Send Topic Print
Writing a book? (Read 1362 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Writing a book?
Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:20am

They say everyone has a story in them.

So the question is, you can write one book about one subject. What would it be?

For me it would be how different indigenous peoples chose the weapons and tools they used and how each choice filled a niche in their community. I find the subject fascinating.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2020 at 11:21am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Writing a book?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 11:18am

So non-fiction? If it's fiction I actually am occasionally coming back to one idea that I REALLY like. It's the most "complete" idea I've ever had and I really like the concept of it... so I won't be sharing Cheesy

Non-fiction is difficult. I feel I don't have enough authority or research skills to be able to really create an informative piece of work. I guess philosophy would be interesting as I feel I have a fairly solid system of how the world works which I've stolen from multiple sources and Frankensteined together. Whether anyone else would find it at all interesting is another thing entirely.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:01pm

I've had a story about a prehistoric man in my head for years.  I should write it.  If it's stupid, at least I tried.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:38pm

I started putting a story together with a friend a long time ago.  The intention was always to make a book out of it.  It was fantasy; swords, magic, dragons, etc.  I tried a couple times to actually write some of it, but found that I was a pretty terrible writer. Sad

I just didn't have enough interest in writing to keep with it and try to improve.  I've always been more of a reader.  Maybe someday I'll try again.  I still have all the story outlines, character profiles, and other stuff we came up with.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2020 at 1:58am

I have contemplated writing a nonfiction book about a few topics in robotics. I don’t think I would do it  while I have my day job though. I already have one side hustle, two of my three boys are still in diapers, and the fourth kid is scheduled to arrive this fall. Not to mention all the hobbies that I already have.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:57am

Kick wrote on Apr 29th, 2020 at 11:18am:
Non-fiction is difficult. I feel I don't have enough authority or research skills to be able to really create an informative piece of work. I guess philosophy would be interesting as I feel I have a fairly solid system of how the world works which I've stolen from multiple sources and Frankensteined together. Whether anyone else would find it at all interesting is another thing entirely.

The most difficult thing is wording.It's boring because you know the concept but you have to write it with the right words so that your idea can't be understood in the wrong  way. otherwise I see nonfiction as simpler to make .  make several points, provide arguments, give sources.
Fiction is difficult because it needs more imagination and at the same time have the right amount of truth in it to make it relatable.

@
NooneOfConsequence
you could try recording yourself when an idea comes up and when the time comes compile them all, because when you find free time you'll probably forget details. there is probably a speechwrite software for your case

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:52am

Very true Sarosh Grin

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - May 7th, 2020 at 6:27am

I found myself to be a much better non-fiction writer than fiction writer. Probably I'd go for a book about different braiding techniques and the like.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:41am

I did write and publish a book about making sweets/candy at home some decades back Smiley

There are currently at least three novels in various states of completion.
One historical, one space opera and a couple fantasy.
The historical one is based on the slave uprising at the laurion silver mines in greece.
Fascinating period of history, all mixed up with the peleponnisian wars.

I did almost finish a small book on picking edible fungi, but I'm not great at finishing projects - much better at starting them Smiley

One of these days the books will get finished.

As far as a decent sized non-fiction book. I suppose these days it would be a sociological/anthropological study of the impact of technology on human soceity in the latter part of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st.

Although I tend to find with a lot of such books, that you just spend your time going: 'well yeah' and 'obviously'. And such like comments.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2020 at 8:43am

Sarosh wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 2:57am:
@
NooneOfConsequence
you could try recording yourself when an idea comes up and when the time comes compile them all, because when you find free time you'll probably forget details. there is probably a speechwrite software for your case

I’m not worried about the recording part. The idea is clear in my mind. The problem is that I will have to validate the ideas and get photos for the book by building and documenting the robot designs... both time consuming and expensive!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)