Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interesting Pocket Slingshot Design (Read 2293 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Interesting Pocket Slingshot Design
Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:14am

I stumbled across this and thought it was pretty darn genius. I don't have any tubular bands but it could be possible to make something similar with flat bands. I'm also now imagining adding a small piece between the bands at the "fork" to act as an arrow rest. Pocket sling bow would be pretty awesome.

https://slingshotforum.com/gallery/image/3639-pocket-slingshot-1/

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Interesting Pocket Slingshot Design
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:54am

That is pretty nice indeed. I think tubular bands should be easy enough to get hold of on ebay or similar.

I've experimented a little with slingshots before. I tried to modify an existing arm braced one with an absurd amount of theraband (to the point where I could barely pull it back all the way). It was insanely powerful and capable of seriously deforming tin cans with just duct tape balls. Unfortunately the bands just ended up tearing themselves apart after a few hours usage...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:10am

Already have some surgical tubing on the way Cheesy I love the internet.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:34am

Looks like it might be too easy to shoot your hand Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:45am

Lots of slingshots have very low forks it just comes down to shooting style. I quickly made an improvised version with two rubber bands and without the leather at all and tried shooting a barbecue skewer. I think this might be the best use of this design, as an arrow shooter. It ensures the ammo doesn't hit your hand and the band doesn't seem to hit either so I can see this working well even with proper tubing.

Just as an aside, even a small elastic band and skewer packs quite a punch. Got it through a fairly thick cardboard box with no problem.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:33pm

Its a modified no frame slingshot. You can make a set with tubes and a pouch, and use your hand as  the frame. Its called bareback.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:36am

the whole shooting over the top of your hand just looks dodgy.

But neat if you can do it Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:45am

We call this a ging in Australia, pretty common amongst school kids when I was young. Sometimes I remember just a smal piece of cord instead of the leather and you just wrapped the cord around your hand/fingers.

I nearly lost an eye when I was young. Was from a band failure hitting me in the eye so I get super paranoid shooting rubber powered things these days. Shame because I really love the look and simplicity of slingshots.

The sling remains No1 !!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 11:52am

Mersa wrote on Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:45am:
The sling remains No1 !!!

Absolutely! I still do love a nice slingshot though and I really like the idea of one that takes up basically no space.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 1:23pm

Also be careful on that forum. The mods are KNOWN within the slingshot world along with a similar forum on the subject, to be down right mean. If they dont like you they will make it known, ban you, and cause a whole bunch of internet trouble, over a toy. Its mind boggling to say the least. Thhey are brutal to say the least.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 9:20pm

@
vetryan15

Thanks for the warning Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 9:29am

I just found the picture, I don't have an account but good to know Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 10:09am

Finally, the tubing has arrived and, as I thought it would, this design works great with arrows. I'll maybe make a video soon.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 12:53pm

Here's a short video of it in action. Really comfortable to use and has quite a lot of power for something so small. I would love to do some distance tests, but I don't have anywhere nearby I would be comfortable shooting arrows around. Sling and stone I feel I can get away with more than arrows (despite a sling being far more dangerous than this little bit of rubber tubing...).

https://youtu.be/zbf2D1VBwXQ

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 2:53pm

Cool! Is the arrow the same length as your draw length?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)