Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Knives throwing, scanf and slinging (Read 1583 times)
Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Knives throwing, scanf and slinging
May 4th, 2020 at 9:12am

Hello everyone !

I’ve been interested in knives throwing for a while, but never came to it. Then, about 10 days ago, I found out about scanf technique, also known as Fedin style. I literally fell in love with the visual impact of the move (let alone the impact of the knives…) and decided to have a go and explore a bit.

It’s all about waves and elastic forces. It occurred to me that it could be related to slinging. I found a quite interesting speech of Yuri Fedin, witch I thought could be of some interest here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pABtULnec

Let me be clear : nothing new here, really. Just other words to think what I do.
Fedin style is all about wave. Just take a look at this slo-mo of Luis Pons to see his whip-like wave motion,  and the uses of those elastic forces. (please note that I don’t regerd this as “scanfing” per se, but the two moves seems to share some mechanics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwlZJ5IlN68

I do not know yet if this is gonna lead me somewhere, but I sure do enjoy this little exploration.
Have fun slinging, everyone !

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Knives throwing, scanf and slinging
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:32am

That is an interesting technique.

Some of the throws made me think of this: https://youtu.be/2m2vmTtcCM8?t=96. Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:33am

Aaarggh - is there any point where he actually throws  a knife from more than 5 feet ?

I mean apart from how boring it is - surely it's just basic throwing mechanics ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2020 at 1:28pm

Beide Methoden haben tatsächlich etwas gemeinsam. Etwas was ich hier schon öfter erwähnt habe.
Die Hüfte ist bei beiden Methoden elementar. Sie finden es auch bei Axt oder Speer werfen.
Ich selbst werfe Axt, Speer, Messer.
Das schnelle kicken im Video ist unnötig.
Sie wirft mit Drehung. Ihr Erfolg hängt von der Distanz ab.
Die No spin methode ist nicht abhängig von der Distanz. Hier wird das Messer bis zum Schluß geführt. Das hat für mich am ehesten eine Gemeinsamkeit.
Das Video selbst ist nur mäßig. Es gibt deutlich bessere.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2020 at 6:55am

Well, the point of this technique (and the grip that goes with it) is that it creates another articulation in the chain : hips, torso, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and then the weapon -be it a sling or a knife.
That articulation allows the knife to lag behind freely. And this is why it looks a different mechanic as the « standart throw » to me.

After three week of exercises, it doesn’t affect my slinging by itself, but surely expands my thinking of the form, and help me to relax the throwing arm. Sure having fun with this.

As for the boring part, I guess that’s what you get when a weapon master is talking about the basics whithout showing off… learnig IS somewhat tedious, and I like it !

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2020 at 10:59am

Not being a knife thrower myself I had a hard time grasping this until I saw the ladies throw. There is definitely a wave type motion going on. How would this compare to the no spin technique? I’m assuming this is normal spin based on the video?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15)