Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crochet Biconical Ammo (Read 4225 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Crochet Biconical Ammo
Reply #15 - May 24th, 2020 at 2:45pm

Crochet Mortars! Many a Sock Puppet died in the Crochet Wars of 2020...

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #16 - May 24th, 2020 at 2:55pm

Haha.  The texture does look like a grenade. I never thought crochet could be sooo OP. it definitely needs to be nerfed in the next patch.  Grin

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #17 - May 24th, 2020 at 3:08pm

I can see that being ammo standard for FUNDABALL

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #18 - May 25th, 2020 at 1:56am

Hi vetryan!

Wow I've been reading about FUNDABALL and it sounds really fun!  I've also read the fundaball ammo thread and understand the sport may be having a hard time finding the perfect ammo.

Basically, fundaball needs a single ball that excels in short and long range missile attacks.  Bicones excel over spheres for long range due to less drag and spin stabilization.  But it also needs a ball rigid enough to survive launching for stable flight and soft enough not to injure other players upon impact.  Spheres excel over bicones in this matter, due to its inherent structural strength and the safety of its larger radius of curvature.

That would be really
awesome
if the current iteration of the Crochet Rigid Bicone overcomes these challenges!  It needs to be tested.  But if it doesn't, I can see lots of ways that the ammo can be refined even more  Smiley

For instance, suppose upon testing you find that the ammo hurts too much upon impact when travelling really fast.  I could easily increase the radius of curvature at the tips, making it more egg shaped. We could then retest.  This would be the easiest fix.

But there is another solution.  I could design each section of the bicone for its essential task.   The tips don't need alot of of strength, since its smaller radius of curvature inherently gives it more strength and it's not under any loads in the pouch.  I could drop a yarn while crocheting the tips and create a separate internal chamber specifically designed for shock absorption.  Thus, I could make the tips a Crochet Squishy Bicone, while making the main body a Crochet Rigid Bicone.  I can see alot of different permutations using different combinations of construction.

Or say, for example, you find that the main body of the current iteration is not rigid enough for power throws, which deform the body and cause wobbly flights.  I could beef up the main body with a harder filler or embroider additional yarn onto the surface.

Anyways, this is all very fun to think about  Tongue  I like making ammo as much as I enjoy making slings.

I also thought about something really crazy:  Tear-drop shaped ammo, a cone sitting on a sphere.  Could this fly point first or sphere first depending upon how its constructed and/or loaded in the pouch?

I was also daydreaming about games earlier and that was fun too.  Cheesy I want to make a thread of all the fun games I can think of.  I thought of one earlier that made me laugh.  Okay say there is a group that has alot of people who don't know how to sling.  They could be the zombies that chaotically try to reach a fort defended by slingers.  Some could be hungry berserkers and others like slow moving slugs haha.  If they get hit they have to act like they die and lie on the ground dead until the game is over.  Maybe they could wiggle around a little, moan, and crawl toward the fort for drama.  2 shots would permanently kill them.  Grin   When they are far away, the shot would be considered mortar--if the ball lands within 10ft of them it explodes and they fall down.  If they are close, the shots must hit them.  If ANY zombie reaches the fort, the zombie team wins.  If ALL the zombies are killed, the slingers win. After the game is over, the slingers can teach the zombies how to sling.  OMG that sounds like sooo much fun.

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #19 - May 25th, 2020 at 9:56am

I've been thinking more about the spherical-cone (tear-drop) ammo.

A spherical cone might naturally excel for contact slinging sports if it would fly sphere first.  It would hit with the blunt force of a sphere, while possessing the improved flight of a bicone.  It would represent a best of both worlds, so to speak.  Such a ball would be much easier to construct compared to the things I was thinking about earlier to make the bicone better.

I'm going to start experimenting with this idea.  So I really need to finish my sling so I can test it haha.  So I'm going to work hard on the belly of my sling today  Wink  But I want to crochet a rigid spherical-cone with overall dimensions similar to my last ball. 

woohooo!
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2020 at 11:34am by StarLight »  

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #20 - May 25th, 2020 at 12:42pm

This crocheted ammunition looks so lovely that I wouldn't mind getting struck by one  Grin 
Good work, I would like to have one to sling inside the house.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:16pm

StarLight wrote on May 24th, 2020 at 2:55pm:
Haha.  The texture does look like a grenade. I never thought crochet could be sooo OP. it definitely needs to be nerfed in the next patch.  Grin

Lol! Well if it makes you feel any better as an almost 40, past my prime guy I feel the same way about Henry Cavill.

“Wow. Someone won the genetic lottery... Wait...he’s rich too? And hes famous??! Son of a... next youre gonna tell me he has a British accent? Wait.. WTF?! Devs cmon your killin me here, nerf him already!”

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #22 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:50pm

StarLight wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 1:56am:
But there is another solution.  I could design each section of the bicone for its essential task.   The tips don't need alot of of strength, since its smaller radius of curvature inherently gives it more strength and it's not under any loads in the pouch.  I could drop a yarn while crocheting the tips and create a separate internal chamber specifically designed for shock absorption.  Thus, I could make the tips a Crochet Squishy Bicone, while making the main body a Crochet Rigid Bicone.  I can see alot of different permutations using different combinations of construction.

In my experience, teardrop shaped stones tend not to fly as well as football shaped stones. There is something about the wobble during release, because they don't sit symmetrically in the pouch.  I actually think your original design would be the best. Although the oil might end up splatting out on people's clothes. Grin

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:57am

you either have very small hands or those are huge !

Very clever idea Thumbs Up

'nerf him' ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2020 at 10:05am

Thanks Tejo and Curios Aardvark!

Haha. Morphy, that's so funny what you said about Cavill.

Yeah, I've been thinking alot about that same thing, Irongoober.  A long time ago, I slung some small clay tear-drops.  I think the cone length to spherical diameter ratio (lets call this cone-sphere ratio) was 1:1 or less.  They slung really well POINT FIRST to my astonishment haha.  If I loaded them sphere first in the pouch, they would flip in the first 20 feet of flight, preferring point first.

I'm thinking most glandes may have problems because the density is homogeneous throughout the material.  Thus, the center of mass is not optimized for flight.  The assymetrical gland picks up a wobble rolling down the pouch.  Once airborne, if the surface area in front of the center of mass (let's call that Front Surface Area) is too similar to the surface area behind the center of mass (let's call that Back Surface Area), then drag cannot stabilize the projectile. It kinda see-saws.  The see-saw effect is due to the shape of the tear-drop.  At first, when the projectile moves away from the center-line of forward direction, the destabilizing force of the Front Surface Area is large, and the stabilizing force of Back Surface Area is small.  But as it continues, the Back Surface Area gives drag an increasing rate of stabilizing force, while the Front Surface Area gives a decreasing rate of destabilizing force.    So eventually, the Back Surface Area exposed to a corrective drag force becomes greater than the Front Surface area exposed to a destablizing force, and the projectile starts moving back to center-line. But upon reaching centerline, it continues past and the problem repeats.  Its a whole lot more complex than this, I imagine, especially since its spinning and there's all sorts of other stuff going on too I bet. 

On the other hand, if the Back Surface Area is much less than the Front Surface Area, then the projectile may flip and stabilize, which is what I observed along time ago.

What I'm working on is a multi-chambered teardrop projectile.  This will allow me to customize the density profile and shift the center of mass forward, decreasing the Front Surface Area so that the projectile stabilizes upon release.  I have a few different ideas to try in this regards.  I don't have alot of materials here to work with.  So some of the designs may be a bit weird, but ooooooh well. haha. But hopefully, one of these ideas will produce a stable teardrop with a cone-sphere ratio of 1.5 because I think that would be a really great size for a tennis ball sized ammo (2.75" wide by 4" long tip-to-tip). But I'd be ok with 5" long i guess. Smiley

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #25 - May 27th, 2020 at 11:54am

Oh yeah, and although I'm playing with the center of mass and moving it forwards, I'm going to tether it to the back tip and sides of the ball so that upon impact, these surfaces will compress the filler for shock absorption, taking away some of the impact that would of been felt at the front.  The ball will act like its being hit from all sides at once to some degree.  I hope it all works out  Cheesy  I'll show you soon  Wink

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #26 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:37pm

Sounds awesome. You're going to need to charge people $20 a pop for your highly engineered custom ammo! or get several traded slings out of the deal.

John R.

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Reply #27 - May 28th, 2020 at 4:28am

Uhh this is all starting to make my head hurt haha.  I'm going to do something else for awhile.   Grin

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #28 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 2:22am

Any updates on the tear-drop ammo?

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)