Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aches and Pains of Slinging (Read 2506 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Aches and Pains of Slinging
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 11:42pm

Captain_Twine wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 9:14pm:
Does the same hold true with slinging without ammunition to practice form? I've done this before, but am now having some serious misgivings about it. My thought is that since the sling is essentially an extension of the arm, the unreleased energy from the throw could potentially put strain on said arm?

I think it can to an extent.  Although if you're practicing form without a projectile, you can compensate for it because you'll feel the weight isn't there.  I've practiced motions like Figure-8 this way many times.

Where the danger comes in is if you lose your projectile early.  I had this happen just the other day.  I was testing out my new Y-sling.  It's taking a little getting used to how to throw it.  I had quite a few ice balls come out just a bit early.  And then I felt a little tweak in my elbow because there wasn't anything there for the actual throw.  I had to stop early because it happened a few times and I didn't want to actually hurt myself.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #16 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:08am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 11:42pm:
Where the danger comes in is if you lose your projectile early.

Yeah this is definitely where the damage can be done. I've done a lot of "dry firing" when practicing certain styles and I don't think it really does any damage to the sling and I don't think I've ever hurt myself. It's the same with moving anything around with your arm.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 7:50am

Early on I threw my arm out trying the Apache without any idea how to actually do it. My elbow used to hurt when I was using a different variation of the figure 8 but that’s long gone. My right shoulder does pop a bit more than my left which I assume is because of slinging but there’s no pain involved.

That being said stretching before slinging and low power warm up throws are a a really good idea. I’m convinced they help.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 1:01pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:58am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 11:11am

Guess who jumped into throwing full power with a super thin, super light distance sling using super small stones without warming up at all and now has a twinge in his shoulder.

This idiot.

Don't follow my example.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:24pm

Grin Generally the sling should reduce the strain on the body with throwing, not increase it

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:43pm

If you're stupid like me then it can increase the risk Cheesy I find it's easier to strain myself with longer slings than shorter ones.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 3:29pm

Kick wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:43pm:
If you're stupid like me then it can increase the risk Cheesy I find it's easier to strain myself with longer slings than shorter ones.

I’ve had similar experiences. Sometimes an improper throw with a longer sling doesn’t have enough tension on the cords and I end up throwing my arm out. Doesn’t happen a ton but I can think of a couple times. With shorter slings I’ve not experienced this.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:59am

I def did some damage to my shoulder when I first started slinging (obsessively).
Although rest was what it needed and it got better,  it was also a lot of work with exercises to get back to an acceptable state
I def warm up and treat my body kinder nowadays:)

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 2:01am

And it never went back 100%.
I'm fully functional nowadays but it is more susceptible to soreness etc if I overdo it

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)