Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aches and Pains of Slinging (Read 2458 times)
Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Progress, not perfection.

Central Minnesota, USA
Aches and Pains of Slinging
Jul 18th, 2020 at 5:21pm

As you may know, I have been getting back into slinging in the past month or two, after an absences of several years. I think I am making good progress, but one thing is clear: I am not as young as I used to be. I'm not "old" either. Let's just say I'm somewhere in the middle, and it definitely feels different than it did years ago.

My question is, under the assumption we have a group here representing various levels of age and physicality, what do you do to maintain, or condition, your body for slinging practice? What helps control or minimize the inevitable backaches and should pains?

I have a few things that seem to work pretty well for me, such as certain yoga postures (the side stretch onces), or simply hanging from a pull up bar. I'm just curious what others do, and how it works for them. Thanks.

May you be safe, be happy, be healthy, and live with ease.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Aches and Pains of Slinging
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 5:26pm

I don’t do anything in particular to keep fit for slinging but I do do lots of physical stuff that would keep me fit. Surfing, archery, tree climbing (my job), bike riding, hikes.
I think a little stretch before slinging is a good idea.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 7:27pm

and, I throw moderate effort for maybe 20 mins. Next day 25 or 30 mins. Slightly increase time and effort every day or every other day.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:03pm

walter wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 7:27pm:
and, I throw moderate effort for maybe 20 mins. Next day 25 or 30 mins. Slightly increase time and effort every day or every other day.

Makes sense. This is what I have been doing lately. Now that I think about it, I did do an unwise "marathon session" or two of slinging when I was first getting back into it. I had to take it easy for a week, and do plenty of stretching. I guess my interest overshot ability.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:29pm

I usually go through my slinging motion (with no sling) for a couple minutes.  And gradually increase the speed to get my arm and shoulder warmed up.  Then, as walter mention, keep things at a moderate level for a little while before trying to put a lot of power into any throws.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:23am

I keep jumping straight into almost full power slinging and it's really not good. It's a bad habit. I really should take my time to warm up.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 5:24am

To really not get exhausted or muscle ache from slinging I have to ''not wack'' but ''lob'' and sling with a systematic approach instead of a chaotic approach.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:02pm

I thought the term was "whang"? Whanging and lobbing.

John R.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:13pm

I'm another one who doesn't do anything in particular and haven't gotten sore.  I don't start out "lobbing" before
"whanging" either.  Then again, I usually don't throw as hard as I can, either.  I'd guess 75 to 90% for the majority of my throws.

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:37pm

Kick wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:23am:
I keep jumping straight into almost full power slinging and it's really not good. It's a bad habit. I really should take my time to warm up.

If I am not mindful, I have a habit of doing this as well. Then the right side of my lower back reminds me the next day. It's an old karate injury from 10 years ago. I've learned to live with it.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:58pm

I feel it mostly in my arm and shoulder which is also confirmation I'm not using my hips enough.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:36pm

Wenn man Schmerzen hat, war das Training falsch.
Eine gute gymnastic ist Gold wert.
Ich benutze gerne ein kleines Gerät. Es trainiert sehr gut die Handgelenke 😁

_20200719_202225.JPG (1080 KB | 33 )
_20200719_202225.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:40pm

I've had some luck recently by expanding my repertoire of stretches and yoga postures I go through before and after slinging.

I've come to the conclusion that the main source of pain or discomfort isn't so much due to "slinging" per se, but due to the old karate injury becoming inflamed from pretty much any hip-driven, rotational, or rapidly accelerating movement on my right side (whether it's a karate round kick, using a sling, any other throwing type of movement).

It just takes a mindful approach to accommodate it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 9:14pm

I know that dry-firing a bow is always a terrible idea, since the energy that would normally be exerted on the projectile still has to go somewhere, and will often severely damage the bow. Does the same hold true with slinging without ammunition to practice form? I've done this before, but am now having some serious misgivings about it. My thought is that since the sling is essentially an extension of the arm, the unreleased energy from the throw could potentially put strain on said arm?

Now that I think about it, it could tie back to essentially the same risk in principle as my ill-thought-out "meteor sling."

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 10:55pm

Never thought of it like that, but I guess that a sling is still going to open and therefore use the energy as extra power to whip the release cord? I think a Captive release However might put extra strain on the body when “dry fired”.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)