Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tips for better accuracy (Read 1807 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Tips for better accuracy
May 26th, 2020 at 3:52am

When slinging at something you want to hit, whether its just a spot on the wall or a physical target, focus on that target, I mean, stare at the target, stare at it with tunnel vision, then sling and throw.
Whether you hit the target or not, don't matter, don't look at your misses or be bothered with it, stare at the target and not at your projectile after you throw. If you miss and look at your projectile instead, you lose your focus and with it confidence. Not a problem to get your eye off for a few seconds to reload, but then again just keep staring at the target and not at your projectile if you miss. Focus your vision on your target and not your misses, until you hit it. I discover that if I do this, my shots keep getting closer to the target. I don't focus on the misses and near misses, but I see them closing in from the sides of my vision. Eventually I hit it
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2020 at 3:21am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Tip for better accuracy
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:14am

Even better, try using a pendulum or moving target. Your subconscious mind will take control and you will be surprised with the outcome. What your explaining is related to your subconscious and conscious mind. Physically nothing has changed it’s all mental and the more you let your subconscious do the aiming and mechanics the more fluid the shot and therefore it’s usually more accurate.

Target panic comes in many forms, pressure can be added by your own mind or value in the shots. Most people perform best when on there own and not under pressure.
Put a shot clock, an audience and a $500000 reward into a shot and most of us would miss terribly.

What you described is correct but there are tricks to turning off the mind and moving targets can help a lot.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:32am

I've found one thing that's thrown me off is thinking too much about how I'm throwing. I've been adjusting my fig. 8 and Greek style a bit, and thinking about where my arm is positioned and how it's moving killed accuracy. As soon as I relaxed and just thrown it, I did much better.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2020 at 12:02pm

I fully agree with this. I've noticed similar things. There is a certain sense of focus that usually accompanies direct hits.

John R.

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:52pm

Is it not what athletes call "being in the zone"
That  balance of relaxed concentration, co-ordination and focus.
From eye on target to the weight and feel of sling on release knot.
I think we have all overthought shots.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:54pm

Kick wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 8:32am:
I've found one thing that's thrown me off is thinking too much about how I'm throwing. I've been adjusting my fig. 8 and Greek style a bit, and thinking about where my arm is positioned and how it's moving killed accuracy. As soon as I relaxed and just thrown it, I did much better.

I think this is one of my problems right now.  Since my accuracy recently took a big nosedive, I'm worrying way too much about where my feet are and how I'm moving.  I get one hit and think, 'Yeah, I've got it back now'.  But then just miss the next one.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Tips for better accuracy
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2020 at 3:25am

I added a little s to the title so if anyone else got tips, please do post.

One thing that contributes greatly to my accuracy besides this focus is using a short sling.
With my 45 cm sling (length of retention cord) you have to use a lot more power to get a similar shot as a medium-powered shot from a long sling, but the accuracy and control is much better. Short  slings are a lot of fun too and make it possible to sling in tighter area's and while crouched. I am not even bothering with longer slings than 50 cm for short distances (max 40m) anymore because to me it doesn't make any sense.
I think accuracy is more important than power.  Even at halve our max it's probably enough to take out fowl. And if you are restricted to slinging slow anyway, for example you are in your backyard and have to  take into account your neighbours or you are in a public park, then the long sling has no use either. Better to use a short sling and you will greatly increase your accuracy plus you can actually throw quite hard with less risk.

Also, my short paracord slings have been built in such a way that within 5 minutes I can make it into a longer (70cm) sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:30am

A good tip is a good backstop. It helps you see how much you miss by and also helps with keeping your ammo. This also leads into being able too use more consistent ammunition that definitely helps with the external ballistics.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 10:31am

It’s definitely a mixture of conscious and subconscious operations. When you miss, you should know how to consciously make corrections when you are consistently off.It’s really difficult to think statistically, but accuracy will improve when you admit that you are only partially in control. If you can focus on tighter groups and more consistency, then learn to move the group without overcompensating by correcting after every shot.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 4:24am

Matching sling pouch to ammunition size is also important for accuracy.  Holds the ammo securely during windup and release.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 6:43am

slingingrocksforfun wrote on Jun 12th, 2020 at 4:24am:
Matching sling pouch to ammunition size is also important for accuracy.  Holds the ammo securely during windup and release.

This right here is key!!!!!!
Part of why I enjoy a semi split pouch or just a split pouch.
When I first started out my pouches were huge!!!!
I've trimmed em down a lot as I've gotten better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris)