Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings made from old shoes (Read 302 times)
duckdiver
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

san mateo coast
Slings made from old shoes
May 11th, 2020 at 7:20pm

I made my first sling like this in a cub scout group, long ago.
Nowadays I just use paracord sheathing (core removed),a soft leather pouch on a finger to shoulder length sling.

Start removing the laces, followed by with cutting the tongues out of what ever shoes/boots you you’ll never wear again, and can’t give away.

Fold half lengthwise and note rough centerline., poke string holes about 1/2” from each end on CL.  Don’t worry about being exact, all material skews somewhat from what you’d expect.  You’ll adjust skew mostly in the next step.

Insert shoelaces at each end, bunching/rolling excess.  Tie w slip knot and 3 half hitches.  leave 3x the lace diameter as excess for knot security.

Stretch pouch by pulling laces apart to get ~ “True” lengthwise centerline, then fold in half to quarter pouch. Trim edges to leave a cool, right looking pouch shape, leaving ~1/4”  on each side of the hole.  Unfold and close-trim for final profile.  Then adjust and tie fingers rigging as you like, and start chucking.

Unless you’ve a fair amount of practice with cutting folded shapes, a little practice with cutting paper first, can save some tongue.

The width of the tongue ~ pouch width.  Pouch length is as long as you can get or want, by how far you can cut into into the body.  With symmetrically shaped pouches, the length is often limited by seams and such.  Old leather boots can make several slings using the whole boot. After recently seeing asymmetrical pouches on this site for the first time, I’m eyeing some old shoes for possibilities like incorporating seams and such.   
🤙

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)