Send Topic Print
Ever Been Terrified? (Read 930 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Ever Been Terrified?
Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:44pm

Have you ever been truly terrified?  There are two times in my life that I have been.  I've told both these stories here before so I'll give you the abbreviated version now.
    Both were when I was a child.  The first time was when I was almost mauled by two quite huge German Shepherds.  My goose was cooked... there was no way out.  Fortunately my big fat mutt Poochie arrived in a nick of time like the cavalry and beat the snot out of both the Shepherds.  She saved my life. 
    The other time was in the mid 60s.  My town, Pine Hill, got hit by a monster tornado.  When it passed over our house you literally couldn't hear yourself scream at the top of your lungs.  Tornadoes weren't rated back then but this had to be an F3 or F4.  Fortunately no one was hurt and our only damage was to the trees around our yard.  It took weeks to clean up all of them. 
     Those are the two times in  my life that I was scared out of my wits.  You?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Ever Been Terrified?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 7:21pm

In my early 20s I was driving down a highway in Ohio with 4 guys. It was myself and another guy who was kind of nuts in the back. We were going maybe 60-65 mph and saw a patch of black ice coming up. The guy next to me yells "Look!!! Black ice!!" and pulls the emergency brake as soon as we hit it. Suddenly the car is no longer driving it's floating and begins to spin slightly sideways, going down a highway at highway speeds.

Amazingly the guy that was driving was from a cold part of the US and knew exactly how to drive on ice. He put the brake back off and did whatever he did to bring the car back driving straight. We almost made it back perfectly straight before hitting off the ice. When the car hit normal asphalt again it shook like it was about to flip but luckily righted itself.

At the moment it was happening it almost felt like an out of body experience. I was thinking, "Really? THIS is how I go? Wow." But I lived through it.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:29pm

A couple months back we were starting to have some nice days.  The weather was pleasant, but nothing was growing yet.  We'd actually had a good stretch of days with no rain and things were pretty dry.

One weekend I decided to burn some old boxes in my fire pit.  There was a little breeze but I didn't think it was too windy.  I was wrong.  After burning for a little while some of the dried grass around my fire pit started to catch on fire.  I stomped it out, but more started up.  I decided to run in the house and fill up a watering can to wet things down.  (And yes, I can hear you.  I should have definitely had that with me at the start.  No argument.)

I ran in and filled the can up, and when I came back out I saw a big dark area in my yard.  First thought was 'HOLY SH--!!!', and I ran up the hill.  My watering can was empty pretty quick and I was left to stomp out the fire as it spread across the dead grass.

I feel very lucky that I got it out in time and only lost most of the hair on my right arm.  The burning grass was only about 10 feet from the edge of my yard where there was dry brush.  If the fire had reached that, it would have went up instantly and I wouldn't have been able to do a thing in the world about it.  Other than call the fire department and pray they were fast.

It took about 2 hours for my heart to stop racing, and I was cursing myself a fool the entire time.  I've always tried to be careful with fire, but I learned quite a few lessons that afternoon.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:31pm

I went surfing one day , I was at a spot I don’t usually surf at.
Conditions were good when we went out. Waves were big well big for me and I’ve grown up in the ocean.i was nervous to begin with as the surf was on the bigger size of my ability.
A large “set” came rolling over the horizon so I started to make my move to get out of the way, at this point I was stuck in an undercurrent that formed at that exact time but didn’t realise as I was paddling with it. I ended up getting past the waves just as the wind switched, the ocean turned into a washing machine, I was struggling to stay afloat and rapidly dragged with the current I ended up about 1km off shore and about 4km away from where I started  I was stuck between a paddle with the current around a large rock and reef system that would take me further away and not garrranteed safety or paddle against the current to try make it back to shore, I at this point was seriously worried. Conditions were getting worse and the water was like I’ve never been in before. I decided to paddle against the current and try to catch a wave , whatever the size just to get back to shore. I wasn’t scared of getting dumped anymore and was just scared of getting stuck in a worsening situation. I paddled with all my might non stop for over 40mins, I was physically exhausted I was at a point where I knew if I didn’t get the next set (wave) I was done for, at this point it was do or maybe die, I was scared more than I’d ever been, short of breath and could see dark clouds about to arrive, I was almost brought to tears, I ended up paddling as much as I could I missed to first wave of the set I thought this is it your dead, the next wave came I was further out then the last, I thought you gotta make it come on, I paddled and paddled I got on the face of the wave and just made it into the power, I was lifted up and smashed down into the depths I was so exhausted I just remember rag dolling across the ocean floor, I came up after being held down and luckily it was the last wave in the set, I was able to get back on my board and catch a few smaller swell lumps back to shore, I ended up a long way from my starting position and suffering from exhaustion I just sat on the sand, no people no one near me at all . While I caught my breath the storm hit the ocean turned violent and I realised I just made it. I wouldn’t have been able to if I was caught out there. After a hour plus walk back to my car I swore I’ll never surf those conditions again and always with someone. Silly me did a very similar thing about a year later, now I only surf the beaches I know to be tame and only in perfect conditions.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:08pm

You got me beat for sure Mersa, screw that!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:47am

After dogs, meteo, fire or nature, here's war.
Northern Ireland during the troubles, I walked with my hands in my pockets to a soldier on duty. My hand was doing a bump under the coat ; I think he must have believed I was hidind a gun in my pocket to shoot him. He panicked and aimed to shoot me. Luckily, security was set and the blow didn't go away.
This day, I learnt a lot about life. And today, I think a lot about the suffering of the people during the news on TV.
Life is beautiful but she is thus made.
My photo is a peaceline in 2013 in Belfast, a kind of no man's land to protect people. In front of us, it is a protestant neighbourhood.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)