Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Retention cord placement - Accuracy improvement? (Read 2293 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Retention cord placement - Accuracy improvement?
May 3rd, 2020 at 12:24am

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with changing where they put the retention cord? I used to have issues with my accuracy if I changed fingers (like ring finger).

I personally always put it on my middle finger. Recently, (actually several years ago now) I changed the loop to be placed on the the middle phalange (between first and second joint of finger) but more toward the first joint  instead of all the way to the back of the finger (where a ring would sit). 

This change improved my consistency, (subjectively, no hard data). It also made it so that if I switch fingers, (but keep the placement the same, i.e. in the middle phalange) I don't seem to notice a difference in my shot placement. I think that it helps because it lengthens the lever arm from the wrist. It seems to add more control. I think it is akin to wrist snap when throwing. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I noticed Jaegoor places the retention cord in a similar position after studying some of his videos today. If anyone is struggling with accuracy and puts the retention cord at the back of the finger, this might be something to try.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Retention cord placement - Accuracy improvement?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:44pm

I’ve briefly tried what you mentioned but I admit I didn’t give it much of a chance. Might have to revisit it. Are you using a retention loop that tightens on your finger to keep it in that exact spot?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:00pm

I have a sling where I made the loop barely big enough to fit on my finger (on accident), so it is similar to a tightening one. I think I might switch to one that tightens in my future slings.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2020 at 10:03pm

Cinching finger loops are the best

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:51am

Yes. It affects the timing. The wider the gap between the retention and release cords is, the faster the ammo exits the pouch after you let go of the release cord. The timing difference will result in a small change in angle in the direction of the swing. It will be more obvious with a horizontal swing (like Byzantine) than vertical (like underhand).

If you consistently miss to one side after multiple throws, sometimes changing fingers is just enough to dial a shot in.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2020 at 8:18am

this is my standard grip

Just how I naturally gripped my slings from the start.
You can adjust the width of grip to match the ammo in your pouch (with a solid pouch you are not limited to ammo size as you are with many split pouches).

I find that cords hanging down parallel to the ends of the pouch give a cleaner, more consistent release - and you should NEVER have the missile hit the release cord.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:49am

I have used everything from a wrist loop, (which pinched the nerves in my wrist and was quite painful) to a palm wrap, to almost every finger. 

I really haven't found much of a difference in accuracy.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:04pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 12:51am:
Yes. It affects the timing. The wider the gap between the retention and release cords is, the faster the ammo exits the pouch after you let go of the release cord. The timing difference will result in a small change in angle in the direction of the swing. It will be more obvious with a horizontal swing (like Byzantine) than vertical (like underhand).

If you consistently miss to one side after multiple throws, sometimes changing fingers is just enough to dial a shot in.

I always liked this idea. It reminds me how you would tune a bow by bringing the gear in line with your point of impact instead of vice versa. Not sure which is better but it’s something I would like to test some day.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2020 at 1:59pm

Used to have the finger-loop on the middle phalanx of my middle finger for a long time, but now I have switched to the middle phalanx of my index finger as it feels to me more comfortable and more controllable. I never have the finger-loop to the base of the finger, as it feels less good for accuracy. Generally speaking though, I think something that has a much bigger effect on accuracy are release knots. Considering that all of the best 'shots' (that I have seen anyway) don't use knots, there must be merit to it. I personally can't stand them as I find they prevent a smooth and gradual release.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:35am

Interesting observation!

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 12:51am:
The wider the gap between the retention and release cords is, the faster the ammo exits the pouch after you let go of the release cord.

Would it then be even better to place the retention cord on your ring finger?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2020 at 3:13pm

I sling with the loop on the base of my ring finger.  I've tried other fingers, combinations of fingers, and a wrist loop.  I find using my ring finger the most comfortable and accurate.  Of course everyone is different.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:43am

@Curious Aadvark gotta try the bottom grip

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #12 - May 9th, 2020 at 6:03pm

I started with putting it on my index finger, but then I decided to put it around my middle & ring fingers together. I usually hold the down cord in my fist (lightly, with the knot against my little finger.) I've pretty much stuck with this ever since, though I'm not sure how it affects my accuracy.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2020 at 11:44am

Mine rests on the "middle phalanx" of my ring and middle fingers. I use a two finger loop.
When I started slinging I used to place the cord at the base of my fingers but it was always sliding forward to rest in the middle so nowadays I just place it there in happy acceptance:)
As for what finger you use, most of you may not remember Pikaru but he told me what his father told him:
Placing it on your forefinger is more for power and height and distance while traveling down the knuckles makes for a more ground level shot.
I found some truth to this but my fingerloops are for two fingers and I always keep it on the same ones so it's a moot point for me.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:05pm

after much practice i have also settled on the middle joint middle finger hold ..i sling underhand .i use a one turn method and as i bring my hand up to release  ago palm up and point at the target withe my middle finger ...For me it works like  a dream   I have Improved my accuracy by 70 percent ....of course that is not saying much.I use a 31 inch sling I am five foot seven tall
it workes like magic for me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)