Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Arm throw compared to sling throw. (Read 3156 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Arm throw compared to sling throw.
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 4:08pm

Crazy fast. Reminds me of my sisters's boyfriend who's a former rugby player and built like a block of concrete. He's out ranged my slinging just throwing by hand before. It's, in fairness, not all that hard to out range me (I'm really not all that great at getting distance), but it is truly a sight to behold seeing him just launch stones across lakes like it's nothing. Makes all those feats of strength in the Viking sagas just that tad bit more believable.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 5:41am

CA,
I know about underarm softball pitching.
But I was thinking about the West Indies and Aussie fielders returning ball to bowler or aiming at stumps for run outs.
Srff

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 5:45am

Sarosh - her arm movement and release is similar to my underarm slinging technique.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:30am

Sigh. Here we go again. Smiley
The sling is not a mystical weapon imbued with ancient power that cannot be described by mortal maths. It’s a piece of string.  That string acts as a transmission system that converts the high-strength but slow speed of an arm into a faster motion of a rock... as CA said, it basically acts like an extension of the arm, but he is also grossly oversimplifying it. An arm-length sling does not double the speed, because the sling lags behind the hand at some angle that brings it closer to the center of rotation. The effective length of the arm extension is less than the length of the sling. If you assume that the arm moves in a circular motion, the sling increases the speed proportional to the effective added length.... if the arm moves at the same speed with or without a sling.

Now... on to the  original question: power. The sling does not create power. It transfers power from the body. If you transfer 80% “arm” power into a 120g rock with your arm, and 80% power with a sling, then the power of the rock is EXACTLY THE SAME!  Certain athletes have simply learned how to transfer power more efficiently without an extension.  I know most people don’t drive stick-shift anymore, but it’s a lot like driving a car at 60mph in second gear vs third gear... either way you’re driving 60 mph. It’s just a lot easier to do in a higher gear.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:44am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:30am:
Sigh. Here we go again. Smiley
The sling is not a mystical weapon imbued with ancient power that cannot be described by mortal maths. It’s a piece of string.  That string acts as a transmission system that converts the high-strength but slow speed of an arm into a faster motion of a rock... as CA said, it basically acts like an extension of the arm, but he is also grossly oversimplifying it. An arm-length sling does not double the speed, because the sling lags behind the hand at some angle that brings it closer to the center of rotation. The effective length of the arm extension is less than the length of the sling. If you assume that the arm moves in a circular motion, the sling increases the speed proportional to the effective added length.... if the arm moves at the same speed with or without a sling.

Now... on to the  original question: power. The sling does not create power. It transfers power from the body. If you transfer 80% “arm” power into a 120g rock with your arm, and 80% power with a sling, then the power of the rock is EXACTLY THE SAME!  Certain athletes have simply learned how to transfer power more efficiently without an extension.  I know most people don’t drive stick-shift anymore, but it’s a lot like driving a car at 60mph in second gear vs third gear... either way you’re driving 60 mph. It’s just a lot easier to do in a higher gear.

So if I read you right NOOC you, surprisingly I might add, are of the opinion that the sling is a mystical weapon imbued with ancient power that cannot be described by mortal maths?

I think that’s a new and bold direction to go considering especially you are an engineer who lets face it can be a stubborn lot. I do have to praise you for your forward thinking and opemindedness.

Along those same lines I tend to burn sage and center my chakras with an Amethyst crystal before heavy slinging sessions so as to harness my chi for maximum zen during my session.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:20am

Morphy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:44am:
So if I read you right NOOC you, surprisingly I might add, are of the opinion that the sling is a mystical weapon imbued with ancient power that cannot be described by mortal maths?

I think that’s a new and bold direction to go considering especially you are an engineer who lets face it can be a stubborn lot. I do have to praise you for your forward thinking and opemindedness.

Along those same lines I tend to burn sage and center my chakras with an Amethyst crystal before heavy slinging sessions so as to harness my chi for maximum zen during my session.

Grin That’s right Morphy... keep trolling my posts and I’m going to chakra your subpar face!   LOL!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:29am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:20am:
Morphy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:44am:

Grin That’s right Morphy... keep trolling my posts and I’m going to chakra your subpar face!   LOL!

It’s all out of love.  Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:59pm

I like the gear analogy, makes perfect sense.

I alway think of the sling as a sort of fly wheel. It can store energy and then release it all.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)