Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mistake cutting staves (Read 2559 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Mistake cutting staves
May 14th, 2020 at 5:46pm

Went out to split the staves into smallrr ones, and to test how dry, well i didnt realize i cut em too small roughly 44in in length.  I also spraineed my ankle while cutting this tree down, i have no other excuses then that. I know there are different types of smaller bows,  i might go that route. Any suggestions?? It is ash, i also took a walk to some other ash trees on my land.  Those I will cut down, to the correct length, unfortunately i will have to wait till next year to work on.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Mistake cutting staves
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2020 at 6:39pm

Not a problem at all. Ever spliced together billets? Sounds like this is your chance. Sister billets are especially nice since they are from the same log you can insure the two billets are as close to each other in properties as possible. 

You can use them for making small bows but be warned they will grossly underperform against even a very crude long bow. This isn’t a huge deal but unlike the longer poplar bows where with a back and taking it slow you might actually end up with a decent shooter, a 44” bow even reflexed with sinew will not perform near a decent long bow.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2020 at 6:55pm

Good to sse your reply.  I have never spliced wood, at all. This ash was gonna be my first ever bow.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2020 at 7:05pm

Sorry this happened. The ankle too.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - May 14th, 2020 at 7:10pm

2 piece takedown bow
Or a nice atlatl

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2020 at 7:10pm

Me too, but looking up the spliced billets,  i think thats something  that i can do,jyst without powertools, as i dont have a bandsaw anymore.  The ankle, mostly healed. Took a few days off of work, gives issues occasionally but i can live with it

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2020 at 7:15pm

Mersa wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 7:10pm:
2 piece takedown bow
Or a nice atlatl

I wouldn't even know where to start on a take down bow.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2020 at 9:34pm

Spliced billets is the route I would take as well.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:19am

I am a bow noob as well but I can recommend using smaller saplings or young trees first, ones you don't need to split. I am collecting staves left and right to dry but can't help work away at some fresh ones either in the mean time, even if they crack. Make sure there are not too many knots, and especially not on the belly, they might add character but they sure aren't easy to work with.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2020 at 3:14pm

What are thoughts on carving out a bow with green wood?? I got plenty of that, in poplar,  and i got some huge maple staves i cut up a couple montha ago.  I will be cuting down another ash tree, all mine have big burls on em, i can use in the future.

I might try an tackle the spliced wood later on, cuz i have no idea what iam doing.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2020 at 6:25pm

If your maple staves are what we called rock or sugar maple, I would save them for later and practice on the green poplar, which will probably check, crack, split and warp.   But, you will learn to make a bow and you still have the maple to use  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2020 at 7:38pm

The maple is a sugar maple, i tried to tap it. But it was partially dead. So i cut it for firewood.  I will let it dry till next year, and save it for later. I do have dry and green poplar.  From a few different trees i had cut down.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2020 at 8:32pm

vetryan15 wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 3:14pm:
What are thoughts on carving out a bow with green wood?? I got plenty of that, in poplar,  and i got some huge maple staves i cut up a couple montha ago.  I will be cuting down another ash tree, all mine have big burls on em, i can use in the future.

I might try an tackle the spliced wood later on, cuz i have no idea what iam doing.

With a few exceptions I like to take 3-4 staves and reduce them to floor tiller. Reseal the last 8 inches on each side and toss them in a warm dry place. Then on to the next. Once reduced to floor tiller, especially woods like poplar, will dry super fast. No need to bother with green bows. If you have a hot box with a fan in it you will have more bows than you know what to do with in a matter of a week. Without, just put them in front of a box fan and flip once in the morning and once at night. Two weeks max before it’s ready.

And yes, I agree with Walter. Save those beautiful maple staves for when you have a little practice. Such a beautiful wood...

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - May 16th, 2020 at 5:11am

Great advice,  thank you very much. I think i will be starting out some rough shaping within a week. I also found an old maple i cut up last year. That has some nice branches to practice with., along with the poplar

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:00pm

If you have a heat gun, you could make a Plains type highly deflexed bow.  I have a bow that is 56 inches long that I draw 28 inches.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)