Send Topic Print
Bend in bow limbs (Read 3374 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Bend in bow limbs
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:44pm

Actually attempting to do the heat bending on the propeller twist. Got a pot of water steaming up, and a good outside fire, as soon as i started it, the winds picked up. But it might be a coiple of hours before i can actually attempt the bend to a 2x4, and i have a bunch of clamps. Hopefully it works out.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 11:31pm

Ryan, love the pics. They remind me of my early years boiling down maple syrupp Cheesy
Here is a pic of steaming a handle to put some set back in it, which will cause reflex in the limbs.
Under the foil is a turkey size oval water filled pan.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 6:19am

Walter, glad you like em, this is the exact setup we use in spring when we boil down syrup.  I will be checking the bow today, which i might have redo, just because when i checked it, there was lliterallyhad a couple of spoonfuls of water. I do have an old pressure cooker  pot i picked up at a yard sale that we can use to boil it. But not sure at the moment,  but i might just leave the bow after this. It was crazy.  Thank you for the pic.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 6:52pm

Unfortunately after 2 days of it clamped up to a 2x4, it didnt seem to move at all. I probably didnt do it correctly,  but i will be sanding it down a bit more. Then i MIGHT attempt the steam bend again, but with a bigger pot of water next time.  Or just leave it, and call it good and get a string and move on. The sanding time will give me time to think it out if iwant to redo it or not.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 9:05pm

Keep it up , bow building is a good skill to learn. I’ve never done any steaming but I’m interested to see how it goes.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 3:07am

Its aslowwork in progress,  i can only do it occassionally, due to preparation for winter uphere. Cutting tons of firewood.  I have been thinking on moving along with it, since it is my 1st bow

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 6:56pm

So i have decided that this bow is finished.  Still has the propeller twist in it,  but  i think for my 1st bow its good enough. I amjust waiting for the string to come in. Which i decided to just purchase a ready string. I didnt want to wait till next year to actually get around to making or learning how to make one. Also i need to purchase some cheap target arrows,  that will be in a few weeks.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 7:58pm

That's great!  I look forward to hearing how it goes when you get it strung.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 6:12pm

The string came in today. Of course i had to set it up.  The brace height is 6in. The bow has a hinge in a limb, and looks like some set. But i might be getting my terminology mixed up. I will look through the TBB to review again.i dont have a scale to check the draw weight but its low. Maybe 25 or 30 lbs.  Next step will be looking at arrows to fit. I mifgt be adding a riser, i will get some pics up the next time i get it strung up this week.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 7:34pm

Sounds good man.

'Set' is the natural bend a bow has when it isn't strung.  Almost all self bows will have at least a little set.  It's something that can also increase as the bow is broken in while you use it.  You should also only keep the bow strung when you're using it.  This can help minimize the amount of set that develops.

A 'hinge' is a section in a bow limb that bends more than the rest of the limb.  In general this is something you want to avoid because it's a weak spot in the bow.  Although it won't be as big of a problem with a light weight draw because there's less strain on the limbs overall.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 9:58am

Then i definitely have the terminology right.  I definitely have a hinge, as you can actually see it and notice it.when i take a pic of it. I will be attempting a pic of it today, in between the rain today.  Thats the plan at least. Thanks for the in. I haven't had an opportunity to actually consult the book.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)