Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
thriftshops (Read 765 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

thriftshops
May 8th, 2020 at 4:55am

I love thrift shops a lot. I visit one at least once a week.

If you search you can often find some really nice 100% wool stuff out there for a bargain, which is what I am mostly after.

Second I also always look for old tools of any sort, preferably wood working tools and analog drills and whatnot. Any of the ingenious precursors to our powertools.

All my leather is from thrift shops as well.

Then there are always those miscellaneous items that pop up and you have to get.

Do you like thrift stores as well?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: thriftshops
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2020 at 8:09am

Love em. A while back we were going to buy a nice blender for making smoothies. Rather then just buying new we wanted to see if we could repurpose one. Found an $80 new blender for 15 at the thrift store. Also great for all the things you mentioned.

What I really want is one good story of going into a thrift store and seeing an expensive rare trad bow for pennies on the dollar. Has yet to happen. I’ll also settle for some nice tools.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2020 at 4:09pm

Being the frugal soul that I am I also enjoy thrift shops. You can save a fortune by buying clothes there. It's always fun to take an hour or two and see what bargains are there.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2020 at 4:11pm

I love second-hand shops. Most of my clothes are second-hand and I am constantly on the lookout for cool finds. I highly recommend the Facebook group Weird Second Hand Finds That Just Need To Be Shared. Loads of cool stuff and amazing stories. Currently, because the lockdown is impeding people's ability to go shopping, they've been sharing pictures and stories about grandparents and other ancestors. Really incredible, interesting stuff.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2020 at 9:17pm

@
Morphy

The one and only rare find (excluding books) I have come across was a Fred Bear bow hanging on the wall in a quasi antique store. The limbs were reflexed right out of the fades, so someone strung it that way. Backward. I could see a broken thread at the top nock, but there was very little pressure on the string or bow. Priced at 60 dollars.
I bought the bow, brought it home, grabbed some arrows and headed for the woods. Happiness. Loved this 47lb bow Shot it for weeks before I brought it to the local bow shop to show the pros and see if they knew anything about this FB model.
Turns out it was one of the rarest of the FB company bows because the majority of them delaminated due to the aluminum lam in the middle. That lam came from one of the B52s used to drop the bomb in Japan, which of course ended the war.
So, instead of hanging the bow on my wall, I put it on ebay Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2020 at 9:35pm

walter wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 9:17pm:
@
Morphy

The one and only rare find (excluding books) I have come across was a Fred Bear bow hanging on the wall in a quasi antique store. The limbs were reflexed right out of the fades, so someone strung it that way. Backward. I could see a broken thread at the top nock, but there was very little pressure on the string or bow. Priced at 60 dollars.
I bought the bow, brought it home, grabbed some arrows and headed for the woods. Happiness. Loved this 47lb bow Shot it for weeks before I brought it to the local bow shop to show the pros and see if they knew anything about this FB model.
Turns out it was one of the rarest of the FB company bows because the majority of them delaminated due to the aluminum lam in the middle. That lam came from one of the B52s used to drop the bomb in Japan, which of course ended the war.
So, instead of hanging the bow on my wall, I put it on ebay Smiley

Lucky man!  Cheesy Did you get a decent amount for it?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2020 at 10:06pm

Well yeah, I still don't regret selling it though it was not showing any signs of delaminating. If they do before blowing up Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)