall. If it feels solid you aren’t dreaming. The idea was after doing this for days or weeks you eventually begin to do it in your dream and realize it’s not solid and wake up in the dream. A similar idea was read something. If you can understand what’s said you know you are awake.

NimNom, seeing as you have experience with this sort of thing I have a question that might appear a little silly (I’m not sure it isn’t but hey).

So .... has there been any cases of two lucid dreamers meeting up in the lucid dream with each other together? Or possibly having lucid dreams about the future. I ask this last one because I swear I’ve had some pretty spot on dreams about future events as have some people I know and this concept intrigues me.

I sometimes wonder if maybe linear time in the dream state goes a little wonky and we get glimpses of things to come...?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris)