Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arrow Spine doesn’t matter? (Read 1005 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Arrow Spine doesn’t matter?
Jun 24th, 2020 at 4:53pm

https://youtu.be/TzRMKhxBU9w

Not sure I buy this at all. I feel like if he was aware of how skeptical people would be he would be shooting from further than 13 yards away, do it on camera and do it a lot. Not saying the guy is lying but I’ve bare shafted many arrows and as you get closer to the correct spine you can see the shaft go from crazy flight to better to absolutely perfect with no feathers at all.

Who knows... What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Arrow Spine doesn’t matter?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 7:12pm

Well I shot whatever arrows I had with my old recurve I got as a child , 15 years later I get myself reacquainted with my archery and get a correct setup with better arrows and I still suck ha ha
No honestly I can see the advantages of correct spine or a tuned setup but at the same time I suck enough that it might not matter .
I think you’d have trouble convincing competitive barebow archers or Olympic archers that spine isn’t important.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 7:41pm

I think he answered his own question.  He makes a big point about the string favoring one side of the bow.  This will definitely decrease the importance of arrow spine weight.  Getting the spine weight correct is so that your bow has enough power to bend the arrow around the bow when you release.  While at the same time not bending it too much.  If the bow is already mostly out of the way because the string and arrow are favoring one side, then this bending around the bow isn't important.

So does the spine weight matter?  I think it's incorrect to say it doesn't.  I think a more accurate statement would be to say it may not matter as much with certain bows.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 8:14pm

G.F. Asbell explains archers paradox in TBB #2. I think correctly spined arrows are more important to instinctive shooting than any other type of aiming. If the spine is too stiff, you hit to the right in a nice tight group. To flexible, too you hit left. The draw weight and width of handle determine how stiff your arrows need to be. An off ctr string is like shooting with a narrower handle.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 8:48pm

I agree that string offset probably helps. But even the bows I’ve made that have been completely centershot have needed spines arrows. Or... maybe I just thought I needed them?

I have two issues with this:

1. I’ve seen too many archers claim this or that with utmost sincerity but it ends up all being in their head. Good example- The amount of people who say they can hold a fist size group at 30 yards as opposed to the amount who can actually do it is laughable. There’s always some reason they just aren’t feeling it that day. Not making fun, there’s no way in hell I could but you see it often.

2. After so much testing how could so many people be wrong? The amount of money funneled into Olympic archery alone should have answered this very basic question long ago. 

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 9:25pm

I think it was answered hundreds of years ago when our ancestors depended on the bow fo survival.
Which arrows fly better out of this bow? How long, heavy and flexible are they. If you have an assortment of arrows left over from different bows and use them to shoot in a new bow, you will see that this weight, length and spine is shooting the best. So, not only does spine matter, but so does length and weight.  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 4:32pm

walter wrote on Jun 24th, 2020 at 9:25pm:
I think it was answered hundreds of years ago when our ancestors depended on the bow fo survival.
Which arrows fly better out of this bow? How long, heavy and flexible are they. If you have an assortment of arrows left over from different bows and use them to shoot in a new bow, you will see that this weight, length and spine is shooting the best. So, not only does spine matter, but so does length and weight.  Smiley

I agree. I can’t understand why anyone would think these people would not have understood at least the concept of arrow spine, weight etc. 100s of generations of archers each passing down their knowledge to the next guy. They would’ve had to know that they could shoot arrow shafts and see which flew better and then use only those. Especially considering that for them the difference between living and starving was a well placed shot.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 6:47pm

His arrow shafts were tapered.  That matters a lot when you start looking at archers' paradox.  And the second thing was no point. Arrows are supposed to be weight forward, air resistance at the rear.  Without that, you don't get as much paradox.

If he really wanted to test that, he should have shot bare shaft.  He would have found out exactly what Morphy did, a correctly spined arrow doesn't need fletches, provided your release is perfect.  And it will go straight, not off to one side.

And the last is arrow flight.  Correctly spined arrow will fly straighter than one that's not.  That translates to better penetration when you hit.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 12:43pm

Response video: https://youtu.be/2_q2A4NVHGE

Not from me. Wink

He basically hits on some of the points we've covered.  That a correctly weighted spine will minimize the effects of the archer's paradox.  He doesn't say this specifically, but I would imagine that a higher level of efficiency from a correct spine weight would also result in higher arrow velocity.

Bill Skinner wrote on Jun 26th, 2020 at 6:47pm:
Arrows are supposed to be weight forward, air resistance at the rear.  Without that, you don't get as much paradox.

This was a great point to bring up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)