Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iceman’s bow and archery equipment (Read 611 times)
duckdiver
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

san mateo coast
Iceman’s bow and archery equipment
May 4th, 2020 at 12:09am

Came across this comparison of the iceman’s archery gear, including a comparison to other self bows on the primitive ways site.  Lots of interesting posts of wide range of tech as well as cooking techniques.  Even a couple of slings.

http://www.primitiveways.com/Otzi%27s_bow.html

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Iceman’s bow and archery equipment
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2020 at 11:32am

I think the current theory is that the stick was actually a walking stick rather than an unfinished bow.  Or, if it was a unfinished bow, he had just started work. 

BTW, I haven't actually heard of a true bow makers' opinion of the staff.  Yew has to have a layer of sap wood for the back and the heart wood for the belly or the bow will break very quickly.

The only pictures that I have seen show little to no sap wood and the grain is violated in a lot of areas, which will cause the bow to break when floor tillering.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Iceman’s bow and archery equipment
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:19pm

Bill Skinner wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 11:32am:
Yew has to have a layer of sap wood for the back and the heart wood for the belly or the bow will break very quickly.

I heard differently on this once.  While the layer of sapwood definitely gives a yew bow that iconic look, I heard at one point that the tensile strength of the sapwood is greater than the heartwood by only a very small amount.  It was a while ago when I saw it, but I believe the guy in the video was shooting a yew bow of only heartwood.

Although take that with a grain of salt, it was the only time I've heard that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)