Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chinese double and triple bow giant crossbows (Read 2210 times)
ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chinese double and triple bow giant crossbows
May 31st, 2020 at 6:11am

This drawing of the massively powerful Chinese triple bow crossbow was associated with a 17th century book, but I’m not sure if it was contemporary with the book, or a later addition. So many drawings of ancient mechanisms are fictitious! But this weapon is reputed to have have had awesome power and range. But how were the string(s) arranged? I made an effective working model using pulleys. But would they have used pulleys?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Chinese double and triple bow giant crossbows
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:16am

That looks a lot like some the stuff Jörg Sprave has been making using a second bow to help with pulling a heavy bow to full draw.

https://youtu.be/xH2uVMJTt2s

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:17am

Here’s my model made from carbon fibre kite rods, a wooden garden stake and some boating pulleys. It has a draw weight of 14 pounds (~6.5kg) and shoots a light dart very fast.
My first attempt used metal loops instead of pulleys but the friction made it unworkable.

IP Logged

ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:23am

Here’s a modern illustration of a stringing method which I don’t believe would work.

IP Logged

ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:43am

Kick wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 6:16am:
That looks a lot like some the stuff Jörg Sprave has been making using a second bow to help with pulling a heavy bow to full draw.

https://youtu.be/xH2uVMJTt2s

Thanks! Thought provoking. But Joerg’s bows are back to front and arranged to assist loading rather than to increase the power of the weapon. However, I suspect the answer to this mystery may be totally different to the various ‘artists impressions’.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:51am

Now I see your model I've got a better idea of it. Yeah that other illustration really doesn't look like it would work. Interesting design Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:58am

Reminds me of my first crossbow made from fiberglass tent poles. Although yours is infinitely cooler! Any possibility of a video of this bad boy in action?

IP Logged

ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2020 at 7:13am

Morphy wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 6:58am:
Reminds me of my first crossbow made from fiberglass tent poles. Although yours is infinitely cooler! Any possibility of a video of this bad boy in action?

A video wouldn’t show much more. The dart is 5mm dowel and very light. It flies fast and easily penetrates several sheets of strong corrugated cardboard carton.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:25am

the point of this design is to have long power stroke by bending each bow very little?

IP Logged

ianr
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:32am

Morphy wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 6:58am:

No video, but this is what it did to an empty lager can.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 11:28am

The painting, I think, is of an object that the painter has no idea how to work, so he used the line drawing and his imagination. 

Yes, the Chinese had pulleys, they are way older than those weapons and date to at least the bronze age.

I think the bows would have been composite and the tips super recurved to keep the strings on.  The faster the bow tips move, the faster the projectile, which usually translates to longer range.  Pulleys would have added weight, which would have slowed the tips down.

The backwards bow would have also acted as a shock damper to keep the recoil from shaking the weapon apart and from over flexing the bow at the shot.

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 10:38pm

I'm not an expert in this at all but this guy in Washington has made one that you might be interested in seeing:  https://www.facebook.com/100004290976178/videos/1138198456333176/

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 8:49am

That thing looks beautiful. Real craftsmanship.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:01am

don't really see the point of the reversed bow behind the main cord.
Won't that simply pull power away from the cord ?

I can see  how sevaral bows can work with just simple connections - that's ingenious Smiley

But what's the purpose of the rear bow that looks to be pullling the cord back. That just doesn't make any sense.

Love the one you made with the rods !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 11:00am

The back bow is the shock.  There is actually a lot of recoil when you shoot a bow or cross bow.  You can see the muscles of the archers forearm ripple if you look at an extreme slow motion arrow shot.

The rigid frame can't flex, so all that energy goes back into the bow and frame.  Bad things happen then.

When shooting a modern compound bow, they come with all sorts of shocks and dampeners to control the recoil to keep from shaking the bow apart.  Or breaking it.

On a wooden or composite bow, if the arrow is not of heavy enough weight to absorb the force, either the arrow or the bow can break when it is shot.  Or both.  It will also be unpleasant to shoot, the shock to the shooters' hand and arm can be painful.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)