Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fingerloop around thumb (Read 4196 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Fingerloop around thumb
May 19th, 2020 at 7:14am

Anyone else has slung this way? It fundamentally changes the way you sling because now the release cord is on top instead of below as with a standard ring or middle finger grip. The release is sooner and it takes some definite getting used to but I am going to continue and give it more practice. The release feels a lot cleaner and it makes failed shots with the release cord wrapping around the retention cord after a throw almost impossible. If you are going to do this I do highly recommend an adjustable fingerloop, because it doesnt'seem to work as well on my slings with not-so-tight fixed finger loops.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Fingerloop around thumb
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:42am

I tried it a long time ago but you’ve inspired a revisit, tomorrow I will try it, thanks for the inspiration

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:31am

Interesting. I will have to try that. I’m a firm believer that the delay between finger release and pouch opening is one of the biggest challenges for accurate and consistent throws.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:14am

Have you noticed this changed your point of impact? I know when I’ve switched fingers there’s an adjustment period. Not a big deal just curious.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:34am

Morphy wrote on May 19th, 2020 at 9:14am:
Have you noticed this changed your point of impact? I know when I’ve switched fingers there’s an adjustment period. Not a big deal just curious.

Definitely

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:47am

Make sure the cords arent twisted

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2020 at 3:07pm

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone use a thumb retention. Could be interesting to try Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2020 at 3:27pm

I was considering trying something similar to try and get flat stones to spin properly to sling-skip them on water. Have you tried it? I think it might be more important to have the proper wrist orientation (to rotate the pouch during release), but thumb retention is certainly worth a try.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:35pm

I tried it but went back to using my ring finger.  It just seems more natural to me.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:53pm

I’m with you ratman, tried it but it just doesn’t feel right , I guess I’ve already imprinted my technique into my brain.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:20pm

I tried it and I think I could get used to it but I think the difference is very subtle. My throws were just as bad as usual Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2020 at 2:47am

With the retention around the ring, middle or index finger I quite often had mishaps with the release cord sliding along the retention cord during release and getting stuck at the pouch and wrapping around it, killing the shot (anyone else?). This clearly indicates to me that there is too much interference and I was looking for a way to get rid of this. I figured this happens because during windup the release cord is below but on a release it has to flip, go around and open up, opening up all kinds of possible areas of interference. Putting the release cord above the retention to get rid of seems to be the way, and this is only possible as far as I know with thumb retention. Now on the release, it's completely free from any retention interference. Another way to get rid of it is probably with a very stiff and tapered sling like Luis'balearic sling. I imagine this is how the Balearics tried to solve this problem and create a smooth release with standard finger retention. The Balearic sling virtually can't wrap around itself on release and the pouch opens up wide, hence they're known for being such smooth releasing slings.

I think I am going to stick with it, initially it felt awkward but now it's starting to feel really good, and the releases are more clean. I haven't had a mishap like I described earlier yet and done about a 100 live throws so far.

Try to dry-fire with thumb retention 50 times or so to get a feel for it. In the end use what works for you and experiment

After I got more practice in the coming months we will see how great this improves my overall slinging and I will report back.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2020 at 4:54am

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the cleanliness of a release. How you hold your hand and where you place both retention and release cords, sling materials and design.
Slinging truely is as individual as fingerprints. Lots of similarities but no one exactly the same.

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2020 at 7:24am

I'm quite conviced that L. da Vinci drew this grip somwhere, but I can(t put my hand on a precise ref. Damn.
It's the first time I hear someone is actualy using it.

A very intresting fact about this grip is that, if I'm not mistaken, for a given throw (let's say sidearm, palm forward,) your cords are switched (retention up, release down, right hand throwing), and  your stone will spiral counterclockwise. therefore, a low density projectile (like a tennis ball) should curve to the left

Please keep in mind tht's just theory, I've never actually practised this.

EDIT: Here's a low quality version of Da Vinci's drawing. barely usefull but still...

EDIT AGAIN: This post might contain false infos as the grip depicted is not what I thought. I posted without a good verification. I will try not to do it again. Naughty boy. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2020 at 4:18am by Frondeur »  

Figure1.jpg (53 KB | 73 )
Figure1.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2020 at 7:45am

I used to have a problem with the release cord fouling the shot. That stopped when I used a wider grip. I need to try this just to see how it feels. Mersa said it well I think, it’s difficult to pin down one fix because slinging is not like throwing a baseball. In baseball everything is so regulated and consistent. We are all using different lengths, styles, ammo and materials. However I will say that finding what fixed my problem was a relief and if this works for you that’s awesome.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)