Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My 1st attempt at a bow (Read 2414 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: My 1st attempt at a bow
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2020 at 12:01am

vetryan15 wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 8:45pm:
The rasp is a farriers rasp. Double sided. This link is the one i got. It came in a kit.

K. Thought so. Careful with the coarse teeth side. It can tear up wood badly.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/stock.html

Pretty sure Dean Torres has passed away but I heard awhile back he had sold the rights to keep producing these tools to someone else. Anyways might be worth a shot to email or call that number under the contact tab. If you can can get the UBR 10 it’s worth it’s weight in gold for rasping staves. If you could get one tool that would make the biggest difference I would go so far as to say get that one if you can. Best rasp I’ve ever owned specifically made by a master bowyer for tillering and wood reduction.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #16 - May 26th, 2020 at 4:51am

@joe thanks for that explanation. Its alot better then what was in the book.   I am a bit of a 'for dummies' book learner. I remember in TBB  i couldn't really grasp it, but i am sure if i was shown, i could figure it out a bit faster. I will be checking out. The video later on.

@morphy i figured it was done, but oh well moving on to the next one. I did check out that rasp, and it looks like it will be another tool i will be adding in the future.  I definitely did learn that it took way too much wood off. Lol.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2020 at 3:29pm

I think, as a beginner, it is easier to make a bow without a non bending handle part, in the English d-shape style. I had a few attempts at flatbows with a handle in the past using nothing but a knife and a hatchet but they all failed. But now I've made a few D shaped bows from young trees that had a max diameter of 15 cm / 6 inches, bows that also bent through the 'handle', and I am absolutely surprised by how well they work, I really didn't expect much but they shoot between 25 and 35 pounds and I can land homemade branch arrows at 25 meters in a pig sized target consistently, which is incredibly satisfying. I think it is a lot more forgiving design. Now I am constantly swapping between archery and slinging, after I get bored of one I do the other.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #18 - May 26th, 2020 at 4:20pm

I am still learning alot about archery in general.  I havent shot a bow in about 6 years, so learning the terms and everything else anout the sport is new to me. Its a bit of a learning curve, and reading TBB, vol 1. The bow design  chapter i feel that most of it sounds to me like physics.  Which i dont care for that much. I am more of a lets make some working tools. But i do understand that you need to learn the phics part to an extent, just in my situation its too much. My brain hurst just trying to retain all the information

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:57pm

https://www.3riversarchery.com/ubr10-dean-torges-bowmaking-rasp.html

In case anyone is interested. It’s expensive but it’s a high quality tool. Now that I know where to get it I’ll probably buy a spare just to make sure I have it if they ever stop selling them.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:39pm

My first four bows were dbows that bend in the handle. The fifth bow I made the same way, but with a half inch riser glued on a 3/4" handle for a one and a quarter inch thick handle, which I thought would be plenty, but it too is a bit bendy, which turns out real cool cause this bow turns out to be and staying at a real hard hitting 45lbs @ 28"  Cool
So maybe, a bendy low riser is the thing for under 50lb bows Huhr

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)