Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Creating a score book for slingers (Read 2261 times)
Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Re: Creating a score book for slingers
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2020 at 4:10am

oh, and just for the compulsive data collectors: the weight of the sling.

By the way, what is the ideal proportion of mass (clumsy phrasing here... Roll Eyes) between the sling and the projectile?
Is there one or is it a groce oversimplification ?
Or can we stick to the idea that a lighter sling is always the best, and the ideal sling would have no weight at all?

Anyway the only info on this question was a vague indication that the stone should weight at least two times the sling (somwhere in one of Hondero's wonderful books) in order to effectively transfer the energy. More tips on this?

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 9:22am

In various (dis)order :
I may had a vocabulary-related brain fart.
To clarify what I had in mind, I am building a database of wich the main access will be an internet page, but I will eventually later add a phone-specific access.
I only have a dumbphone but I'm pretty sure you can access internet on a smartphone, no ?
So the main purpose is really to note down your training progress, with a option to use the data for scientific use, in an anonymoius manner obviously (well, if you are a slinger with a 30cm armspan, using a 2,50 meters sling to shoot a cube of plutonium of 12 cm... it will be quite easy to follow your progress even without your name :p )

The main point is the target. I thing I will go with Teg's proposition, but with a twist : I will add the possibility to note your long distance training or speed measurement. I don't think anyone is doing one of those while target slinging ?
JudoP and Sarosh, will it respond to your demand ? because I must admit I am pretty sure to NOT understand what you are speaking about Cheesy
I also thought of something in the middle of the night : in archery, you can shoot at 3D animal forms, does it sound a good idea to you to add this possibility ? I can pre-select a selection of animal to allow you to choose from them.

Frondeur : good idea, I will add it as an option ^^

Lusitano : I planned to do something like a "friend" option where you allow friends to see your records, or you could organise mini-competitions

Jaegoor : It could be useful, as a comparison. Could you please attach it to a post ? or send me a PM ? Thanks !

woodssj : I think I will now use "lost to the winds", there is a poetic air to it, something nautical that feel nice ^^ even if you loose the negative side of the cabbage pile Wink

NooneofConsequence : You change your sling in middle of session to "reset" your feel for the sling you are using, right ? then you resume shooting with the first one ? If it's the case, do you count the hits with the reseting sling or only the "main" sling ?

---

Someone once said to me that a good conceived database is half the work done... but we are working to create a monster :p

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2020 at 10:51am

Caldou, good idea for 3D animals form.
Because, just an example, my target is a rock. Its size is about a stag. Yes, it's not perfect but it's practical. A can on the beach has a size about a crow.
It's very practical for the members who don't have a target, who sling things during their walk.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2020 at 12:28pm

DOA=arctan(diameter/range)  ( solid angle)
by performing DOA measurements you know if there is any improvement in consistency.
whereas if you measure 10% hits on a  balearic diana you don't know if you are consistent or not, you might be 1 or 90 DOA.

100% hits on a balearic diana (0.5mŲ) at 20m would be " 1.43 DOA slinger "
100% hits on a 10cm Ų circle at 20m would be "0.28DOA slinger" and because it's a small number we can start talking about MOA 0.28 DOA = 16.8MOA

It's a better way to measure consistency because it's independent of distance and it's a little nicer and more understandable than saying 0.025 diameter/range ratio or saying a score . It's very easy to compare with other slingers , it's not depended on targets/ ranges.

It's similar to how rifle/airgun accuracy is measured , stats from groupings. Another similar measurement is CEP  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_error_probable 
and there are many other statistic measurements you can make or even graphs but DOA is just one number that can communicate just what you need in slinging. It's a measurement to rule them all.

There is one and big drawback though: you need to make a grouping image and that is not easy for slings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)