Send Topic Print
Clay from excavation (Read 588 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Clay from excavation
Jun 20th, 2020 at 4:42pm

Last week I noticed patches of really high quality clay in the ground being excavated a 400 or so yards from where I live. I couldn't just sit and let piles of the stuff go to waste, so I decided to haul some of it back. Looks as though the roller from CA is going to be put to good use...
Anyone else have collect clay locally?
This is about 2/3 of it, with an apple for reference:

Lots_of_clay.JPG (179 KB | 29 )
Lots_of_clay.JPG
Clay_quality.JPG (122 KB | 41 )
Clay_quality.JPG

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Clay from excavation
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 9:33pm

That does look quite good. Seems pretty free of debris and what not. And can’t beat the price huh?

I’ve found several different types around here. All seem to be earthenware. I’ve tried them with CA’s rollers and they work very well. Someone on here posted about a new clay like product that hardens like epoxy once you mix in a hardener. That’s my next project I think.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Clay from excavation
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 1:04pm

I've mentioned this many times here... South Jersey is alluvial.  During the last ice age the glaciers stopped at North Jersey so when they retreated they drained into the south. Much of this land was under fresh water for a long time.  Consequently there's lots of good clay here.  I  can find some around my house but if I want a lot I know places back in The Pines where I can get all I want.  But....  also because we're alluvial there is an endless supply of smooth, oval shaped white river stones right at my feet. I really don't need any other sort of ammo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris)