Send Topic Print
Dog Food (Read 704 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Dog Food
May 26th, 2020 at 4:56pm

This is my dog food recipe.  This recipe is for a big batch.  I make four or five week's worth for three dogs at a time.  You can reduce the recipe to suit your needs. 

Take the bones from the last batch plus those you've saved from your meals and boil them in a crock pot for 48 hours to make a stock.  After you've removed the bones from the stock you can use them as treats because they're softened from the process.  This hold true for all but turkey bones.  They stay hard for some reason.

Next skin five or six big family packs of chicken.  Other meats can be substituted. I use chicken because it's usually the cheapest, they like it, and it's good for them.  I've also made it with pork.  Place the chicken parts in a big pot (I use two) and add the stock.  Add enough water to cover the chicken if there isn't enough stock.  Start cooking at a very low heat or the stew will burn.  Chop a big pack of chicken gizzards and add that. Also add a cup of ground flax seed if you wish. It's very good for them. 

Now it's time to add the veggies.  You can use a wide variety depending on what's available, what your dogs like, and what they tolerate.  I start by adding some sort of greens.  I usually use kale or collards but any greens will do.  I've also used radish greens, broccoli rabe, turnip greens, spinach, etc...   Next chop six big carrots and add them.  Coarsely chop a big head of cabbage and add that.  From there the list of veggies you can add is huge.  I usually include yellow squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, sometimes broccoli, I've used turnips, etc...   I don't use corn because they won't digest it.  I don't use peppers because they'll give the dogs gas. 

Dogs don't need spices.  Make your dog food bland.  No salt, pepper, garlic, onions, etc..

When the stew is just about done add your sweet potaoes.  You add the late because they cook quickly.  When the sweet potatoes are soft add a tub of chopped chicken liver.  This will cook very quickly.  Next wisk in 18 eggs.  Turn it off and let it cool.  In the Winter I just set it outside overnight.  This time of year I put a fan on it.  Once the dog food is cool enough for you to put your hands in dig in and remove all of the bones.  Take your time with this part and be very careful to get them them all.  Save the bones for the stock for the next batch.  To store it I put it all in margarine tubs and freeze it. I used to make this with either rice or oatmeal but they are just empty filler and unnecessary. 

I am not an expert on dog nutrition so to play it save they get a daily multiple doggie vitamin and a squirt of salmon oil on their food. Also once or twice a week I'll feed them a can of commercial dog food just to change things up and make sure they're getting the proper nutrition.  Additionally they are fed a quality kibble, usually Taste of the Wild, sometimes Nutro.

I think that's everything.  You can tweak this recipe to suit your dogs' likes and what they tolerate.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2020 at 12:40am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)