Send Topic Print
Reading any books? (Read 13630 times)
Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reading any books?
Jun 26th, 2020 at 3:40am

Hi I'm currently reading/listening (audiobook) to Dune by Frank Herbert.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Reading any books?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 9:37am

Great book.

I just finished the second Witcher book. The series is surprisingly good. I was afraid it was overhyped but it is quite good.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 12:34pm

I'm slogging through Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche. Interesting stuff but getting through the flowery prose is a bit much. For another book that's now a videogame series, Metro 2033 is great, I read that earlier this year. The translation is a bit iffy, but the story and world are fantastic.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 12:47pm

That would be Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. A healthy dose of english humour (no, not humor  Smiley) after a long working day.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:56pm

nice

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 4:06pm

I'm currently reading The Witchery of Archery.  It was mentioned in a post a while back (by walter I think).  I picked up a copy and have just had it sitting on the shelf.  Finally started reading it a few days ago.  It's quite interesting.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 2:53pm

A clash of kings

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 8:24pm

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 5th, 2020 at 2:53pm:
A clash of kings

I like the series a lot.  But be wary, I don't think we're going to see the end of it.  I think we might get the next book.  But I'd bet money that the last one is never finished.  Not by Martin anyway.

I do hope I'm wrong about that.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 6:18am

Just got done with Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 6:34am

I picked up an omnibus of weird fiction short stories to read over Halloween. It's absolutely massive and I haven't made much of a dent in it, but I'm already discovering some great stuff. The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, who has the best weird fiction writer name (sorry Lovecraft, you would have been first but your first name is Howard, just be happy with second place), was very good as was Sredni Vashtar by Saki. Highly recommend it though the fact it overlooks Arthur Machen is a crime:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12344319-the-weird

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 6:39am

Just realised looking it up, It's edited (co-edited with his wife) by the guy that wrote the book series that the film Annihilation (with Natalie Portman) was based on.  Good film.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 8:37am

About halfway through david farlands runelord octology - but still looking for books 5 and 7 - I have 1-4 and 8 and 6 lol

I basically have a huge folder with approx 3100 mobi (amazon's e-book format) that I'm working my way though. It's a totally random collection of fiction. So once I';ve finished one I just scroll through until something else looks interesting.

I read on my NooK - which once you've cracked it back to the basic android is probably the best e-reader in the world Smiley

When i come across a series with bits missing - 90% of the time I can find them on emule. But as that only works on my old xp machine I haven't got round to looking for the runelord books yet.

So have started a series by someone else I'd never heard of. Empire of black and gold I think is what I'm rewadin now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Black-Gold-Shadows-Book-ebook/dp/B003GK21XK/ref=...

It started oddly - but looks like it might have promise.
I've definitely got the first two books in the series, so that'll hold me for  aweek or so Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 9:15am

Rereading Bhagavad Gita

@
Kick
How's the thus spoke zarathustra going? Although I didn't get much it's one of my favourites. I think it's good to be read after reading the new testament(just the parables part, not the letters) if I remember correct they use similar phrases.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 2:38pm

@ joe_meadmaker
I read 1,5 books some years ago and picked the second up again. I finally think the series is getting good. Took a lot of danged pages but right now it is REALLY good.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:27pm

Sarosh wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 9:15am:
How's the thus spoke zarathustra going?

Oh boy... I will finish it but... it does drag somewhat. I like a lot of it but it's so... dense maybe is the right word? It's something that takes some effort to read I think. I've found that trying to read it on the bus on the way to work isn't the right environment to truly take it in. I will get back to it eventually.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)