Finish the Fight (Read 840 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Finish the Fight
Jul 14th, 2020 at 3:06pm

It’s here, the official PC port of Halo 3 with the Steam version of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. One of the best and most hyped video games of all time. For any of you who played Halo 3 when it first came out in 2007; post your memories of the game here.

I remember back in the day my older brother and his buds switched between COD MW and this. All I wanted to do was play campaign, because of how good Halo 2 was. I remember when I finally owned it, it was one of the happiest days of my life.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Finish the Fight
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:01pm

Ah Halo... I have to say, I've always preferred single player campaigns to multiplayer deathmatches so Halo 3 online didn't grab me so much and I don't Halo 3 as highly as the previous games. Halo 1 was just... Incredible. Unbelievable. Absolutely amazing game. The first Flood mission, 343 Guilty Spark,  came out of nowhere and I remember very clearly playing it for the first time, split screen with my friend. Actually pretty terrifying and just the best. Halo 2 was everything I wanted from a sequel and also just incredible to play. I played them both a hell of a lot to the point I have the Halo theme burned into my brain. It's playing as I write this Cheesy  I wonder if Halo 3 came at the wrong time for me. I was already moving away from videogames somewhat. It might have just been for the nostalgia but I enjoyed playing the first two more.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 8:02am

so can you play halo games as a proper game ? Ie: not an online thing with other humans messing things up ?
Didn't realise they were proper games as well as 'team nonsense' games.

No I don't play co-op video games.  Never really seen the point lol

But I am currently in an emulator groove.
Amazing what you can play on my cheapo athlon 300g apu.

The original halo came out on an old x-box as i recall, odds are I can emulate that pretty succesfully. Microsoft used pc hardware - so the emulators should be pretty efficient.
Have to look it up.  Thumbs Up

(checks wikipedia)
original x-box out in 2001 - yep that should not be aproblem !

Also I now know why the microsoft AI (Annoying Interruptus) is called Cortana ! Smiley

Well, apparently because it's microsoft and almost a pc - x-box emulation just hasn't really happened.
Oh well - back to playstation 2 emulators.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 4:43pm

If you do get the chance, you definitely should play the Halo games. I only went up to 3 and it was a good enough end to the arc fro me not to bother with the non-Bungie ones.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:40pm

well can't see it happening anytime soon.
Given how many games and consoles I've never played. And how good emulators have got, and tha fact that the roms are free and easy to find - I've got some years of games ahead of me Smiley

The first one I found - and the one that started me down this slippery slope was a game I rememberplaying in the arcade in stoke when I was at college.
My mate and I probably spent more time in that video game arcade than we did at college !
This was a LOOONG time ago - games were still 10p a play (approx 20 cents).
One of my favourites was  a game - that for over 20 years - I thought was called nuclear runner.
And when MAME became a 'thing' - I could never find it.

Then a few months ago I discovered it was actually called Ato,ic runner !
And not only was it easy to find, but an improved version was also released on the megadrive /genesis. An emulator for which I could install on my smart phone !
So I did and I can now play Atmic runner on my phone Smiley

It's kind of snowballed from there.

And also because there are currently NO decent 3d beat-em-ups on the switch.
Well there's mortal kombat - and i did buy it and it is rubbish Sad

I'm a tekken fan. No tekken on the switch.

But tekken 5 on the psp - is awesome when played on my computer - the graphics scale up and look amazing on a pc monitor.
LIkewise soul caliber is great on the dreamcast - as is DOA2.

I'm currently downloading retroarch. A multi console emulator base.
And all because there was a game 20 years ago called MDK - absolutely awesome game.
It came out on dos.
It's free - but running anything on dos on either my phone or pc is a real PITA.

I have a virtual machine installed running windows xp - 'cause my favourite single page dtp package won't run o windows 10. But installing som,ething similiar for dos is too compliated to setup for me to be bothered with.

I discovered (in the last hour) that mdk also came out on the playstation !
So playstation emulator it is Smiley

I'm, also seriously considering upgrading my processor to the ryzen 5 3400g - which currently has the world's best integrated graphics - actually good enough to run a switch emulator !

I can't afford it - I still don't have a car lol.
And I don't need it - it won't significantly speed up rendering on Openscad - the main reason I upgraded my work pc in the first place.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it anyway. 

Here's the thing.
A ryzen 5 3400g gives me a 4 core 8 thread cpu, that all by itself blows most i7's out the park. But coupled with the onboard vega 11 rx gpu (you need to spend £150 on a graphics card to get something equivalent) and for £140 - the value for money is just ridiculous. 

There's a reason I stopped playing games on a pc 20 odd years ago lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)