Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How many throws in a session? (Read 5635 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Re: How many throws in a session?
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 5:24pm

When I get the chance to throw, which is rare right now due to a confluence of reasons... (Don't do grad school at twice the recommended pace.) It depends on how much time I have, but about 100 per hour or so I'd say. That's usually at a lake or river, throwing bank stones of varying quality. On average, I'd say about 100 at a session.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:32pm

In my original answer I said I do 100 throws on a good day... well with the pandemic and all, I’d say 50 is a good day, and 30 is probably more common.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

13North144East
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

13North144East
Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:05pm

Finding that while using a heavier sling--you do n not always need ammunition for progress.

Can still develop skills of controlling the sling.

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 10:15pm

30 is a good session for me these days.  It don't take many to keep the edge.  Key is regularity, no matter how short the session.  And if you can't get real time, put in some time imagining a session as real as you can.  You might be surprised at how well that works. 

I hadn't used a throwing stick for small game for years and rabbits are so thick around here this year, I up and got me over a dozen in a couple weeks. Two in one day.  One was 40 yards out and I over threw him by about 3 feet.  As it dropped in on him, he saw it swooping in and he bolted, ran away straight into it. 

And remember, if all you got to do is make some rabbit stew, it could be worse you know, something could be eating you....

Toodle Doo

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:28pm

Lately I’ve been trying to sling as much per session as I can , but I’m not sling fit anymore, I feel a shoulder tweak coming on

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:31pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:28pm:
Lately I’ve been trying to sling as much per session as I can , but I’m not sling fit anymore, I feel a shoulder tweak coming on

I would suggest to reduce power a bit, focus on twisting your torso and really exaggerating that movement. It seemed to help me, my forearm tendon has been getting sore and doing that relieved a lot of wear and tear on it recently. I really should take a rest though. I've been doing minimum 100 shots/day for a few months now. (telework is great for slinging).

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:38am

It was the day of long range slinging that got me. I rarely throw full power.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #22 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:17pm

Something I don't remember if I've shared before...Arm wrestling.  Many years ago, I noticed a marked improvement in my slinging during a time that I had been arm wrestling a lot with friends.  You get a boost from fast twitch muscle fibers that are conditioned to the fast engagement under heavy load at the start, and through the duration of, an arm wrestling match.  Connective tissues are also greatly strengthened ideally for our sport.

If you don't arm wrestle, one can use one's own sling as a great exercise tool.  Wrap it over the wrist and down the back of the forearm, then around the elbow to the other hand which provides resistance while you do 'wrist curls'.  Believe it or not, this wrist curl is perhaps the most critical part to accurate high speed slinging, as it is used during the crucial, final ramp up to full speed through the moment of release. It helps with virtually any style of slinging.

Wrist_curl.jpg (64 KB | 60 )
Wrist_curl.jpg

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 9:02pm

That sure looks like the final wrist position for Turkey Style to me!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 8:02am

Don't sling for a week or two.
Relax, warm up and don't go all out for a little while.
Be smart

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #25 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 5:33am

100-150

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #26 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 10:48am

Used to do more but now I do 2 sets of 10 rocks each every other day.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:29pm

Usually 30 or 40   but at Blackwalnut time   easily 100

IP Logged

totallyyourtype
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Christiansburg, VA
Reply #28 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 4:32pm

I have a canvas pouch, and I'm not sure how many rocks fit into it, but I think I generally throw 3-4 pouches in a session.  The pouch probably has similar capacity to a ballcap turned upside down...

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 1:29pm

MitchInTheGlatrix wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:17pm:
Something I don't remember if I've shared before...Arm wrestling.  Many years ago, I noticed a marked improvement in my slinging during a time that I had been arm wrestling a lot with friends.  You get a boost from fast twitch muscle fibers that are conditioned to the fast engagement under heavy load at the start, and through the duration of, an arm wrestling match.  Connective tissues are also greatly strengthened ideally for our sport.

If you don't arm wrestle, one can use one's own sling as a great exercise tool.  Wrap it over the wrist and down the back of the forearm, then around the elbow to the other hand which provides resistance while you do 'wrist curls'.  Believe it or not, this wrist curl is perhaps the most critical part to accurate high speed slinging, as it is used during the crucial, final ramp up to full speed through the moment of release. It helps with virtually any style of slinging.

I'm sure heavy deadlifts would make your throws much more powerful. Especially without straps to help you hold the barbell  Grin

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)