Send Topic Print
Bow Question (Read 2124 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Bow Question
Jul 5th, 2020 at 1:37pm

As kids we had bows and shot them all the time.  They were just cheap fiberglass bows but the did the job and we were pretty accurate with them. 
   I've been out of archery a very long time. Probably longer than most of you have been alive.  I'd like to get back into it.  Roomy Mike bought a compound bow but I didn't care for it at all.  Maybe he set it up wrong or maybe it is a piece of crap or maybe it was me.  The thing felt cumbersome and shot way low and to the left. 
   I'd just as soon start back up with a regular, old fashioned bow.... something I know I can shoot accurately right out of the box. And something simple without a bunch of junk hanging from it.  Just a bow.
   So what's a good brand?  You should know by now that I am very cheap so I'd be looking for a good value.  Something durable, dependable, but I don't want to break the bank.
    Suggestions?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Bow Question
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 4:58pm

Cant go wrong with a used Bear from EBay. I’ve bought many used bows and they are the best kept secret for new traditional bow users. A well made fiberglass bow from a reputable company will last decades when treated well. A 20 year old bow will usually shoot just as good as the day it was made and cost a lot less.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:59pm

You can go the super cheap route. The way iam doing it. Just learn a new skill and make your own. Its the only way i can afford a bow.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 6:53pm

Cheapest option- make a selfbow

Cheap option- Mandarin Duck Black hunter recurve or longbow- also Samick sage recurve, or something similar.

More expensive option- used Bear recurve.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 10:05pm

Just spent $8 for an oak board. The B55 for the string, less than a dollar. The bow is 51lbs @ 27"  Smiley
Or, a used Bear bow. Probably two or three hundred  Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:48am

If you want low poundage (26 lbs) I would go for the 60'' Rolan Snake recurve
This bow is used everywhere in archery shops for beginners because it's so durable and it can be abused. It's only about 40$. Very comfortable and relaxing to shoot if you don't have archer muscles yet.

Back when I hadn't shot bows I immediately went for a 45#. This was way too much for me and I sold the bow. Don't start too high if you don't have archer's muscles yet.

https://youtu.be/Lh3-wbl9FGk

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 6:46am

Let me reiterate what others have said about wood self-bows and add my own two cents because that is sort of my schtick...

Self-bows in the long run are by far the cheapest. Secondly, the first time you make a really decent shooter is nothing short of a revelation. You wont want to put it down.

Third, it adds a whole new facet to your life. It isn’t just about getting a bow and shooting it. It’s a new love and appreciation for wood, it’s properties and trees in general. It’s a connection to your gear and a sense of satisfaction that you will never understand going with factory made stuff. It’s a learning process of how things work and interact together, a process I really enjoy. Lastly, it’s an expression of yourself and your own creativity through primitive weapon making and hunting.

Can you tell I like this hobby yet?  Wink

I’ve never heard of a person go into this hobby who sticks with it long enough to be successful and come away feeling anything but a greater appreciation for nature and history as well as having a very positive way to spend their time.

So, easy answer: EBay.

Far better answer- consider making your own stuff. Just go in slowly and read a lot.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:31am

True

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:09pm

Kramer Ammons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ4Xl8usH6Y
(Modern)

HuntPrimitive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynK4jBQnc5s
(Stone age tools)

Backyard Boyer (PVC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxn-nPNhY8
(I have actually made this bow.  It shoots... okay.)

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 10:51pm

Here you go bear black bear compound bow turned into a warf or frankin bow.

https://youtu.be/iOavQYtW5uc

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 10:56pm

Here's how it shoots.

https://youtu.be/FbLyCbQlEiU

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 11:59pm

Thanks, guys.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)