Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maasai Spear Throwing (Read 2937 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Maasai Spear Throwing
May 26th, 2020 at 6:23pm

I found this video by chance and it's pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/tHMM67xEul4

I've seen these large, leaf-shaped spears before but I had never realised that they had a spike on the other end. In throwing the spear, it seems that they use the thin spike.

Ok, so what? Well, I think this style of spear is a work of absolute genius. Having the broad leaf blade would be good for hand to hand, you're able to cut and thrust with it, but for throwing, the wide blade wouldn't get much penetration, hence thin spike (of course, it's a very sharp edge so would do considerable damage but wouldn't penetrate as far as the spike). Here's something I noticed though. Having both options (wide for hand to hand, thin for throwing) is really advantageous, but they also compliment each other. Having the spike, gives the spear a counter balance to make it more lively in the hand to allow you to more quickly and easily make cuts and thrusts, and the wide leaf blade works like flight feathers to stabalise the spear in flight. Genius! Obviously, these spears have been used for countless generations and so are highly refined weapons, but I never realised just how clever a design they are and thought I should share here.

It's mentioned that the thin spike isn't used for hunting and just for sticking in the ground, but then it has, in all of the footage of them throwing, using the spike. This is somewhat confusing because of the advantages listed above and how effective it obviously is this way round, but perhaps there are other reasons not mentioned. Any ideas? Personally I would want to use it as described, a combination weapon that actually works.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Re: Maasai Spear Throwing
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:55pm

I don't believe that the nail like tip is just for sticking the spear to the ground, I think it is meant to pierce through flesh.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:51pm

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:22pm

Tejo wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:55pm:
I don't believe that the nail like tip is just for sticking the spear to the ground, I think it is meant to pierce through flesh.

Same. Why make it so long and strong just for sticking in the ground? They fly far too well for it to be a coincidence. I'm tempted to try and "make" my own version. I say "make" because really I mean buy a large spearhead and a small one and put them on the same shaft.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:31am

The end with out the spear head was used for practice and it's longer to help balance the spear just like that sambura spear I believe the practice end is called the shoe end.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:14am

Good video but let’s get down to business here, where do you buy one?? Lol. I would love to have a Bassa made bow and a Massai spear.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2020 at 1:53pm

I saw on YouTube an advert for a Massai spear being sold by an African importing company. No idea of the quality and actually didn't check out the website but it looks pretty nice Cheesy

https://youtu.be/w8L6-Dpc5Qw

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 1:59pm

A quick look on the website and it seems they are no longer for sale Sad

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:21pm

Cold Steel makes the Sambura Spear.  It's three parts and is designed to break down for storage.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:25pm

https://africaimports.com/maasai-spear-large-size

Maybe try that Kick? Seems to be working for me. It’s $50 for retail. I might wait till I feel like buying something else as well and get the wholesale price on it. Much cheaper.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:51pm

Oh! I didn't see them at all Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:53pm

Home Decor!? Should be Home Defence Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)