Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging - How and where to you practice? (Read 3895 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Slinging - How and where to you practice?
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:33am

Morphy wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 6:06am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 1:40am:
Morphy wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 6:55pm:
Let’s see I’ll be 40 next year and I started sling at around 11 years old. I have yet to meet a single person that was a serious slinger in all my time doing this. That is a sad fact of slinging and one reason I really want to eventually get to Mallorca, even if just once, to take part in that group experience.

Morphy... Definitely go to Mallorca, but after this whole pandemic nonsense eases up, we need to arrange a get-together. I may not qualify as a serious slinger, but at least I only live a few hours away Smiley

I suspect you are more of a serious slinger than I have been for the last 3-4 years.  Grin .  You know what would be cool would be to set up a Texas slingers get together before heading out to Mallorca. I know we have quite a few of us out here in the Lone Star State.

Well, if I put half the effort into slinging that I have on reinventing the wheel on sling designs, I would probably be a much better slinger by now!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 11:58am

i scout places on my mountain bike, my favourite so far are by the river. Infinite free ammo thats perfect and also i get to do distance shots and see where they land in the water or i can set a target up on a raised bit of a bank to practise overhead

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2020 at 2:45pm

I used to brachiate every day before slinging because i found it is very good for the upper body.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #18 - May 15th, 2020 at 2:48am

A good sling range is nice but just having a sling at all times seems to promote the surprise slinging sessions.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - May 15th, 2020 at 7:11am

Hi folks,
Just got back to slinging at my old gravel all weather football pitches.
The pitches are back to back so i have a target in middle about twice the size of cricket stumps. Plenty of run off/on for steelballs to collect.
I sling 4oz steelballs from either end of pitch towards target, about 70 to 80 yards.
Took a few days to get some kind of accurcy back.
Including bouncing hits, I average about 2 hits out of 15 sling shots at moment.
I tried 4oz clay glandes, and they flew beautifully, but get smashed up pretty quickly, i keep them for grass rugby pitches.
TIP - magnet on string, great for collecting ammo.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - May 16th, 2020 at 11:20am

visited the range today , there are trucks and workers changing the landscape , probably flood control. They are covering the stones with soil Cry
every time I search for a new place I realize how important is a steep cliff for sling practice.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - May 16th, 2020 at 11:36am

Sarosh wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 11:20am:
visited the range today , there are trucks and workers changing the landscape , probably flood control. They are covering the stones with soil Cry
every time I search for a new place I realize how important is a steep cliff for sling practice.

I feel your pain. That sucks. My wife and I are in the early stages of buying a home and a sling range where I can set up a dedicated backstop is on my list of must haves. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s really difficult to practice enough to get good without one. Either you lose your hand made ammo that you spent your precious free time making, or you lose your stones that you had to gather, sort, weigh etc.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #22 - May 16th, 2020 at 11:59am

They're clearing a lot of the fallen branches from the willow trees that line the one side of my practice are and someone moved the big log I use to hold up the target into the piles of branches to be cleared up! I dragged it a little way out and around the side of a tree but I'm fully expecting it to be gone on Monday  Cry

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:31am

I use to live between the railroad tracks and a school.
If I wanted to shoot stones, is shoot at the tracks with not bad rocks.
I'd also go behind the school and practice hitting a spot on the wall with a tennis ball from a fairly short distance.
That was a great set up, I'd often take the tracks home on purpose to get some slinging action in.
Nowadays I sling sporadically but I prefer short distance target slinging.
Maybe 10-20 meters?
I enjoy slinging longer distances but I like actually hitting things hahahahahaha

IP Logged

Peashooter
Tiro

Have fun Storming the
Castle!

Reply #24 - May 19th, 2020 at 3:38am

I used to practice at a tennis court in a park, slinging tennis balls at a target that was attached to the fence using bungee cords.  The court being surrounded by a chain link fence kept me from running all over to recover my ammo.  Though some strong shots could sneak through the chain link, so I had to be careful if someone was nearby on the other side.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - May 19th, 2020 at 4:16am

The best way to consistently practice your slinging, you really need to be able to do it right outside your house. That's how the ancients did it. If you have to go someplace to sling, chances are likely you can only do it once a week or so. if you can do it on your property you can make it part of your morning routine or do it whenever you feel like it.

I made owning property where I can sling as much as I like, what I like, one of my big goals in my life.
Until then I can sling on my parents property, but only to 15 meters max distance, using rusty balls.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - May 19th, 2020 at 4:58am

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 19th, 2020 at 4:16am:
The best way to consistently practice your slinging, you really need to be able to do it right outside your house. That's how the ancients did it. If you have to go someplace to sling, chances are likely you can only do it once a week or so. if you can do it on your property you can make it part of your morning routine or do it whenever you feel like it.

Which is why I so desperately want a garden Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:33am

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 19th, 2020 at 4:16am:
The best way to consistently practice your slinging, you really need to be able to do it right outside your house. That's how the ancients did it. If you have to go someplace to sling, chances are likely you can only do it once a week or so.

Pretty much.  If I live 5 mins away from a park I still won’t go often enough. If I walk outside and sling I’ll do it every single day and never even get bored of it.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2020 at 3:24pm

In a local there is an oblong hill that forms an L. If you place your target in the corner of that L, finding your ammo again is a joy.

I sling once every other day, as I found doing it everyday hurt my accuracy. Three rounds of 12 rocks.
I used to throw at a bottle but I have thrown at a little cobber plate since I found one in the trash. It already has to bumps on it and I can't wait to see it completely crippled.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)