Send Topic Print
My First Post (Read 6722 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
My First Post
Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:18pm

If this isn't my first post, it's the first one from me that I could find.  It's amazing how green and ignorant I was.  I was using only Appu-slings made from leather bootlaces and Apache Style was the only one I knew.  Hey, we all had to start somewhere.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1233159453

There's some interesting input from mrboss in this thread.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: My First Post
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:36pm

Wow, Mr. Boss. I remember reading his posts. I don't think he's posted in a long time....Nope. 2011.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:21pm

That's cool Rat Man.  Although after reading through that topic, I have to ask.  Does anyone remember if Mr. Boss ever showed a video or map of a 300+ yard throw?  That would definitely be a great feat.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:36pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:21pm:
That's cool Rat Man.  Although after reading through that topic, I have to ask.  Does anyone remember if Mr. Boss ever showed a video or map of a 300+ yard throw?  That would definitely be a great feat.

Nope.  There were some vids of him slinging.  He used Pirouette style and did have a lot of power, but I don't recall him ever verifying his claim.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:36pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:27am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 5:26pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:36pm:
Don't agree with how Thomas said the apache is of a most standard and natural form of throw. To me it always felt the most unnatural because of that byzantine posture at the beginning. Now turkey overhand  and general overhand and underhand too do feel a lot more natural.

There is this guy on Youtube who curses a lot and uses piroutte and extremely long slings. I believe he touched 400m with lead

I think a major factor in distance is whether or not you're slinging with or against the wind. Shots with the wind can easily travel a lot further. Same for arrows. I guess in ancient times times it could've been very advantegous if the wind was on your side during times of battle

Yes, I remember him. Problem is you can't see a darn thing in his videos because it is so foggy and windy, and he uses tiny ammo. I do wonder whether or not he really did reach 400m.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 5:56pm

He may have gotten them pretty far out there. But without some type of proof all it will ever be is “maybe”. I tend to think he was getting them pretty far out there.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 3:07am

VoloundExpounds and he made a video where he calculated throws at 800m which seems... questionable honestly. I just can't see that happening even with lead and super light and thin slings. I don't know enough at the physics (and I certainly can't speak on the mathematics), but... I don't know. I'm sure he is getting them out there and may well have broken the record, but it's just so hard to verify that I think relying on the maths isn't the most accurate way of knowing. We need to see where they land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoN4EPpCJtQ

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 4:18am

Agreed, his claims are almost doubling actual records.
I dismissed these videos as soon as I watched them.
When it comes to distance slinging I think finding the projectile is a must and also flat ground. Anything less is a guess at best

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:02am

-

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:47am

I personally think 800m should be achievable with lead, though certainly at the top end of possibility with a very strong slinger. He doesn't measure 800m but predicts it given the 100m/s speed I believe. The speed calculation isn't shown but if it's legit then 800m range is probably about right. A theoretically perfect projectile at 100m/s would go about 1000m, and from the slinging paper that was circulating a few years back it seemed lead glandes achieved something like 90% of the range of theoretically perfect projectiles. Now, we can't be sure how this relationship scales up to 100m/s but it's probably a fair estimate to say 800m IF you do measure a lead glande at 100m/s. It may even be closer to 900m if the 90% relationship scales.

We also have precedent of Larry Bray hitting 400m+ with a *stone* which is aerodynamically very poor compared to a lead glande and (from memory) achieves only about 50% of the range of an idealised projectile (again according to the slinging paper). I believe that if Bray had done that same throw with a lead glande he would probably have been around the 700-800m mark.

I don't think we can say for sure that 800m is being hit until we see a measured throw. It's also possible or maybe even likely (given the very high results) that his speed calculations are overestimates. However, I don't think the claim can be rejected out of hand, it seems even if his speed measurements are overestimates it's still likely he's hitting over 500m and beating the WR mark. If I saw more about his speed measurement or his speed->distance calculation it could throw more light on how reliable the number of 800m is, but I don't think it's immediately unbelievable.

I'm also taking a lot from the slinging paper, if it turns out that lead only hits 50% more range than stones rather than almost doubling the range, then 800m sounds a lot less viable and would imply significantly higher slinging power than Bray, who for my money is the strongest recorded modern slinger. Having never slung with lead I have no personal experience to compare.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 10:17am

mr boss was an interesting kid.
Like all teenagers he already knew everything Smiley

Amazing how the older you get the more you realise you don't know.

not sure about 800 metres, but I reckon in his prime, larry bray could have broken 600 if he'd had  a lead glande.
Hell 25 years after his record, I watched him put a golf ball over 400 metres.

At those kinds of distrances, it's almost more about being able to actually find the missile, than achieving the distance Smiley 

And like every other person who's claimed such distances as 'normal' mrboss never managed to come up with any kind of evidence.
What a surpise Smiley

If you guys want some idle reading - look up 'gronk'.
I'm 90% certain that every single thing he ever said was made up - but somehow he was convincing enough that the 10% still exists lol

I mean if I write down some of the stuff I've done and that's happened to me over the last 50 odd years.
Some of it does stretch credibility Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 12:00pm

-

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 5:04pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 29th, 2020 at 12:00pm:
Has slinging.org become more polite compared to the early days?

Recently, say in the last year or two it’s definitely become less weird. I personally like a few interesting characters around to liven things up with random insanity. The last two I really remember were RS and Apex Apoc. Both very interesting characters that I miss lol.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 6:02pm

I forgot about Apex-apoc! By god that was an annoying time period. I've got to say, they added colour those particular members, but I also have far fewer headaches these days.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)