Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New theory on the advantages of Clovis Fluting technology (Read 108 times)
duckdiver
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

san mateo coast
New theory on the advantages of Clovis Fluting technology
May 22nd, 2020 at 6:44pm

Quick read on structural advantages of the flute design.
Iíve yet to make good ones without cheating and using copper punches.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170404160022.htm

IP Logged

vetryan15
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Mainers
Re: New theory on the advantages of Clovis Fluting technology
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:50pm

Thats insane to think about. I only chipped a few stone a few hours under my belt. But eventually want to retry it again.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Slinging.org Moderator
Forum Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: New theory on the advantages of Clovis Fluting technology
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2020 at 2:06pm

I don't think that paper is going survive a peer review. 

First, most surviving broken Clovis points are broken above the flute, usually about 1/3 of the way up. 

Second, I have yet to see any evidence of the base crushing in a Clovis.  Nor have I read anything about others mentioning this.  And I can tell you from my own experience that I've never had a base crush.

Third, modern made Clovis' usually have too long a flute, the ancient ones usually have a very short flute.  Te average length of a Clovis point is around 3 inches, (75mm), average flute length is around 1/2 inch or 12mm.

Fourth, 30 minutes is actually on the quick side for knapping out a point, 45 minutes to an hour is usually what it takes to make a point from reducing the rock to a bi face to a finished point or blade.  And basal thinning is quite common.

If they had mentioned an "I" beam and the way it handles stresses, then I probably would agree with their opinion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)