Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some advice. (Read 3131 times)
Shakli

City Slinger

Need some advice.
Jun 27th, 2020 at 5:06am

Made a new clip only to discover that one of my cameras was not filming.... so no video evidence but here is the situation and the conclusions:
I lengthened my sling from 37 to 50cm be able to hit the target at 30m more easily.
At 10m results stayed the same as far as accuracy.
At 20m I struggled to reach the target but after 30 practice throws got the same results as the shorter sling.
At 30m I had the same problems reaching the target with the 50cm sling as I did with the 37 Sad  Only way to reach the target was to aim higher then the actual target.  If I were going for distance I can understand that but I thought 30m should be a distance you can just aim for; or am I wrong?

Am I missing something for 30m distance?  My ammo is only 30g should I try something heavier?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Need some advice.
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 5:52am

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:37am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 7:22am

Und noch etwas ist zu beachten. Die Stellung Ihres Rotor verändert sich

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 10:34am

I wouldnt use a sling shorter than 60 cms. My preferred ammo is between 120-150 grams.

Try upgrading your gear to coincide with your upgraded distance.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 3:32pm

Shakli wrote on Jun 27th, 2020 at 5:06am:
Made a new clip only to discover that one of my cameras was not filming.... so no video evidence but here is the situation and the conclusions:
I lengthened my sling from 37 to 50cm be able to hit the target at 30m more easily.
At 10m results stayed the same as far as accuracy.
At 20m I struggled to reach the target but after 30 practice throws got the same results as the shorter sling.
At 30m I had the same problems reaching the target with the 50cm sling as I did with the 37 Sad  Only way to reach the target was to aim higher then the actual target.  If I were going for distance I can understand that but I thought 30m should be a distance you can just aim for; or am I wrong?

Am I missing something for 30m distance?  My ammo is only 30g should I try something heavier? 

You need to aim much higher to hit at 30m. I am not surprised that 30g ammo has a hard time reaching the target. My 143g lacrosse balls trajectory is much lower when I throw, so 30g must really drop off quick (wind resistance). I would follow Jauke's suggestion. Rusty balls are really nice. They can take some punishment. I can sling them as hard as I can and they don't break (yet).  But you can sling them soft too and they won't go far, as long as there is some sort of backstop.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:24pm

50 cm is still a pretty short sling IMO.  My ideal sling length is half my height or 38 inches... 96.52 cm.  I suggest you try a longer sling.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:46pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:24pm:
    50 cm is still a pretty short sling IMO.  My ideal sling length is half my height or 38 inches... 96.52 cm.  I suggest you try a longer sling. 

I agree with this, 50 cm is pretty short (this is folded right?) My preferred length, if I put my arms at my sides and hold the sling normally, it is a few inches above the ground. For me that is 27" (~70 cm).

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 5:09pm

Sie suchen eine optimal Länge im Verhältnis zum Körper? Es ist ganz einfach. Hinstellen, die Arme an der Seite hängen lassen. Die Sling der Hand.
Die Sling sollte bis einem Zentimeter über dem Boden reichen. Das ist eine optimale Personen bezogene sling Länge.  Cool

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 6:44pm

30 grams is too light for ammo. Try 100 to 125 grams.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 4:15am

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:37am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 4:54am

Thanks so much for the info.  Going to first make some rusty balls at around 120g-150g,  see how that goes before I change a second variable.  If I still have a problem then I will go for a longer sling. 

I use Greek style release not sure how much that makes a difference.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 9:39pm

Hey, ya like everyone said, a little more weight in your ammo will really help it maintain momentum at distance.
I enjoy Greek style a lot. Adding an extra rotation or two might help you harness more power too.
Keep at it! Remember to warm up too

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 2:54am

I was doing terribly at the International until I switched to Greek and got MUCH better results. It really does seem like a good style for accuracy but not necessarily for power.

For sling length, my current longest sling is a simple paracord sling that's 142cm centre of pouch to release knot. It's pretty darn huge but actually easy to use with the right technique which I think is true of all slings. A video David put up of Puchi slinging in Mallorca is what finally made long slings usable for me without hurting my arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmnXHQxi0E

Starting off the sling across the back or across the shoulders gives it that starting momentum that makes it possible to use without having to resort to the very inaccurate pirouette.

For other lengths, it's just practice and getting used to them and then understanding their limitations. If you have a 20cm sling, don't expect to throw across a football field, but that also doesn't mean it's useless. A quick overarm throw at short distances would suit it nicely. Know your sling.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:46am

50cm = 19 inches.
yeah that's really short.

My 20 metre sling is (gets it out of pocket and measures it) 22 inches

And with 60-100 gm stones I'd struggle with it at 30 metres - I mean I can throw a rock over 150 metres with it - but for accurcy you don't want to be putting that much effort into the throw.

So yep, heavier ammo and longer sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 3:04pm

Ok just tried 120g and 150g rusty balls.  With the 50cm sling I get the exact same results as I do with the 30g rusty balls. 
Easy to hit 10m
Not bad at 20m
Have to aim high to hit the 30m Sad

Then used a 140cm sling using the back release from the video Kick put up in the link.  Super easy to use and on my first attempt going gentle my 150g rusty ball soared over my 30m target coming to rest 60m away.

So my conclusion:  It is all about the length of the sling.  Weight of ammo from 30g to 150g seems to have no affect on distance with a short sling.  (With the longer sling I could not feel the 30g ammo and was not able to fire it properly)

Tomorrow I will cut down that 150cm sling to 70cm and see if that is long enough to hit 30m without having to aim high.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)