Send Topic Print
Frictionless slings (Read 5054 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Frictionless slings
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:30pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 6:51pm:
A really frictionless sling would be a hard ring made to fit spherical ammo. Then the ring would just pivot on the retention cord and move out of the way of the projectile. Very little to move.

You mean like the ring sling described here?

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1554580056/15

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:40pm

Ok... now the more serious answer:

Without friction you don’t get rifling. Elongated glandes are more aerodynamic than spheres but need spin for stability.  Spheres lose a lot of energy to the wind and are less accurate.

The best ammo for a frictionless sling’s accuracy would be diabolo shaped, because it flies straight and stable with or without spin.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:41am

I drew up a quick sketch of my design for the reusable single-cord sling featuring essentially a bicycle brake line - Basically, when the trigger is held down, the wire causes the "hammer and anvil" retention mechanism (see schematic) to clamp down on a tab on the projectile. The user then simply has to let go of the trigger and the projectile would be released - At least, in theory. I don't have the resources to put something like this together and test it (Or at least I don't think I do...?) but it could be a cool thing to play around with. It would obviously require special ammunition, but if you could get a whole bunch of the "tabs" required to interface with the retention mechanism and glued them to the projectile of your choice with some kind of strong adhesive, you could pretty much use anything. (In the case of metal glandes, perhaps you could incorporate a tab shape into the mold, so that they're cast with one already attached?) At any rate, if it worked, it would incorporate the frictionlessness of the ball-and-string design without the drag of the cord - Or the hassle of having a cord on each projectile, for that matter.

Again, this is all in theory. Grin

Morphy wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 7:41pm:
Instead of crap rocks what about weighted perfectly consistent darts that lock in to the single cord from the nock end of the dart. The “release tab” would just be a button on the actual retention cord that releases whatever locking mechanism that the dart hooked into. It would be far from primitive/traditional but I bet it would be fun to use. Potentially you could throw very heavy and deadly darts at metal glande speeds. Interesting combo there.

Is this sort of what you were talking about here, Morphy?

I apologize in advance for my subpar handwriting.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:06am

Captain_Twine wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:41am:

LOL!  You shouldn’t apologize Smiley
If somebody (especially Morphy) ever complained about my handwriting, I would respond: “Sub-par handwriting?! My handwriting is fine. You’ve got a subpar face!”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:48am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:06am:

If somebody (especially Morphy) ever complained about my handwriting, I would respond: “Sub-par handwriting?! My handwriting is fine. You’ve got a subpar face!”

And I would reply that my face may be subpar but I have a butt that refuses to quit. Then we would both stand there awkwardly before walking away without saying another word. Game set match son.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:30am

Morphy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:48am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:06am:

And I would reply that my face may be subpar but I have a butt that refuses to quit. Then we would both stand there awkwardly before walking away without saying another word. Game set match son.

You mess with the bull... and you will reap the whirlwind!  We engineers invented awkward.  Then we optimized it’s manufacturing process, filed for a patent, and pitched it to angel investors!  I can out-awkward your endurance-filled butt all day long boy!

https://giphy.com/gifs/dl-a93jwI0wkWTQs

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:49am

@Cpt Twine... sorry to hijack your post to harass Morphy. We can take our lovers quarrel somewhere else and get back to the topic Grin

The concept is interesting. I would invert it though and have the release cord plug into the ammo instead of the other way. Maybe even spring loaded for a cleaner release.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:21pm

Ha ha, that's fine. Spring loaded is a good idea - I'll see what I can think up! For now though, I made an inverted version ("Toothed Plug v1"), though you'd have to drill a big enough hole in anything you're trying to throw with it. One flaw I could see with the design is how the trigger interacts with the retention mechanism - That is, you'd have to pull the trigger at just the right time to release the projectile, as opposed to releasing the trigger at that time. I feel like the latter function (As is featured in the "Hammer & Anvil" design) is more in line with the regular sling. I feel like you'd have to practice for a bit to get used to the inverted function. Now that I think about it though, that could be worked around, so maybe think on that a while.

toothed_plug_v1.png (150 KB | 14 )
toothed_plug_v1.png

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:13pm

Captain I like your design, similar to how I was imagining how I would do it but I still would have a standard style pouch and the release would “let go” of one side. Then you don’t need special ammo. It would almost  be a modified captive release style with a single cord . It could be electronic or manual. But I’m not sure it’s a huge improvement on a standard design

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 6:31pm

Mersa wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:13pm:
Captain I like your design, similar to how I was imagining how I would do it but I still would have a standard style pouch and the release would “let go” of one side. Then you don’t need special ammo. It would almost  be a modified captive release style with a single cord . It could be electronic or manual...

That's an interesting idea - It would definitely be a lot more simple. I dunno about the rest of you, but I don't have a 1/4" drill bit for an arm, so making the average slingstone compatible with my idea would be a bit complicated. Grin I have a sneaking suspicion that the presence of two "sides" or even a pouch might entail some friction, but I'd have to think about it a while.

Mersa wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:13pm:
...But I’m not sure it’s a huge improvement on a standard design.

I agree - This is a lot of trouble to get around having friction on release, ha ha. But I guess, as Jauke said it:

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:33am:
[I]t's a good brain exercize, and possibly a fun gimmick to use, like the shotgun sling.

It's been fun to speculate on for sure.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:06am

-

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:13am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:56am

-

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 10:46am

That looks really cool. I can't wait to see video of it in action.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #28 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 11:45am

-

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 11:52am

-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)