Send Topic Print
Hell's Kitchen (Read 1466 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Hell's Kitchen
Jul 20th, 2020 at 4:31pm

When you go from Cable TV to Streaming you find yourself binge watching every season of old shows.  Right now one of the shows I'm watching is Hell's Kitchen.  The show cracks me up.  As some of you might recall I cooked professionally in three different kitchens when I was a much younger man. 
    Each new season of HK starts with a new group of so called chefs.  The groups range in size from ten to fifteen participants.  The last man or woman standing after enduring Gordon Ramsey's abuse for ten or twelve shows wins a quarter million dollars and gets to be head chef at one of Gordon's restaurants.
      I wonder where they dig up these pathetic misfits.  Gordon is known for his abusive and filthy mouth.  If I had to deal with these people I'd probably be far worse. 
      In the first place there are only two states of being for food that you're serving in a restaurant.  It's either right or it's not.  There is no confusion;  no gray area.  For Gordon to ask that food be prepared properly isn't unreasonable. These people are supposed to be professional chefs after all.
      In the places I was employed working the line was some serious poopy.  You were expected to do ten things at once and do them all correctly, sometimes through sixteen hour shifts.  Every mistake made cost your bosses money SO YOU DIDN'T MAKE MISTAKES.  Ninety percent of the losers that go through Hell's Kitchen literally wouldn't last five minutes working the line in a real kitchen. 
    And they cry.  In all my time in the food industry I never saw anyone cry, ever.  Your boss screams, curses, throws things.... that's normal in any kitchen.  No one cries.  In Hell's Kitchen a few of the so called chefs are crying during every show. Like what the hell?
     I guess if the producers hired all competent chefs to compete the show wouldn't be as interesting.  I don't  blame Ramsey for hollering and cursing at all.  The collection of totally useless, helpless, hopeless, idiot doofus morons calling themselves chefs would drive the pope to curse. 
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2020 at 9:21pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Hell's Kitchen
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:41pm

Some threads take off and some bomb.  This one obviously didn't cut it.  Anyway, I'd like to add one more thing.  Those who never worked in the food industry probably see Gordon Ramsey as a prick.  Actually, he's a necessary evil.  Show me a restaurant  where everyone loves the manager/head chef/boss/whatever and I'll show you a dirty, filthy place that serves crap food.  A restaurant needs a Ramsey type character to crack the whip or it all  goes to hell.  And it's very easy for a restaurant to go to hell.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:29pm

I’ve lost count of how many threads of mine have bombed lol. Once I post a topic I rarely even think of it again unless someone posts on it.

My wife and I used to watch the show but I found it too stressful to watch him go off. I did think it was kind of funny how people would go on there and then start crying when he went nuts. I mean...what on Earth did you expect when you signed up? That’s literally the whole premise of the show.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:08am

It’s a reality show... which means reality doesn’t have much to do with it. Reality producers create drama for the camera. They fight dirty. If you think you can go on a reality show because you’re a great chef, you’re playing the wrong game. It’s about drama, not cooking. Contestants are constantly manipulated and played to look like fools. It’s all part of the game.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:38am

They often deliberately leave them to stew in waiting rooms for hours to get themon tired, frustrated, hungry etc. So then they go off on each other and you get great TV meltdowns. Same as Kubrick firing off a gun during the filming of The Shining.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 10:44am

I quite like cooking shows - but refuse to ever watch anything with ramsey in.
Just can't stand the man.

There's a restaurant 'fix' show ramsey does that is a direct ripoff of one by another english chef - that is Infinitely better.
Robert something - can't remember his surname but you can't miss him, the guys built like a brick outhouse. But Soooooo much better than ramsey.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 11:58am

Kitchen Nightmares is Ramsey's fix show.  I watch it if I have nothing better to do but it's very predictable.  My favorite cooking show is Chopped.  It's just about the cooking.  Drama is minimal.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 4:03pm

yeah chopped is pretty good.

Ah ha !
Robert Irvine - the show is called: Restaurant Impossible.
Just head and shoulders above 'kitchen nightmares'

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:04pm

The first five or so seasons of Top Chef are excellent. I do not personally like cooking shows, (wife loves them) but I really enjoyed that one. The world class quality of food some of them make and how they describe it makes me feel like I’ve been eating a hot plate of garbage my whole life.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:44pm

Masterchef Australia is a favourite of my wife's just because it's so incredibly positive. Unlike a lot of cooking shows which go for the angry, shouty, drama, super-competitive angle, they go for soft, everyone-helping-each-other, "Well done!" vibe. Far more pleasant to watch.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:15pm

Kick wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 3:44pm:
Masterchef Australia is a favourite of my wife's just because it's so incredibly positive. Unlike a lot of cooking shows which go for the angry, shouty, drama, super-competitive angle, they go for soft, everyone-helping-each-other, "Well done!" vibe. Far more pleasant to watch.

Yes, I very much enjoy competition shows where the task is the opponent and everyone is actually cheering for each other. When they fail, it's mostly because of small mistakes and/or the task being very difficult.  Great British Baking Show was great for this. None of that nasty BS between contestants.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 3:07pm

An odd thought just came to mind.  What if Gordon Ramsey got stuck in the hospital for a few weeks.  Imagine the scene as they bring him one hospital meal after another. I think it would be hilarious.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)