Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Walking My Dogs (Read 554 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Walking My Dogs
Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:11am

I live on an 80 acre (40 hectares) farm.  Every morning after breakfast, I usually take my dogs for a walk around it.  I get some exercise, the dogs get some exercise, the dogs do their thing way away from the house and they get to do dog things like mark their territory.

However, I generally stop from about the 1st of July through mid November.  That's because white tail deer are having their fawns from about mid July through late October.  If the dogs come across a fawn, they kill it.  And eat it.  Which I'd rather they didn't do.  It's not like they're going to starve if they don't hunt something down to eat.  These are the same dogs that will sit on the porch and watch a squirrel run all over the yard, only a few feet away.   

So, I take the dogs walking around the pond, which is about 1/4 the distance I normally take them.  I just do it several times a day, usually morning, noonish and in the evening.

Does anyone else rearrange their schedule so their domestic animals and wild animals can sort of coexist?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Walking My Dogs
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 7:05pm

My dogs to old to catch anything these days , last thing she chased was a rabbit and she got nowhere close and was sore as hell after her burst of adrenaline

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 9:27pm

I used to be the custodian of two abandoned hound dogs. They were a menace to all wildlife but I would do whatever I could to keep them away from trouble. My dog Wendy back when she was alive and young was part rhodeisan ridgeback part greyhoud and she could run down a rabbit like it was nobodies business.

My next big dog is going to be a German Shepherd or some type of German Shepherd mix since the pure breds tend to have such problems with their hips. I’m sure he/she will be a menace as well.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 4:16pm

No, but I do adjust our walks seasonally.  During the cold months a good percentage of our walks are in our woods behind the lake.  Once the warmer weather starts these woods become very unpleasant to walk in.  If it was just the Deer Flies I could deal with them.  But then there are the ticks.  Many ticks, mostly Deer and Lonestar Ticks... the worst kind.  To top it all off the woods also gets infested with chiggers.  So April through October we skip the woods.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)