Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging - How and where to you practice? (Read 3896 times)
Lusitano
Tiro

Spin fast... Throw hard!

Portugal
Slinging - How and where to you practice?
May 8th, 2020 at 5:12pm

Apart from this forced quarantine where we are mostly confined to our houses, I am curious regarding how
everyone practices slinging.

From the forum it appears that the majority here practices slinging solo and it appears that there are very few organized groups and training methodology.

So, do you have any kind of instructor or a defined practice plan (for example correct warm-ups and specific training). Do you mantain regular training?

And where do you usually train? Do you have nearby venues where you can practice in safety (for yourself or others) or you seek locations free of people (like isolated beaches/forests/moutains) for your practice. Is it legal to do so in your country? For example I have no idea if it would be allowed to sling outside my residence.

Cheers

IP Logged

Randomline
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slinging - How and where to you practice?
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2020 at 5:38pm

Newbee here.  I'm pretty amazed at how fun it still is after a year or so since starting. 

I carry a sling in my pocket at all times and throw when I can (before or after work, lunch breaks, etc).  On the weekends the dog and I go out early and spend a couple hours in the woods, throwing rocks and dog balls for him to catch (the dogballs that is - where the grass is short).  I throw the rocks in tall grass, and he just chases after them through the field until he comes back for me to throw the next one.  He seems to enjoy it as much as chasing and catching the ball.

I watch youtube videos to improve my technique.  My favorite are ones by that practical paracord guy.  He is ahead of me in his learning by about a year I think, so it has been great to watch all his progress and how he gets better and better.  It has been helpful to me.  His last few videos have really given me some great tips.  I really jumped ahead on accuracy after he mentioned feeling the weigh of the rock as its spins around and working on what he calls the pull.  Working on that awareness was what I needed.  Now I just need more practice, and lots of it.  Did I mention how fun slinging is. Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:55pm

Speaking from past experience here. We are planning on buying a house on a little land and then I will be back to this. But:

I used to live out in the country. I had a field right outside my front door. I could literally step outside my front door in the morning and sling off my front porch.

I set up a shooting lane that was ~40-45 meters at the furthest point. I had a swinging 9” circle target made from tough rubbery material made for shooting. I would usually sling anywhere from 50-200 shots a day at different distances. I found eventually that as you get good ammo and more practice at long distances that 10m shots became really unsatisfying so eventually began practicing mostly at 25ms to 60ms or so. (Longer shots just being in the field rather than down the shooting lane).

I started with large Balearic targets and worked my way down to smaller targets. A lot of practicing and refining of  throwing form naturally occurs as you practice. Good ammo is essential. A backstop is pretty darn close to essential as well if you’re serious about getting better. Unless you are lucky enough to live in an area with perfect ammo all over the place. I’ve heard such places exist. Beautiful women bring you beer as you throw and wipe the sweat off your brow. I’m not sure it’s real though.

I started stretching at this time, approximately 8 years ago, a practice I maintained to this day. No reason to let your body get stiff as you get older.

Weight lifting meant to stabilize and protect throwing joints, limbs and muscle groups need to be looked into more. As with war bow training I think there’s a lot one could do to become a beast of a slinger, if one knew the proper exercises and training.  I don’t so I stick with 4-5 oz stones and I’m happy with the damage/speed I get.

Let’s see I’ll be 40 next year and I started sling at around 11 years old. I have yet to meet a single person that was a serious slinger in all my time doing this. That is a sad fact of slinging and one reason I really want to eventually get to Mallorca, even if just once, to take part in that group experience.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:07am

yes to all
I constantly seek places.
haven't slinged from february due to measures. so I dont maintain regular training right now.
I ve never met in person anyone more interested in slinging than me, if/when it happens I'm pretty sure I will doubt my reality , maybe I'll go through stages of depression acceptance happiness and bliss.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2020 at 6:41am

My practice space is well documented in YouTube videos Cheesy It's pretty good but I would prefer it if it was further away from the paths and houses; less because I worry about hitting someone, more because I would prefer fewer distractions. I have a very informal practice schedule. My basic practice is... just go and sling for a bit. I change up styles, slings and distances all the time. The challenges have been good for giving me a bit of focus Cheesy

The International Competition in Mallorca this past February/March was the first time I had met in person people that had even the slightest interest in slinging, let alone the best slingers in the world. It was really incredible. I met David Morningstar and Hubert (Uve) at the airport and withing minutes we were discussing Roman siege equipment, various different sling styles and how we had been practicing for the competition. It was really amazing. I picked up a lot of tips and advice and got to meet people I had been talking to on here but had never had the chance to meet. I'm counting down the days to the next one and I hope the corona situation is fully under control by then. It was honestly one of the best holidays I've ever had. I hope to go for longer next year and get to see more of Mallorca which is such a beautiful place.

Sarosh wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 3:07am:
if/when it happens I'm pretty sure I will doubt my reality

I definitely had this Cheesy The fact that I could talk about how I had been having trouble with my Balearic style but found lifting my elbow as i went into the throw helped a lot and the person I was talking to was actually interested and understood what I was saying was amazing. I'm so used to people's eyes glazing over and them saying "...uh huh..." and then changing the subject as far from slinging as possible. It was also reassuring to see how many amazingly friendly, nice people we have in our little niche interest. Everyone got on, the competition was still a competition and people took it seriously, but no-one takes it too seriously. No matter who got called up for a prize, everyone was clapping and cheering and happy. If you look at the photos of the winners, it's hard to tell who came second or third because everyone is just as happy as everyone else up there Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2020 at 3:00pm

I do almost all of my practicing while walking my dogs.  There are lots of woods around us plus the schoolyards are good places when school is out.  There are also many lakes to practice distance in.  For most of the year the parks around here are almost empty. I find various targets of opportunity.  My last Husky Dogs, Kali and Odin, were much better walkers than my current crew, Pandora, Max, and Benji the Terrier. Consequently I don't get as much practice as I used to.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2020 at 1:07am

In my living room.  Cant wait till the local park opens up and I can try there.  Not many options in the city.

IP Logged

Lusitano
Tiro

Spin fast... Throw hard!

Portugal
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2020 at 1:59pm

Randomline wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 5:38pm:
Did I mention how fun slinging is.

It sure is. Also got the bug  Grin

Morphy wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 6:55pm:
Let’s see I’ll be 40 next year and I started sling at around 11 years old. I have yet to meet a single person that was a serious slinger in all my time doing this. That is a sad fact of slinging and one reason I really want to eventually get to Mallorca, even if just once, to take part in that group experience.

Yeah,  it appears that aside from very few places the slinging activity is very scattered and not seriously practiced other than a few people.

Sarosh wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 3:07am:
haven't slinged from february due to measures. so I dont maintain regular training right now.

Sarosh. Hope this situation soon improves and you are able to start again slinging Cool

Kick wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 6:41am:
he International Competition in Mallorca this past February/March was the first time I had met in person people that had even the slightest interest in slinging, let alone the best slingers in the world. It was really incredible.

It sure looks nice. Maybe one day we meet there  Wink

Shakli wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 1:07am:
In my living room.  Cant wait till the local park opens up and I can try there.  Not many options in the city.

Hope that this situation improves soon. Shakli ,are you allowed to sling in a local park?

Now I practice in my backyard. I can sling and place a target @10 meters, but I will try (after the coronavirus) to find a place to sling longer distances safely.

Rat Man wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 3:00pm:
There are lots of woods around us plus the schoolyards are good places when school is out.

Great! I also have some woods nearby, I have to seem if I find a isolated place to sling. Grin

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:51pm

I usually head down to a nearby wooded park/trail to practice - There's not usually too many people around, and there's plenty of nice, big trees to serve as targets. The rocks, though there are plenty of them, can be sub-optimal at times, but it's a nice place, especially when I'm feeling a bit stir-crazy. I usually just gather a pouch full of stones, and sling at a tree until I hit it.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:20pm

I eat in the park every day a very nice one i might add..there is  a spoils heap way way in the back..i use that for about an hour every day
i am 74 years old and my back hurts after that so  just walk the pathways ..october time is wonderfull I  use buckeyes in the husk if i run out onthe ground  there is a guy who is 6 foot four he will get them out  of the trees for me  with my stick.  fun place nice people

IP Logged

duckdiver
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

san mateo coast
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:29pm

I’d break your ? into at least 2 areas chucking vs conditioning.
For conditioning try putting a thick rubber band around the pouch with ur fav ammo, and go thru all your slinging moves like martial arts katas.

For chucking in urbin areas, a low profile tech like the Apache, gets the least attention, often they just think your throwing rocks and crazy so they just avoid you.  For twirling techs I had fun using short slings and tennis balls are fun when jogging, even if you hit a car or whatever by accident, it causes min damage or noise.  Lots of walls and such that you can use like handball and catch them on the rebound.  Then theres the odd rat or wild pig. 🤙

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2020 at 1:31am

I do the best I can with 10-15 yards of open lane in my suburban backyard. I stick to tennis balls, because rocks don’t work well with neighbors on all sides.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2020 at 1:40am

Morphy... Definitely go to Mallorca, but after this whole pandemic nonsense eases up, we need to arrange a get-together. I may not qualify as a serious slinger, but at least I only live a few hours away Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2020 at 6:06am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 1:40am:

Morphy... Definitely go to Mallorca, but after this whole pandemic nonsense eases up, we need to arrange a get-together. I may not qualify as a serious slinger, but at least I only live a few hours away Smiley

I suspect you are more of a serious slinger than I have been for the last 3-4 years.  Grin .  You know what would be cool would be to set up a Texas slingers get together before heading out to Mallorca. I know we have quite a few of us out here in the Lone Star State.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2020 at 6:31am

I have a couple of state parks and wildlife preserves near me where I can practice. They're usually open enough that I don't have to worry about people.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris)