« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:11am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Frictionless slings
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 6:32pm

Ich verstehe denn Gedanken. Das Problem verstehe ich nicht. Haben sie ein saubere Technik, ist die Form und das Gewicht fast egal. Juanjo Caballero schießt die schlechtesten Steine die sie sich vorstellen können. Kantig und von unterschiedlichsten gewichten. Und er trifft. Er gehört zu denn besten Mallorcas. Videos von ihm wurden hier immer wieder gezeigt. Ich selbst wähle meine Steine sehr sehr genau aus. Nicht nur die Form. Auch das Gewicht. Ja es gibt sogar eine bestimmte steinsorte die ich bevorzuge. Roter Granit aus Norwegen. In Deutschland finden sie diesen nur an der Ostsee. Er ist extrem stabil. Ich habe Steine die ich schon Jahre lang schieße ohne sie zu zerbrechen. Im Schnitt zerstöre ich im Jahr von diesem Stein maximal zwei Stück. Aber die Suche danach ist sehr mühsam.
Ich selbst erhöhe bei meiner sling die Reibung mit wax.
Glatte Steine halten sich besser. Und der Schuß erreicht eine sehr hohe führigkeit.
Und es Schützt meine sling vor Abrieb. Es gibt jedoch eine Methode Reibung zu verringern. Ich habe eine sling Konstruktion, welche auf Zug reagiert. Der brief ist aus Leder. Ich nannte diese sling Honda popular. Auf Zug zieht sich der Brief der Länge nach zusammen. Der Stein rollt nur noch auf der außen kante. So hat er sehr wenig Reibung. Nachteil. Die Sling ist schwierig zu schießen. Sie löst sehr viel schneller aus. Bevorzugt verwende ich kugelförmige Steine.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 6:51pm

A really frictionless sling would be a hard ring made to fit spherical ammo. Then the ring would just pivot on the retention cord and move out of the way of the projectile. Very little to move.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 7:28pm

Single cord design is easy but it still requires a “basket” pouch.
As in the pouch still has a retention and release side.

Truely I can’t see it being much of an advantage making a special sling to throw crap rocks. Crap rocks fly crap. No mater what amount of spin is placed on the stone it’s still aerodynamiclly flawed. Even if the internal ballistics is perfect the external ballistics isn’t.

I admire your persistence.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 7:41pm

What Mersa said.

I’m envisioning sort of the opposite. Instead of crap rocks what about weighted perfectly consistent darts that lock in to the single cord from the nock end of the dart. The “release tab” would just be a button on the actual retention cord that releases whatever locking mechanism that the dart hooked into. It would be far from primitive/traditional but I bet it would be fun to use. Potentially you could throw very heavy and deadly darts at metal glande speeds. Interesting combo there.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:55am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:11am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:41am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 5:05pm:
now the purpose of this thread, how do we design the best frictionless sling, or at least one that comes as close to it as possible?

A string attached to a weight is the closest we can get to frictionless. it feels weaker than a regular sling. it is similar to the y-sling on the regard that the force is felt mainly on the release cord and it's not equal between release and retention.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:21am

-

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:12am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:33am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:12am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 7:54am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:21am:
But why does it not feel as powerful?
Is it purely because of the trailing string?

As I said it feels less powerful, haven't gone through the effort to analyze and compare footage.
having most of the force on the release means you need a tighter grip and that costs speed.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:57am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:55am:

Now what Jaegoor is saying is interesting. He says that if you have a clean technology, the shape and weight are almost irrelevant. He is also saying that you can become accurate with bad stones.

Define accurate. Define bad stones.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:59am

well if you used steel or magnetite ammo and a flexible wire with a powerful electro magnet at the end.
Then you could simply switch the magnet off to release.

So that's not hard to do Smiley
You'd probably need to wear a back pack sized battery to get the magent strong enough. but it would work.

Obviously you still have air friction so the missile would still move about - like a baseball pitchers 'knuckle ball'.

But that's the best way to do it.

Until physicists wake up, realise they know bugger all and finally figure out how to control gravity. Then you're limited to magnetically active/sensitive materials.

On a side note, I have quite a few magnetite glands and also magnetite spheres - all would be great for slinging - the spheres with frintionless sling and the glandes with normal sling.
As you'd never recover them - I've never bothered slinging any.
Some years back they had them in poundland - and I bought quite a few Smiley

Look up 'snake eggs' on amazon Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:09am

I suppose even throwing a stone with your hand involves some friction - You could see the palm as the retention cord, and the fingers as the release cord. They "pinch" the projectile until the release, upon which the fingers fly forward to allow the stone to leave the hand. It's possible to get a rifle spin on a stone when throwing this way (This is how American footballs are thrown more accurately, apparently.) So, I would say that in order for a sling to be frictionless, it would either (A) have to be a fundamentally different kind of throw, or (B) made from a hypothetical frictionless material... But maybe not made from it entirely, or the whole sling would fly out of your hand. Grin

Sarosh wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:41am:
A string attached to a weight is the closest we can get to frictionless. it feels weaker than a regular sling. it is similar to the y-sling on the regard that the force is felt mainly on the release cord and it's not equal between release and retention.

Another thing that could come close to frictionless is essentially a rigid pole with a cup or bowl on the end. My reasoning is that it would be like tossing a ball in the air with an open palm. The motion would be essentially a quick thrust downrange, and the projectile would fly free - I guess that would be moving away from the sling, however, and more toward the catapult (Or maybe a javelin thrower?)

I feel like CA's idea with the electromagnet has the most merit when it comes to improving the single-cord design, but I wonder if it would be possible to create a mechanism built into the projectile that could do the same thing? Perhaps you could use a wire in a tube (Like they use in brake mechanisms on bicycles), attaching to some kind of hook or catch inside the projectile, and, when the wire is pulled (perhaps with some kind of trigger), lets the projectile free?

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 4:35pm

Alex, dies wird nicht funktionieren. Stößt ein magnet auf einen Leiter wird er abgestoßen. Aber auch gebremst. Ein ICE funktioniert etwas anders. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:07pm

then just use ordinary steel or iron Smiley
Ball bearings would work well.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)