Send Topic Print
Major Score (Read 1918 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Major Score
Jul 10th, 2020 at 4:28pm

As many of you know, my niece Julie supplies me with duck eggs for which I am grateful.  A few days ago I went to her house to pick up a batch of eggs and got a bonus.  A forty pound bag of venison steaks.  I am a happy camper.  I haven't hunted for decades so I don't get venison very often.  Yum!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Major Score
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 6:50pm

Nice!  I am jealous.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 7:31pm

Thats awesome.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 9:06am

A few years back, we were visiting my wife's grandparents andand they said a neighbour had gifted them some elk (moose for the North Americans) steaks the neighbour had recently hunted. I'm what they call these days a flexitarian (which is a term I dislike greatly because it makes me sound like some Silicon Valley tech-bro, but is probably accurate to my diet); I eat meat when it suits me but for the most part I go with vegetarian options. My wife said no thanks (she's the strict vehetarian) but I wasn't about to pass up on this opportunity. Absolutely delicious.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 9:14am

I actually find moose to possibly be better tasting then venison.  At some point i will be getting into hunting,  and enter the moose lottery to try and tag a moose. I have had a few in my yard, but i do see one occasionally walking the neighborhood

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 9:18am

I've had it a few times (a perk of being in Finland Cheesy) and it's really good. One restaurant I've gone to a lotfew has had elk meatballs on occasion. Last meal contender for sure.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 9:38pm

I think most hunters will agree that well cured venison tastes better than beef, elk better than venison and moose better than elk.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:00pm

Unfortunately I've never had Moose or Elk.  I had Antelope jerky once.  It was OK but gamey.  And I've eaten Buffalo several times.  I think it's heavenly. 
    Many people say that venison is too lean or dry and you need to cook it with bacon to add some fat content.  Though I certainly have nothing against adding bacon to anything, I totally disagree that venison is too lean.  It's venison's leanness that makes me prefer it to beef.  I think a lot of people overcook it and that's what makes theirs dry. 
   Back in the early 60s for a couple of weeks our supermarkets sold horse meat as an experiment to see how people would take to it.  We bought some and tried it.  It was excellent.  Every bit as good as the best beef.  Then they surveyed the customers and asked if they liked it and if they'd buy it again.  The responses were almost unanimous.  Everyone said they liked it but then wouldn't buy it again.  Though they're very tasty, Americans love horses too much to eat them.  If horse meat became available in our supermarkets again I would certainly buy it, as long as the price was right. 
    Currently I buy no beef.  It's too expensive for me.  I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but in America it's become ridiculously priced.   Even the cheapest cuts that used to sell for $1.19 a pound are six or seven dollars a pound now. You can keep it.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:23am

I've had sliced horse. Basically ham made from horse. Damn good. I think if you're going to eat the flesh of a dead animal, complaining about which animal is a bit ridiculous. I prefer meat I know was treated well in life nd given a good death (which is partly why I eat so little meat, the other reason being I prefer meat that hasn't been processed to hell) but other than that... fair game.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 1:56pm

Kick wrote on Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:23am:
I've had sliced horse. Basically ham made from horse. Damn good. I think if you're going to eat the flesh of a dead animal, complaining about which animal is a bit ridiculous. I prefer meat I know was treated well in life nd given a good death (which is partly why I eat so little meat, the other reason being I prefer meat that hasn't been processed to hell) but other than that... fair game.

Exactly.  To quote Motel Hell;  "Meat's meat and man's gotta eat!"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 11:39pm

I agree for the most part but the idea of slaughtering a dog to eat disgusts me. Theoretically though I guess it shouldn’t matter. Cows can also be very tame and kind and I don’t mind eating them.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2020 at 9:00am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 1:06am

I’ll eat almost anything, if it tastes half decent and it’s not poisonous it’s worth trying. Personally I don’t find a huge difference in ethics. Plants , fungi, animals etc all have their purpose and are all beautiful and brilliant in their own way. Unfortunately humans have dominated the whole planet and there will always be a negative association no matter what you eat. Life eats life. I love game and fish I hunted and caught myself. I’d love to be skilled enough to truely hunt and gather all my food but it’s a hard task a lost art and in most places illegal.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:18am

Remember, you have to share.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 11:02am

Nice. I'm working towards getting a deer this year. I swear it's been one thing after another between finishing graduate school doing hunter safety buying a houseand being a dad but THIS year the signs look good. I found some public land pretty close, deer tracks near a watering hole every time I've hiked around it. 

Now it's just a question of getting a load for the .357 rifle worked up. Slugging the barrel is the next step but haven't got there yet.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 10:15am

who locked this thread ?
Seems  bit weird. Anyway I've unlocked it.

Venison is one of my favourite meats. 

We dn't get it of ten and when we do it usually arrives as a gutted hoofed and headed carcase with the furry skin still attached.

They usually com,e from an estate in scotland, someone we know has a brothre who works there a sa gamekeeper. And when they're thinning the herd we occasionally fet one Smiley

I've got pretty good at skinning and butchering.
Nothing fancy, I tend to joint the legs and shoulders, remove the fillet (fabulous !) take the trimmings for use in making sausages.
Last one I used the neck and pelvis in a stew.
There is no waste Smiley

The knife I use for both the skinning and jointing is my Lansky world legal:

The shape of the blade makes it excellent for slinning and it holds a very serious edge.
The short wide blade is also excellent for working into joints and seperating the cartilage and bone.
It's my current dog walking bramble and brush clearing knife as well.
But like the guy says - you wouldn't carry it when shopping Smiley
Well not in the uk anyway.

If I can arsed I'll bone and roll the shoulders to make a better cooking joint. But I prefer the haunches cooked on the bone - mainly because I love gnawing bones.

I've had bison - but only stewed and, to be honest it had been well over cooked. so not a great example.

Never had moose or elk - I did spot a couple of kangaroo steaks in the freezer, that are scheduled for when I'm on my own Smiley

Couldn't eat dog, but other than that I've eaten most things.

Like kick I prefer animals that have had a decent life.

Mind you my very next job is to rip some pigeons apart.
My dad finally had some luck yesterday, so I've got 11 wood pigeons to process.

This entails pulling the wings off. Then you pull the skin over the breast bone and pull the breast bone and flight ,muscles off in one piece.
Takes under a minute.
It's quick, no knife required and the breast bone actually makes a great little joint.
You stuff the back cavity with sausage meat (homemade of course) wrap in bacon and either  roast or bbq - the last ones I did were on the bbq.

I also remove the breast as just meat.
a decent sized wood pigeon will yield two breast between 2-3 ounces each. There is virtually no other useable meat on a wild wood pigeon.
It makes fabulous biltong and jerky as well as adding flavour to a beef stew. And marinaded and kebabed goes great on the bbq.

Wood pigeons are the UK's most numerous and destructive vermin. They are responsible for wholescale destruction of crops of all kinds.
So eating them is doing the world a service.
Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)