Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Game console Emulators :-) (Read 2867 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Game console Emulators :-)
Jun 13th, 2020 at 11:47am

So as my new cheapo computer is pretty good game wise.
I've been watching videos on emulators.

Basically if you don't know you can now run pretty much ANY game from ANY games console in the history of video games - on your computer.
You can run many on your cell phone as well - but for the newer consoles you need a better phone than I have Smiley

And the game roms are free !

Is it legal - not as such. Is anyone going to get arrested - nope.
So are the games really free - yes Smiley

I like 3d beat em ups. Tekken in particular.
So I tried a psp (play station portable) emulator on my phone with tekken 6.
The phone isn't bad - quad core and 2gb ram. But it only managed about 15 frames  asecond on tekken 6.

So I had  a look and installed the same emulator on my computer.
Not only does it run tekken at it's actual 60 frames a second - But I can use the same game controller that holds my phone Smiley
I do have a psp and a whole bunch of cds full of game roms - have to dig them out.
As I remember, The firmware that let you use pirated roms got to complicated - different games needed different firmwares and you spent more time messing about with that than actually playing games so I think i stopped for a while.
Can't remember if the GBA came before or after the psp.

The atari lynx was my first handheld - just downloaded the emulator for that Smiley

Currently on the switch lite.

Can't remember who but someone on the forum pointed me in the joypads direction a while back.
Has a universal phone holder and built in bluetooth.
But also comes with a usb dongle for using it on a pc as well.
it's one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sixsons-Controller-Bluetooth-Wireless-Compatible-3/dp/B...

So not only can I play tekken on my computer, but it also increases the graphics resolution and makes it look at least as good as mortal kombat does on my switch lite.
Only bougfht mortal kombat becuse there is currently NO 3d beat em ups available on the switch.
I mean i had tekken on the gba, doa (dead or alive) on the 3ds. But as far as I've been able to ascertain there is currently no similiar game on the switch.
And mortal kombat just isn't that good.

Damn shame I can't run emulators on my switch lite.
You can run them on the actual switch - as there is a hack that lets you install android on the switch. But not on the lite Sad

So Now I'm on a quest to see what consoles I can emulate reliably and at full speed on the computer Smiley
I mean just getting psp games is worth it all by itself !

Considering this is an under £150 computer - bloody amazing really Smiley

Anyone else doing this kind of thing ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Game console Emulators :-)
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 12:16pm

so just downloaded soul calibre on a dream cast emulator.
Apparently it's one of the emulators that needs a bit of grunt to run.

Umm yeah lol
Soul calibre should run at 60fps. But I can't find the setting that limits the emulator to that.
So it's running at 300fps and utterly unplayable.

I will now try the other dreamcast emulator lol

At this rate I'm tempted to try the wii-u and switch emulators.

It's not like i needed ANOTHER hobby lol whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 1:38pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 13th, 2020 at 11:47am:
Can't remember who but someone on the forum pointed me in the joypads direction a while back.. )

Anyone else doing this kind of thing ?

That was probably me knowing my love for all things emulator. I havent been keeping up with it so hadnt heard anything about Switch Emulators but seeing as I have a Switch not a whole lot of reason to get an emulator for it except for maybe save states.

Just bought Dragon Quest 11 for my Switch yesterday. Man it brings back some great memories. Some of the sound effects are very similar to the original nintendo Dragon Quest games and a flood of nostalgia comes back whenever I play. So far a really cool game.

Switch is an amazing system and I suspect unless Xbox and Playstation do something to close the gap the next iteration of the Switch is going to put the heat on their market share. Its just way too convienent to have your home system be instantly portable. Within 2 weeks of owning it, it was my favorite system.

I know of something else that might interest you CA. Ill just need to find the link for it. Some of the system mods people do are pretty wild.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 4:21pm

I have not fooled with emulators but as a parent of two, I don't have time to get through my steamlibrary   Grin let alone unlock thousands more games. Gone are the days where I could spin up a game, start playing, and look up to find it's 3:30AM.

Lately I've been going through the new (2013) Tomb Raider. I'm actually really enjoying it, I went in with rock bottom expectations but I've been very impressed.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:04pm

Yes, I have most of the nintendo lineup emulated on my pc. This way I can play the games of my childhood Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:30pm

The thing I like is that I never played many console games.

Our last tv console was the wii - still the best controller setup of any games machine.

Hell I didn't even play that many pc games. Once I started fixing and making them for a living, playing games seemed like working without getting paid.

Hence the series of handhelds that I play in bed. Being perpetually single has to have some benefits Smiley

So most of these console games are brand new to me Smiley

Soul calibre is really good. Finally figured out what was buggering things up.

The android dream cast emulator doesn't work on my phone, which is a shame - as I reckon it'd run pretty fast.

The thing about the actual switch - is not that you can emulate it, but that you can install emulators on it !
But so far as I can determine, not on the switch lite Sad

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 10:04pm

Good games from previous consoles

FInal Fantasy 7
Tenchu
Worms
Baldurs gate (series)
Gran turismo (series)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 3:49pm

the only baldurs gate game I played was on the gba - and it was pretty excellent.

First time a giant spider attacked me I nearly wet myself ! lol

there's a pretty great version of gradius that runs on the gba - need to get that Smiley

Been watching some gran turismo on the dreamcast - it was a pretty decent machine.
I don't need photorealistic pixel perfect textures.
Plus the emulator actually upgrades and improves the graphics as well.
Which is clever.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:30am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 19th, 2020 at 3:49pm:
Been watching some gran turismo on the dreamcast - it was a pretty decent machine.

I loved the Dreamcast. It was great! but the ease of copying games makes it obvious why it didn't last. There was one game called "ChuChu Rocket" That was an absolute blast to play with 4 people.  Also, VirtuAthlete was fun. Terrible graphics but really fun to see how fast you could mash A B back and forth.  We found just rubbing a spoon over the buttons was a sure-fire method for world record 100m dashes...

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 10:58am

So we're now onto the next level.

Operating systems Dedicated to emulation.

I've just discovered a thing called Batocera
https://batocera.org/download

It will run off a flash drive. And flash drives are now really, stupidly cheap.
I've just ordered a couple of 64gb usb 3.0 kingston brand flash drives for £7 each Smiley
That'll give me plenty of space for roms.

Also curious to see how well windows and other os's run directly from usb 3 drives.
benchmarked a couple recently and they are faster than an internal conventional disc based drive.
I've only used ssd's in my system builds for close to 10 years now.

So when the drive arrive - should be tomorrow, curious to see how much better the emulators run from a dedicated os - than under windows.

I was going to upgrade my Apu - but as the new amd 4000 cores are due to hit the shops in september - I figure I'll wait and hopefully the 3000's price will drop then.

Also curious to see if you can move the batocera stick between machines and whther it will still work or not.

This whole emulator scene is fascinating and way more indepth than you realise !

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 12:59pm

If I had money to blow I would buy one of the new Switches which is supposedly more powerful than the current version, jailbreak it and put on every Nintendo game, SNES game , genesis game and N64 game on it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 2:42pm

the odds are trhe new ones won't be jailbreak capable.

At the moment it's done by shorting a couple of pins that reboot it into system/recovery mode.

You Can't do it on the switch lite. So I don't see nintendo leaving it in place for the next edition of the main console.

I'm currently trying another approach Smiley

Currently buying a - supposedly - Gtx1050ti 4GB 128bit Gddr5 Desktop Pc Gaming Graphics Card.
From ebay - it's listed at £40 - so i thought I'd be cheeky and offer £35.
And that includes postage.

The 'same' card currently retails on amazon for around £130.
So whatever this guy is selling - it's definitely not the genuine article.
But he does have 98% approval and over 26'000 sales. So whatever it actually is, it's probably better than what I currently have Smiley
Going to try it anyway Smiley
As far as money and emulation goes:
lol
expensive it is not Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2020 at 12:16pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:36pm

So you actually have to short out the Switch to make it work? Crazy that anyone figured that out. I’m not sure I would be brave enough to do that on a newly purchased switch. These days I’m toying with the idea of getting a gaming phone with built in buttons and a fan. Some of the newer ones are getting pretty amazing and have shoulder fire buttons for play in landscape mode just like actual gaming controllers.

Especially if you got a phone that could hold a ton of memory in a sd card you really could carry around your entire library on your phone. Ish. Lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 9:44am

yeah a 'cheap; phone is rpobably the best way to go for a handheld.
for about $150. You can get a fast octacore with 4gbs ddr4 ram amd 64gb storage. You can also add a fast 256gb card for about $30
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOOGEE-Smartphone-Octa-core-Waterdrop-Fingerprint/dp/B0...

Add in one of the bluetooth controllers that turn it into a handheld and you're good to go for pretty much everything up to and possibly including the switch. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINVOCA-Controller-Bluetooth-Wireless-Joystick/dp/B086X...

My current phone 2 year old phone (also a doogee) will run quite a bit. Hell that only cost £70 2 years ago.

I've mainly been thinking about an upgrade to the camera. But everything else has moved on a huge amount as well. 

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 8:25am

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pre-orders-analogue-pocket-retro-150015074.ht...

Another retro console.

You know I’m really hoping the Switch forces PlayStation to make another handheld. My prediction here is that standalone home systems are going to die out in the next 10-15 years. As the power of portable machines continues to increase it would seem its only a matter of time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)