Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New article on inscribed sling bullets from Thrace (Read 27437 times)
ENankov74
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New article on inscribed sling bullets from Thrace
Jun 12th, 2020 at 5:19am

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Re: New article on inscribed sling bullets from Thrace
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:33pm

Excellent research, I own a nice example of one of Demetrius' bullets like those described in your paper, but I guessed mine was of Demetrius Poliorcetes. The casting bubble flaw on mine appeared to obscure the end of the inscription on the reverse so I assumed it read "ΔΗΜΗ/ΤΡΙΟY". I was delighted to see you address the dating difference between the O/ΟY inscription too as I am not educated in such subtleties. Thanks for studying the bullets and sharing what you learned, it is very much appreciated and educational! Attached are some pictures of my example.

gg.jpg (163 KB | 35 )
gg.jpg
ggg.jpg (197 KB | 26 )
ggg.jpg

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 10:26pm

Lovely glande with lovely patina!
Certainly one of the most notable thing about these projectiles is how they are often a lot less pointy than glandes some of us make nowadays. I think this is because it gives this design provides better aerodynamics coming down from a high trajectory, as well as requiring less spin to remain stable at extended ranges.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:36pm

Thanks! Yes, the Classical/Hellenistic bullets tend to be "less pointy" and more grain or rounded football shaped, the Iberian and Roman glandes were often heavier and more definitionally biconical like the Pompey bullets, or relatively longer and pointed in my observation which may be the template reenactors use more often.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)