Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Bow Making Challenge - Wait, you can't make a bow with that... (Read 1732 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Bow Making Challenge - Wait, you can't make a bow with that...
Reply #60 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:11pm

Wonderbow snapped  Embarrassed

IP Logged

vetryan15
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Mainers
Reply #61 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Mersa wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:11pm:
Wonderbow snapped  Embarrassed

I know that feeling. With my 2 bows have broken.

@walter can you show a close up of the handle? If anyone else wants to show one here as well. My first 2 bows the handles i carved different, and thats where mine are snapping

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #62 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 4:42pm

i think the handle on this little bow should only be 3" plus 1" fades, but i made it 4" for some unknown reason  noidea
still needs touch up, but i am keeping it in my pvc hydrator cause the relative humidity is a whopping 7%.
worked on a long bow this am and after a couple hours draw weight went down to where i started, but the tips moved about an inch more. put it away also.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #63 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 10:00pm

Well my tree has been condemned so I will have and almost endless supply of Eucalyptus wood. The tree is a monster and I must pay homage in some way . A nice bow would be good. Probably mill up a few table and bench slabs too

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #64 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 1:26pm

Mersa wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 10:00pm:
Well my tree has been condemned so I will have and almost endless supply of Eucalyptus wood. The tree is a monster and I must pay homage in some way . A nice bow would be good. Probably mill up a few table and bench slabs too

One of these days we need to do a bow trade. You trade me a eucalyptus bow and I will send you our native Osage bow.  Smiley

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

vetryan15
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Mainers
Reply #65 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:18pm

Thanks Walter, really appreciate it..

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #66 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 11:01am

the ystick bow developed cracks (frets). I tried sanding them out and scraping more wood above and below the frets, but they came back. Think the reason for all the stress in that area on both limbs is the poundage and tape backing, which allowed the 22lbs draw weight.
It was fun making the bows, but i'm not going to spend time making another, although fifteen lbs should work  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #67 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 3:04pm

Valiant effort Sir!

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Funditor

PA, USA
Reply #68 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 4:12pm

The whole process is going to take a while, but I started chasing a ring on that stud I bought.  Normally I would cut out the basic shape of the bow first, but I want to see where knots are coming through and if there are any other problems.  I think that will give me a better idea what to do when I cut the bow to length and start shaping it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)