Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What ammo for public park? (Read 3802 times)
Shakli

City Slinger

What ammo for public park?
May 20th, 2020 at 1:13am

I have some rubber balls that are 3cm diameter,  but they bounce like crazy.  Thought golf balls...  Tennis balls seem to big can't load up with ammo with out having to bend down.

I wish I could find 3-4cm long footballs.  I really like throwing with spheroid shape ammo.

At a loss...

IP Logged

StarLight
Tiro

Woohoo!

Re: What ammo for public park?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2020 at 4:15am

Hi Shakli!

Here's a magical fairy wand! Cheesy It picks up tennis balls  and hangs onto my shorts when I'm not using it.  I used to love slinging tennis balls at parks and I can't wait to try my new wand soon haha. Let us know what ammo you end up liking the best Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2020 at 4:50am

I don't understand your problem with tennis balls. They are great safe ammo, don't fly too far either for retrieval.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2020 at 4:58am

Tennis balls are probably the most “publicly” accepted ammunition. Golf balls are not recommended in public

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2020 at 7:53am

Anything you wouldn’t want to be hit by is probably not great ammo for parks. I’ve had a couple close calls in my younger, more foolish days and it’s just not worth it. Tennis balls are also great because you can practice at a tennis court and the fence will keep everything in.

I prefer the tennis balls made for dogs which are smaller and denser yet look like tennis balls.  If bending over is an issue there are all sorts of cheap devices that you can use to gather tennis balls without throwing your back out.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2020 at 10:35am

I agree. Tennis balls are the way to go.  If you want spheroids, you may have to build yourself a mold and make your own. There are a lot of prop-making urethane foams that would work.  Or you can do something like this:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1572045361/5#5

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2020 at 12:35pm

I prefer the tennis ball's less popular cousin, the street hockey ball.  The weight is very close, a street hockey ball usually weighs a few grams less.  They don't have any fuzz, so if they get dirty cleanup is easier.  And they are designed to be low bounce.  If you drop a tennis ball and a street hockey ball from the same height, the tennis ball bounces 2-3 times higher.  No precise measurements for that, just eyeballing it.

Although if one of your issues with a tennis ball is the size, this won't be of much help because that is pretty much the same.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2020 at 1:23pm

Tennis balls are best for this. What you need is a good ammo pouch. There are some good suggestions here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1496762002/0

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #8 - May 20th, 2020 at 1:27pm

Since you seem adept at making your own ammo and prefer non-spherical shapes, perhaps you could make some rusty balls, but change out the sand for something more lightweight, like foam beads?

As I recall rusty balls are heavyweight balloons with the tube bit cut off and about 10 or so stretched over an interior material like sand (dry sand). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQQk8meHXE

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2020 at 1:28pm

Rusty balls are great sling ammo, but they hit real hard.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2020 at 1:31pm

Hence the suggestion to change the sand to foam beads.

John R.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2020 at 3:48pm

IronGoober wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 1:27pm:
Since you seem adept at making your own ammo and prefer non-spherical shapes, perhaps you could make some rusty balls, but change out the sand for something more lightweight, like foam beads?

As I recall rusty balls are heavyweight balloons with the tube bit cut off and about 10 or so stretched over an interior material like sand (dry sand). 

ooh this could work well just have to find some really small balloons.  Thanks so much  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2020 at 11:52pm

These are balls from a New Zealand game called GolfCross.  I've never tried them but they look like they'd be awesome sling projectiles... though not necessarily for a public park.

NZ.jpg (103 KB | 55 )
NZ.jpg

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2020 at 1:26am

Wow!  More than $40 for 6 golfcross balls?  No wonder it hasn’t become more popular!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:46am

IronGoober wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 1:27pm:

I may have to look into this as well. Seems like an excellent safe-ish ammo. At least as safe as tennis balls. And I also don’t care for spherical ammo when I can avoid it so this might be the best of both worlds. Thanks IG.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)