Send Topic Print
My slings (Read 1632 times)
Tony Hedgewolf
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

My slings
May 20th, 2020 at 4:27am

Hi All!
First, thanks for the warm welcome.  I've been messing around with various projectile weapons most of my life and now I'm living in the woods in northern Sweden, it's time to actually get competent with the sling.

So, here's my first attempt at posting pictures...

First, a few pouch slings of slightly different types. So far my favourite of them is the 'H' pouch. The cupped shape is quite forgiving of my random shaped and sized ammo 😂
Next, two Balearic-style. One made from acrylic knitting yarn, using a belt-weaving setup for the pouch. Lots of fun, second favourite but quite stretchy.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2020 at 12:05am by Rat Man »  

One.jpg (367 KB | 20 )
One.jpg
Two.jpg (362 KB | 53 )
Two.jpg
Three.jpg (360 KB | 18 )
Three.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: My slings
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2020 at 7:55am

Welcome Tony!

Your slings look fantastic! Our newer members are really stepping up their sling making game these days! I especially like that woven one on the bottom. Do you have a link for the belt weaving setup you used to make it?

IP Logged

Tony Hedgewolf
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2020 at 8:00am

Hi, and thanks for the lovely response! (Also, apologies... I realise the pictures are very big and I should have put them in a different thread... still learning)

The belt weaving gear is actually something I make to sell. If you have instagram, you can find me there (same name)

Otherwise, give me a while to figure out how to resize my pics and I'll add them here 😀

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2020 at 1:21pm

Morphy wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 7:55am:
Our newer members are really stepping up their sling making game these days!

Far better than my first slings Cheesy I would say I only got competent after about 2 years of sling making Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tony Hedgewolf
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2020 at 2:15pm

Thanks a lot! To be honest, these aren't quite the first ones I've made, although I haven't made very many!

Also, thanks to whoever turned my huge photos into links for me 👍

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2020 at 2:56pm

Tony Hedgewolf wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 8:00am:
Hi, and thanks for the lovely response! (Also, apologies... I realise the pictures are very big and I should have put them in a different thread... still learning)

The belt weaving gear is actually something I make to sell. If you have instagram, you can find me there (same name)

Otherwise, give me a while to figure out how to resize my pics and I'll add them here 😀

threads fine - but yes, please resize before posting.
21mb for just 3 pictures is kind of taking the piss Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2020 at 12:07am

Nice looking slings, Tony.  I shrunk your pictures for you. I used MS Paint.  It's a small program that's simple to use.

IP Logged

Tony Hedgewolf
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2020 at 1:28am

Thanks so much!
I'm afraid the problem here is that I do all of this on my android phone, so things are a bit clunky at best!

I have now downloaded an app (litphoto for anyone interested) so I can be better behaved in the future 😎

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:47am

Kick wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 1:21pm:

Far better than my first slings Cheesy I would say I only got competent after about 2 years of sling making Cheesy

I think we better step up our game Kick. At this rate in a few years every new member will be braiding masterpieces for their first slings.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #9 - May 21st, 2020 at 10:17am

Morphy wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 9:47am:
Kick wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 1:21pm:

I think we better step up our game Kick. At this rate in a few years every new member will be braiding masterpieces for their first slings.

Ha, I wish my braided slings looked as good as these do! I have the construction down, but I still need to figure out how to make the braid look cleaner. These slings look really well-woven.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2020 at 2:34pm

Nice slings Tony!  I'm a big fan of the 'H' pouch and variations of it myself.

IP Logged

Tony Hedgewolf
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2020 at 5:34am

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback!
Since there seems to be some interest in the weaving, here's a picture of my little belt loom.

I measured out the strands, warped it all up and then clamped off near the centre and wove the split pouch using two shuttles. Then the cords are just a round four-strand braid.

Hopefully the picture will be more appropriate this time 😉

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)