Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tools (Read 2235 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Tools
May 9th, 2020 at 3:56pm

Pretty sure I’ve done this topic before but new day, new people.

What tools are your favorite? Why? What do you use them for? If you could have any tools what would you get?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Tools
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2020 at 11:25pm

All of the old hand tools

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2020 at 3:27am

This axe is my valuable tool. It's good for chopping, sharp as heck so good enough for shaving and light carving, portable and damn good quality considering I got it second hand on eBay for something like £25. Absolute steal. If I had to have only one tool, I would pick this and that's over any knife I own. I've used it for making spoons, kuksas and for splitting mini logs for my tin can stove but it can do basically anything I throw at it.

The one tool that would greatly improve my life and speed up... everything would be a belt/disc sander. I love what sanding can do but doing it by hand... The second thing that would help stuff out would be a drill press. Third would be someone to come and sharpen all my tools because I still suck at it Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2020 at 5:00am

I use my Victorinox Forester a lot. I use the saw to cut young trees, branches and notches. I use the knife for food prep, cutting, carving and debarking. The reamer for making holes in leather and the can and bottle opener for their uses all the time.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2020 at 4:27pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2020 at 5:45am

I go back and forth on whether I want to own a lot of power tools. In one sense my favorite part of bows is the design aspect and the faster you can get the heavy reduction down the more bows you can design. On the other hand I like the old ways.

But I would personally like to have another good size bandsaw. I think they are just too valuable not to have. A lamination grinder, belt sander and maybe a nice random orbital sander.

As for hand tools I have an idea for one I want to make that hopefully I can get done sooner than later and then share on the forum.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2020 at 6:06am

I have been building up my tools for a couple years now,  i have been trying to get one version of a power tool, and its manual old time version as well.  Been using more hand tools since we hsve no power, but i did pick up a generator to run some tools.but recently been using my dehydrator the most, hooked up to the generator.  Trying to build up our supplies, and good storage.  But i use all the tools equally , chainsaw,  axe,  hammer. Hand saw, coal forge is up and running, so once i start using it. I will be making most  of my hand tools,  to prep for zombies. Just in case

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:21pm

Morphy wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 5:45am:
I go back and forth on whether I want to own a lot of power tools. In one sense my favorite part of bows is the design aspect and the faster you can get the heavy reduction down the more bows you can design. On the other hand I like the old ways.

But I would personally like to have another good size bandsaw. I think they are just too valuable not to have. A lamination grinder, belt sander and maybe a nice random orbital sander.

As for hand tools I have an idea for one I want to make that hopefully I can get done sooner than later and then share on the forum.

Personally, I think a succesful bow made with primitive tools, even better stone age tools, is a more valuable skillset than being able to make a 'traditional' high grade commercial bow with power tools. Even if the stone age bow only draws 30# and only lasts a few months.

So if you are aiming purely for survival skills, I would definitely go no-power-tools.

This is also why I am going to learn to process nettle fiber and make twine from it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2020 at 9:38pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 4:21pm:
Morphy wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 5:45am:

Personally, I think a succesful bow made with primitive tools, even better stone age tools, is a more valuable skillset than being able to make a 'traditional' high grade commercial bow with power tools. Even if the stone age bow only draws 30# and only lasts a few months.

So if you are aiming purely for survival skills, I would definitely go no-power-tools.

This is also why I am going to learn to process nettle fiber and make twine from it.

Some really good points Jauke. I went ahead and added making a bow with just flint tools to my list of projects. I have still not done this yet but it would be a good experience. Speaking of making cordage, if you haven’t tried using a drop spindle I highly recommend it. It’s easy to learn, fun and very effective for making high quality primitive bowstrings.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2020 at 1:57pm

A circular saw is pretty much an essential tool.  You could use a hand saw to do most of the same jobs but it takes twenty times as long.  A chain saw can be a useful item also.  After the tornado hit here in 2015 the stores sold out of them right away. I was lucky to find one.  Lesson learned.  I won't be without one again.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2020 at 4:14pm

Hmm, solar powered dehydrator would be pretty simple.

In summer all you need is a small fan and a box with trays.
In winter a guess a small heater would help.

The other way would be to add something inbetween the top of your stove's chimney and the outside chimney and siphon some of the heat off to use in the dehydrator. You could just a 4inch 12volt pc case fan.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2020 at 4:20pm

As far as hand tools go: my gerber plierman 600 multitool and my little mantis buzzard 1 inch blade knife are used every single day for something or other.

power tool wise. I use my cordless drill a lot. And in the wood shed, the bandsaw and the disc sander I made from the lathe are most used.

Although hands down the tools I use most in everyday life are my He3d k200 3d printer and my £100 pc, I do all the designing on.   

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2020 at 4:06pm

A chainsaw is very useful but also very dangerous. I wouldn't recommend one unless really required, an accident with it usually requires an airlift

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:00pm

Chainsaws are great , use them everyday I work. Danger and risk can be reduced with proper training and PPE. Chainsaw pants are a must.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:38am

A multitool or Swiss Army knife don’t really count as a tool so much as a set of tools, and to me they are convenient but less than ideal for most jobs. For me, the tool I use the most every day is a good pocket knife... specifically the mini griptillian by benchmade. I own two of them, and I feel naked without one in my pocket.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:32pm

In that I have always done most of the cooking (these days all of it) one tool I use more than any is my meat cleaver.  It's one of the handiest tools in the kitchen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)