Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Waxing a wool/cotton sling? (Read 713 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Waxing a wool/cotton sling?
May 20th, 2020 at 7:42pm

I have a cotton yarn sling that I’ve been thinking about waxing. Has anyone tried this before? The braid is fairly tight and I think it will keep it from fraying and looking fuzzy but on the other hand it’s also not really a reversible decision. I want to make sure this isn’t a really bad idea before trying this. Anyone have any experience in this area?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Waxing a wool/cotton sling?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2020 at 10:12pm

Not with wool but I wax all my dyneema slings.
A nice sink full of warm water removes a lot of the wax if you need too as well.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2020 at 11:38pm

Haven't waxed cotton myself, but I imagine it would be better waxed than un-waxed. Cotton frays easily, and wax would really help add durability, but because cotton isn't a stiff fibre, if it was waxed it shouldn't be too stiff.

I really like waxed wool, as long as the elasticity has been removed beforehand. Waxed wool is really good in all weather, its very very durable, and it still remains 'floppy'.

As long as the sling is not 'thick' waxing works well.
I wax mine by dipping the sling in liquid beeswax, and then run my hands down the sling to rub off the excess (wearing rubber gloves) while it is still hot.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2020 at 6:43pm

Thanks for the info guys. So I went ahead and waxed a small part of the release cord near the pouch. Figured if it wasn’t to my liking at least it would offer some potential abrasion resistance.

Turns out it makes the texture quite nice but it darkens the colors of the braid so much you almost can’t tell what the pattern is. So I guess for now I’ll just leave it as is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)