Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trajan column rernactment (Read 1721 times)
funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Trajan column rernactment
May 1st, 2020 at 3:16am

Roman Auxiliary Funditor Slinger Impression at home
Being the sling World Champion this year this seemed suitable

Equipment general and position is based on Trajans Column by Cichorius
Sling bullets weight shape, material and preparation are based on Lambaesis finds 120g
Sling is based on Egyptian find.
Three thoughts came up during posing:
- Sling Grip was taken shorter as sling length is very short depicted for both slingers on the relief, and also for the one on Marcus column. Perhaps they used really heavy projectiles?
- Generally the position seems very active
The shield far away from the body is very straining for posing, but this position could be a snapshot of the throwing process, which involves the shoulders and also the left hand if you want to generate good force. Also the sling pointing backwards is only possible in movement
- The rather cloak of wool was well suited to hold the bullets, they remained safely in the fold in principle, as the cloak part on the other hand of the arm has a sufficient counterweight. Only the display of the bullets to the audience is difficult, as they easily fall out when viisible from outside. This is probably only for audience display reasons. Also the size of the projectiles in the pocket looks much smaller than the one in the sling.

20200430_202809.jpg (423 KB | 80 )
20200430_202809.jpg

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Re: Trajan column rernactment
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2020 at 3:17am

Here the section as published by Cichorius

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2020 at 7:34am

Awesome! They would definitely have been lucky to have such a good slinger on their side Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2020 at 3:46pm

sling length most likely artistic licence.

Cool pose !

I would say what idiot would go into battle barefoot - But Uwe is not an idiot Smiley

Still, lots of sharp and pointy things on a battlefield.

Tghat chest high ammo holder is also interesting. That crops up on quite a few pictures.
Guess it was a 'thing', just doesn't look practical to me.

How does it work when you move about ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 7:11am

I completely forgot that you had done this recreation! I was thinking of doing similar. At least I was going to see how easy holding ammo in a cloak and reloading is. Having tried it a little, I can see it actually works very well. Holding the shield up and an arm full of stones... I can't see that, not for any long period of time and I can't see it making sense in a battle. The good thing with the cloak pocket is that you can access stones without having to dig around in a bag which would be difficult with a cloak on, so perfect for colder weather fighting. Holding the arm to the chest also closes the pocket very well and is really very secure. I can easily see running around a battle to be possible like this, particularly after some practice. I plan on making a video soon.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 10:43am

Moving around works quite good in general.

The shield arm plus projectile weight is extremely heavy and cannot be held over an extended period of time this way. And I had only a small shield. My estimate is to show there are projectiles behind the shield, or during a forceful throw, where the left hanf is extended to add momentum ti the torso/shoulder belt rotation.
Probably barefoot is not a choice, but a lack of ressources, as shoes are expensive and used up every two month walkingnaround by an average Roman military member.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 10:48am

For the sling lenth I see it differently. A heavier stone requires a shorter sling. Also on the Marcus column thebsling is short, and the projectile seems large. I alung 500g stones and felt it tore my wrist almost apart with my 65cm sling. Also the assyrian slings seem rather short, and they used in Lachish 300g balls, compared to the greek that shoot these lighter 20-70 lead glandes, and have longer slings according to the Ainanian and Pisidian coins.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 11:31am

One thing with sling length is the medium though. Carved stone can't be too long and thin so that might play a factor. I can see them making the slings shorter to ensure the carving survived.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)