Send Topic Print
Too Much Rat Man (Read 1128 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Too Much Rat Man
Jun 23rd, 2020 at 11:07am

Last week I got on my Urologists' scale during a routine visit.  271 lbs.  I'm tall and some of it is up top so it's not quite as bad as it sounds but that's still too heavy for me.  That's approaching my panic button weight.  I've been heavier... 296 was my fattest ever, back when my Lyme Disease was raging.  But 271 isn't comfortable for me.
    The last time I tried to lose weight and get in shape a bit my expectations were too grandiose.  My metabolism, along with many other things, has slowed down with age.  Dropping pounds is a lot harder than it was just ten or fifteen years ago. 
    This time I'm starting with no expectations.  I'm just going to cut the junk food out and work out as much as I can and see what happens. 
    The next time I'm scheduled to see a doctor is in four months so I'll probably get a weight then.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Too Much Rat Man
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 12:22pm

I've always found that intermittent fasting is the best way for me to drop weight.  Skip one or two meals (usually breakfast and lunch) and do that every other day. Cutting calories is a faster way to lose weight than to try and shed them through exercise alone (and not decrease calorie intake).  Good luck. Cutting weight is not fun most of the time. Slow and steady is the best way so you can successfully change your habits.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 7:30pm

Try go carnivore for a month , worked really well for me

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 8:48pm

Are you still walking regularly Ratman? Thats a big one. Got to keep moving if you can as it will help your body get into fat burning mode.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 1:02am

Don’t put your body in starvation mode. Sometimes you lose more weight by increasing calorie intake slightly if you start off too extreme in the diet and aren’t losing weight.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 9:12am

Eat less and exercise more. Grin 

Smaller portions on your plate, don't go back for seconds.

I generally get up at first light, walk the dogs about a 1/2 mile so they won't do their thing in the yard, eat breakfast, check the mail and the walk the dogs for a mile or so.  When I lost weight, I increased the second walk to double the distance but I tried to make it last, time wise, no longer than the first walk had been.

And get a good nights' sleep. 

And as I eat about 0600ish in the morning, I would have a snack at around 0930ish.  It would be a piece of cheese, or some dried fruit or some nuts.  Washed down with lots of water, tea or coffee.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 2:17pm

Thanks for advice.  Yes, I walk the dogs every morning, about two miles.  I used to walk my last pack up to fourteen miles a day but I'm not getting any younger.  At almost sixty six, two miles at a brisk pace will have to do. 
   For starters I'm pretty much following what Bill suggests.  A big thing is no late snacks.  After dinner I'll eat nothing but fruit. 
    This week I'm just stretching after our dog walks.  Next week I'll start adding exercises.  The last time I tried this part of my program was working out with free weights.  I intend to do that again but this time around I'm going to skip squats.  My knees are crap and just won't handle that anymore.  That's what brought me to a halt last time.  I'm going to add stuff very slowly and see where this goes.  Hopefully there's at least one more success left in me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)