Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Defund the Police (Read 6029 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Defund the Police
Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:26pm

This is the message of the day. To me it makes no sense. It sounds like mob rule in the sense that usually the mob wants what will inevitably destroy themselves.

What do you all think of this? Apparently NYPD and LAPD have had funding taken away. Seems pretty foolish to me.  This is literally the definition of cutting one’s nose to spite your face. I can’t imagine what inner city NY or LA would look like with minimal to no police presence.

I can’t imagine any politician could be so stupid as to actually do this though. It would be pure anarchy.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Defund the Police
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Might as well as allow the PURGE happen as well. Its such an asinine idea. Its what happens when certian political powers come into power,

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:56pm

It might not necessarily be a bad thing, Morphy.  One of our South Jersey cities, Camden, the armpit of America, got rid of its profoundly corrupt police force a few years ago.  The county took over the job.  The improvement is significant.  Sometimes a police force is so rotten throwing it away and starting over is the only sensible solution.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/camden-police-defund-minneapolis-george-floyd-prot...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:08pm

This makes it sound like the police are going to be defunded entirely then nothing will take their place/the money won't be used in other areas to tackle crime. This article does a good job of expanding on it past just the phrase "defund the police" and some of the potential options:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/08/us/what-does-defund-police-mean.html

From my view in Finland, American police do seem to have crazy budgets and those budgets have been spent on entirely unnecessary things. It's been difficult during the coverage of the protest to pick out the police from the National Guard because they're kitted out with military equipment and it's entirely unnecessary. Actual positive change could be put into effect if budgets weren't being spent on enough tear gas to commit a war crime (speaking of...) and instead were being invested into education, drug rehabilitation and prison reform.

With breaking up existing police forces, I can see where they are coming from. Your police forces are corrupt, protected by powerful unions that shield them from any scrutiny or justice and seem to have a major cultural problem in seeing the public as the enemy. "Serve and Protect"? That seems to have been forgotten. They're dressing in tactical vests and full riot gear, armed with tear gas launchers and automatic weapons full of rubber bullets and pepper balls. Reportedly 8 people have lost an eye in the current protests from the actions of the police. 8! And that's just people that have lost an eye, not counting other injuries (tear gas is carcinogenic btw...). There are countless accounts of people shot by overzealous cops that simply don't have the correct training to be out there waving guns around. They always say they were fearful for their life and, when they're not just blatantly lying, I believe them because they've been trained to see everyone as a threat first so they panic. Tearing it all down and starting again, back to community focus and SERVING. Not brutalizing.

Now I know how it looks, I'm sharing a video from a TV show, but this speech, from this character seems to sum up America's police problem. It goes beyond the War on Drugs, but that has been a significant contribution to the current systems in place. They think they're at war, so of course they act like warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:12pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:56pm:
Sometimes a police force is so rotten throwing it away and starting over is the only sensible solution.

This!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:34pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:56pm:
    It might not necessarily be a bad thing, Morphy.  One of our South Jersey cities, Camden, the armpit of America, got rid of its profoundly corrupt police force a few years ago.  The county took over the job.  The improvement is significant.  Sometimes a police force is so rotten throwing it away and starting over is the only sensible solution.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/camden-police-defund-minneapolis-george-floyd-prot...

If it were just that I would be the first person supporting it but It seems like the direction they want to go is do away with the police. Or defund it enough to make them irrelevant. Ive heard stories of the FBI investigating and shutting down entire departments due to corruption. Im totally good with that. But replace the bad guys with good ones. If theres no police like VetRyan said, we will have the purge lol. Guess I better start buying some ammo...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:46pm

Well, no police is certainly a bad idea.  Only a total fool would disagree with that.  I'm not a big fan of anarchy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:47pm

A very very small minority is calling for anarchy. Radical reform is what is being called for.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 5:18pm

Kick wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:47pm:
A very very small minority is calling for anarchy. Radical reform is what is being called for.

Im fine with that but the statement is “Defund the Police”. Maybe it’s meant to be hyperbolic but I think a lot of those people chanting it mean just that. Do I really believe the police will be disbanded entirely? No not really, I just see this as symptom of a very sick society.

Mostly though I wonder how violent resistance of perps can be addressed by good police in such a way that we don’t end up in riots across the country. No one seems to have that answer.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 1:12am

It’s very inconvenient, you know. With the Covid-19 pandemic, I have already had to become janitorial staff at “the office“ on top of my normal job duties as an engineer.  On days when my pregnant wife is too nauseous to get out of bed, I have to be the teacher/babysitter and 3-meals/day cook for my 3 kids while also trying to get my time in working from home. Dishes pile up if we don’t wash them twice a day because we’re cooking more often and for more people than normal. Now I also have to be my own law enforcement?!  Who’s got time for all that? I guess I could maybe make it work if criminals promise to only attempt crimes on weekends.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:32am

It's totally nonsensical.

One arsehole police man kills one criminal (and despite anything else the guy was a career criminal with gbh convictions, among many others) and suddenly EVERY LEO is a murdering arsehole ?

meanwhile the 'peaceful' protestors are killing and injuring people, destroying property and generally demonstrating why we NEED a police force in the first place.

What IS needed is longer and better training for the LEO's.
So arguably the case can be made for MORE funding not less.

History tells us again and again: When the mob dictates government policy, civilisation collapses.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:53am

In 2019, US police killed 1098 people. It's not just one cop, one time.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

You seem dismissive of George Floyd's death. It does not matter what George Floyd did up to and during his murder. You seem to be appealing to "law and order", but the killing of a man, black or otherwise, criminal or otherwise, in the street, in broad daylight, by a policeman crushing his neck under his knee is not justice. George Floyd could have committed terrible atrocious crimes, he could have been a convicted peadophile and it would still have been illegal to choke him to death in the street. That's not how the law works. Floyd did not have any active warrants, he was being detained because of SUSPECTED use of a counterfeit $20 bill. He didn't get a court appearance to plead his case. He didn't get to stand in front of a judge. A cop killed him in the street. The death of someone by a cop, with priors for violence and brutality, is a stain. Saying it was "just one criminal" shows a disdain for life that I find actually kind of disgusting Alex.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:39am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 1:12am:
It’s very inconvenient, you know. With the Covid-19 pandemic, I have already had to become janitorial staff at “the office“ on top of my normal job duties as an engineer.  On days when my pregnant wife is too nauseous to get out of bed, I have to be the teacher/babysitter and 3-meals/day cook for my 3 kids while also trying to get my time in working from home. Dishes pile up if we don’t wash them twice a day because we’re cooking more often and for more people than normal. Now I also have to be my own law enforcement?!  Who’s got time for all that? I guess I could maybe make it work if criminals promise to only attempt crimes on weekends.

Hey NOOC I know a guy who knows a guy that is requesting to rob your home. How is next week for you? Could you pencil him in some time around 10am (he usually sleeps late). If not just let me know what would be a good time for you thanks!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 10:16am

A whole lot of police procedure problems could be solved with better training.  Better training is expensive.  When a city has a budget crunch, the first thing that gets cut is the police training budget.  And after the crunch, the money never seems to go back into training. 

So, we end up with somewhat poorly trained police and the people to blame are the ones that are now talking about defunding them.  Making their training worse. 

As far as not being able to tell the police from the Guardsmen, that's because the stuff the police are wearing and using are actual military surplus.  Those same politicians that didn't fund proper training got that stuff for free from the Federal Government and gave it to the police forces.  So, now you've got poorly trained police with military gear.

What could go wrong?

You could do things like remove the "qualified immunity" and roll it back to the 1967 level, which would make police and administrators more responsible to the citizens/justice system.

Or, you could simply require the police to have individual insurance, if they are sued by a citizen and lose, their insurance, not the taxpayers, has to foot the bill.  And I've got lots more faith in an insurance company taking actual steps to prevent lawsuits that any politician.  And the added benefit is that if the same person keeps getting sued and losing, his rates will increase to the point that he can't pay them and he has to leave.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:58pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 10:16am:
Or, you could simply require the police to have individual insurance, if they are sued by a citizen and lose, their insurance, not the taxpayers, has to foot the bill.  And I've got lots more faith in an insurance company taking actual steps to prevent lawsuits that any politician.  And the added benefit is that if the same person keeps getting sued and losing, his rates will increase to the point that he can't pay them and he has to leave.

Interesting idea, Bill.  I haven't heard that before.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)