Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Trees/Staves/Bow Wood (Read 7999 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Trees/Staves/Bow Wood
May 16th, 2020 at 11:27am

I thought I would make a thread discussing trees/wood for various primitive weapons and technology, their differing properties and your experiences with them. Seems like we have a group here that enjoys this subject and of course selfishly I’m hoping someone here can ID these two trees for me while I’m at it.   Wink

So the top I’m thinking “might” be white cedar? But I don’t know cedars all that well.
The bottom I don’t know because I’m not sure that the leaves you see in that pic are from that particular tree. If you can guess just by it’s distinctive bark that’s probably the best I can do picture-wise at the moment.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Trees/Staves/Bow Wood
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2020 at 3:55pm

The top tree may be hemlock.  Need to see a close up of the needles/leaves, or cones, fruit or nuts.  May also be a cypress or juniper. 

Bottom looks like some flavor of juniper, too.  But again, I'd need to see leaves or fruit/cones if it has any.  Keep in mind that Eastern Red Cedar is actually a juniper.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:19pm

Much appreciated Bill. The bottom pic does look like Juniper I’ve seen out West but didn’t think we had it out here. I would love to get a nice juniper stave to work with out here.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2020 at 10:42pm

Are there any hulls, shells, nuts on the ground?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:13pm

Can’t say I know either of the top of my head but definitely look like some type of conifer. More pictures of leaves (needles),twigs ,fruit (cones) will probably help get a positive ID.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:21am

@Bill- No nuts or any sign like that. But the cedar looking one does seem to have juniper like berries. Wasn’t sure if cedar has something similar or not.

@Mersa-The cedar one definitely has needles and the “juniper” berries. When I go back I will see about getting pics of the needles close up. The bottom tree had no leaves lower down and everything was so intertwined it was hard to tell what were it’s leaves vs something else.

My original fascination with the cedar was that beautiful , perfect stave er... branch on the left. I got out of my car and looked at it up close just to make sure it wasn’t a mirage. Grin

Judging from the bark the grain was near perfect. If I owned that land it would’ve been pruned a long time ago.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2020 at 11:52am

I am building a bow right now from a stave of hawthorn and so far I am really liking the properties of this wood

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:35pm

I am kinda blown away by the performance of this piece of hawthorn. It draws near 35 pounds and that's for a few hours of work, yesterday. It shoots way faster than my 26 pound rolan snake. I tried to imitate the longbow shape. It's my best work so far. I am using a paracord bowstring because the hemp one snapped.

The stave I cut it from has only cured for a week. So far no cracks in the bow and not a lot of set. the woods feels dry but of course it isn't.  I am just gonna let it dry more. We will see what happens to it. The hardest part of bow making is really waiting for the wood to age. I will see if I can post a picture of it. On to the next.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:48pm

no sanding, no filing, just carving and chopping

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:14pm

Nice work there Jauke.  That looks like it's coming along nicely.

I've got one to throw out here.  I was going through all the staves I have on hand.  Some I've had for more time than I would like to admit.  I have them all identified except for one.  This was likely an eBay purchase but I no longer have any order information on what it was.  Unfortunately there are only a couple things to go on.  The first thing is bark.  The second is that this would have been purchased as a bow stave.  So it's likely to be a wood that would commonly be sold for bow making.

I was thinking hickory but I'm not sure.  I've looked at pictures of different tree bark online, but nothing seems to match exactly.  If anyone has any thoughts, I would be glad to hear them.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:32pm

Ahh very interesting. My first thought was also hickory. Is it ring porous? There’s a simple-ish test for determining specific gravity I believe in the TBB 4. Might help. Does look like hickory I’ve used in the past though.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2020 at 10:03pm

I would say yes, that it is ring porous.  The early wood rings are very narrow, but it does look to be the case.  I'll make a note to look for that SG test when this stave comes up in line.  That completely slipped my mind.  Thanks!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2020 at 3:04pm

I know this is slightly offtopic but Ligustrum also makes amazing atlatl darts, it grows straight in the perfect size and the wood is very tough but flexible.  My practice atlatl darts just have fire hardened tips and they have bounced off rock, wood, metal and richocheted into all directions hitting all kinds of objects and the majority of them are still fine.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2020 at 4:04pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 3:04pm:
I know this is slightly offtopic but Ligustrum also makes amazing atlatl darts, it grows straight in the perfect size and the wood is very tough but flexible.  My practice atlatl darts just have fire hardened tips and they have bounced off rock, wood, metal and richocheted into all directions hitting all kinds of objects and the majority of them are still fine.

Not off topic at all. This thread is for discussing any wood(s) and it’s properties. I had to look up that tree. Wasn’t familiar with it.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:33pm

Hawthorne is in the apple family.  Apple will make a good bow.  Although most would rather have the fruit.   Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)